First Live Performance Videos
-Zion-
Nov 30 2009, 10:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Inspired by Kaznie's recent performance videos (which were awesome btw), I have decided to share my very first live performance with you as well.

After about a years worth of practice almost on a regular basis we ended up playing at our singers 50th birthday party. It also happened to be my very first performance in front of an actual audience so my nerves were quite up there, as you all can imagine.. It didn't make it any better that our previous 4 rehearsels went straight out the window, almost making us cancel the entire show..

Anyways, the performance went EXCELLENT. In fact we all believe that this performance was the greatest we've ever played together as a group, which we are all still riding quite high on, even though it's been nearly two months..

One of the reasons for my nervousness resides in the fact that we dont really have an actual "recipe" for *any* of our songs.. We have more or less always just played, which means that one day my solo is 4 bars long.. the next day it's 6.. next 8.. there is not a certain way we always play a song..

This means that I have not been able to really create a specific solo for the songs we are playing.. Although all our songs are covers, I tend to think that a solo on a particular song is the creators solo as he or she intended it, so for the most part i try to make my own.. And because we have no recipe for our songs, my solos tend to be improvised... there are certain ideas i keep in each solo, but everything else is improvised, adding to my already huge nervousness of standing on stage laugh.gif "Am i going to hit the correct notes today or am i not??".

Anyways, onto the videos..

Camera used is a Sony DCR-SR32 using in built-in microphone, which is why the sound isn't really great. It is, however, a lot better than expected. The video is also recorded (by accident) with night-vision mode, but perhaps it worked out for the best.

First song is a cover of "King Of Death Row" by Vincent Rocco. This song is just awesome, and Vincent Rocco isn't actually famous.. I believe he only made one record back in '92 or '93.. Because it was the first song, I was having some sound problems. My sound was fine by myself, but when the whole band played I was too low..

Our second song (and the newest song), is "Put Your Lights On" by Santana (feat. Everlast). Quite an awesome song, and quite difficult to mimic a guitarplayer as great as santana.. Again totally improvised..

Third song, "Bobby Brown Goes Down" by Frank Zappa. Nothing much to say.. No solo in here..

Fourth song, "29 Palms" by Robert Plant. Awesome Awesome song, and something quite interesting happened when we played this.. If you look closely our singer checks the pegs on the guitar he is playing. It seems something was wrong. In the end of the song 3 pegs gets too loose and two strings actually break.. phew.. laugh.gif Solo once again completely improvised..

Last song "Sweet Child Of Mine" by Guns 'n' Roses. Who doesn't know that one? Something quite funny happened.. I was editing the full video adding song titles, and when i was done, i was reviewing the entire video. When we got to this song, I noticed that "Sweet Child Of Mine" came on just as the camera was zooming in on my daughter.. What a funny coincidence.. laugh.gif
Intro, 1st, 2nd and half of 3rd solo is close to original, but the ending is improvised again..

Thats it.. Not bad for a guy who's been playing guitar for little over 15 months, huh?? laugh.gif I hope you have enjoyed it, cause i certainly have.. I am still watching these videos on a regular basis, and i hope you will comment on my playing as well as the other band members.. I would like every comment good or bad..

Last but not least, thank you for watching.. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 1 2009, 03:23 AM
Instructor
Thank you for sharing this!

very good! you stand with the guitar very low, that looks cool,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 3 2009, 11:34 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Daniel, much appreciated..

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
Dec 21 2009, 06:12 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Zion,

In fact your videos are pretty nice man!
I enjoyed mainly sweet child o'mine.
It's very nice to see that the audience also enjoyed a lot!

Btw you look like Joe Satriani ... lol I'm kidding... biggrin.gif
Thanks for sharing and Keep on rocking mate!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:22 AM