Porcupine Tree, Progressive amazingness :)
Smikey2006
Mar 24 2008, 01:24 AM
GMC:er
I am here to introduce GMC to my current favorite band.. Porcupine Tree.. its Mellow Progressive rock.. and its indescribably beautful so here are so samples smile.gif

My favorite song.. don't mind the video its all about the song smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXkEPk9ibX8

again.. song not video particularly smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPk4CK2Hc3A

again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht-SUtC-Uik

ill post more later smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 24 2008, 01:31 AM
They are ok but far too soft for my liking. It is not much more than pop music in places. I listen from time to time and have seen them once but they aren't the most thrilling band. My band covers Shallow but it certainly wasn't my choice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 24 2008, 01:35 AM
Instructor
I really like them.. brilliant songwriting

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 24 2008, 02:08 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 23 2008, 08:31 PM) *
They are ok but far too soft for my liking. It is not much more than pop music in places. I listen from time to time and have seen them once but they aren't the most thrilling band. My band covers Shallow but it certainly wasn't my choice.

sometimes i find it odd that ive taken a liking to them.. most of what i listen to is quite br00tol to say the least.. but they are sincere musicians and write some truely incredible stuff which i why i hold them in a much higher respect then pop artists smile.gif live ive heard they are great. even Mikael Akerfelt loves them smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 24 2008, 02:22 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Mar 24 2008, 01:08 AM) *
sometimes i find it odd that ive taken a liking to them.. most of what i listen to is quite br00tol to say the least.. but they are sincere musicians and write some truely incredible stuff which i why i hold them in a much higher respect then pop artists smile.gif live ive heard they are great. even Mikael Akerfelt loves them smile.gif

They are ok but nothing spectacular. They are a simple pop rock band with some slight prog additions. I'm more annoyed that he ruined Opeth by making them dead soft. I prefer the music before he started recording their music. Opeth were never supposed to be soft. I do really want to hear their cover of Would though by AIC. Everyone else in my band likes PT but that might be another reason I can't listen to them as they never shut up about them. sad.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 24 2008, 02:25 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 23 2008, 09:22 PM) *
They are ok but nothing spectacular. They are a simple pop rock band with some slight prog additions. I'm more annoyed that he ruined Opeth by making them dead soft. I prefer the music before he started recording their music. Opeth were never supposed to be soft. I do really want to hear their cover of Would though by AIC. Everyone else in my band likes PT but that might be another reason I can't listen to them as they never shut up about them. sad.gif

yea i hear that.. Opeth is meant to be really aggressive .. not that i mind the soft stuff.. it keeps its evil while maintaining the soft buttt i can also relate to the hating a band while everyone else raves about them.. that happened to me once Dragon Force got on guitar hero 3 sad.gif.. everyone was all like ISN"T DRAGON FORCE AMAZING OMG.. and i was like.. yea i knew dragon force was amazing BEFORE THEY REALEASED INHUMAN RAMPAGE AND NOW I JUST DON"T CARE ANYMORE mad.gif but meh smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 24 2008, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Mar 24 2008, 01:25 AM) *
yea i hear that.. Opeth is meant to be really aggressive .. not that i mind the soft stuff.. it keeps its evil while maintaining the soft buttt i can also relate to the hating a band while everyone else raves about them.. that happened to me once Dragon Force got on guitar hero 3 sad.gif.. everyone was all like ISN"T DRAGON FORCE AMAZING OMG.. and i was like.. yea i knew dragon force was amazing BEFORE THEY REALEASED INHUMAN RAMPAGE AND NOW I JUST DON"T CARE ANYMORE mad.gif but meh smile.gif

I remember seeing them support Wasp in 2000 I think it was and then on the Sonic Firestorm tour smile.gif I can't stand them now though. I wanted to see PT in UK again as Anathema were supporting and I love them. Check Anathema out if you haven't already. Fragile Dreams is probably their big song.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 24 2008, 02:49 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 23 2008, 09:35 PM) *
I remember seeing them support Wasp in 2000 I think it was and then on the Sonic Firestorm tour smile.gif I can't stand them now though. I wanted to see PT in UK again as Anathema were supporting and I love them. Check Anathema out if you haven't already. Fragile Dreams is probably their big song.

cool ive never heard of them.. ill check them out

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 24 2008, 02:53 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Incredible band, amazing Atmosphere they can produce.

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Mar 24 2008, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Steven Wilson is one of my biggest idols, I pretty much love everything what he does with Porcupine Tree, the last 3 albums are a must buy if you like this sort of music smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 24 2008, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Mar 24 2008, 03:21 PM) *
Steven Wilson is one of my biggest idols, I pretty much love everything what he does with Porcupine Tree, the last 3 albums are a must buy if you like this sort of music smile.gif

He's one of my heroes too.
Steven Wilson is one of the best songwriters there is. He can make anything sound interesting.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Mar 24 2008, 05:45 PM
Instructor
They are Great!! I really like it!!
Thanks for the links, man!! wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Mar 26 2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor
I really love the GMC forum, so many good videos!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Mar 28 2008, 11:00 PM
First of all, Porcupine Tree are amazing, and one of my absolute favourite bands, I can't even describe how awesome I think they are.

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 24 2008, 02:22 AM) *

I have to say that I can't agree with you. In my ears, Blackwater Park is heavier than Still Life, and Deliverance is one of their heaviest records, so I really don't see how Steven Wilson made Opeth soft. If you say Damnation, then blade Jonas Renkse from Katatonia and not Steven Wilson, Wilson had nothing to do with Opeth's choice to make a soft album. Yes, Wilson contributed with some things to Opeth, but he did definetly not change their music and make it softer. The two "normal" Opeth records he produced are in no way softer than the ones he didn't produce in general. Deliverance is even considered their heaviest album by lots of people, so I really don't understand how you can say that.

And I also second your suggestion on checking out Anathema. I even agree with the fact that Fragile Dreams might be their best song, and if not that it would be empty. ALternative 4 is definetly my favourite album with them at least.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 28 2008, 11:34 PM
i Went and checked out Anathema i already had a bit of thier stuff.. i really like the instrumentals.. but the singing isn't my cup of tea but its good stuff on the whole smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 28 2008, 11:58 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Porcupine Tree are awesome, great band smile.gif

Lazarus amongst others are one of my favourite songs, so beautiful smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 03:07 AM
Their latest album is fantastic for improvising over.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Apr 13 2008, 11:22 AM
the tree might not be one of my favourite bands but my god are they creative and original! Nice band.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:54 AM