42 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2016, 06:10 PM
GMC:er
Each one has it's own bits that make it special. Glad to see you are connecting so well with this backing. I'm glad to see so many of you connecting so well with this backing as a matter of fact!!!! It's hard to beat Classic Pinky Floyd for a solo Jam!! Keep these around for warm ups and for when you are trying out new licks. They come in really handy smile.gif having a background that is familiar and that you know your way around is great for trying things that may seem out of reach at first.

Your playing here is very good Fzalfa!! I think you should get the MERIT BADGE OF HONOR For going back in to the BREACH!!!! You made a really spiff solo each and every time that was fun to listen to. Well done there!! To with, I am honoring your sacrifice with a new piece of heraldry called the "BREACHER" bonus badge. For one who has shown the depth of courage to repeatedly brave the slings and arrows of the enemy and critics alike. Well done, Sir. Well done.

Attached Image

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 30 2016, 08:31 AM) *
Hi Todd

cannot resist to put another one...

Cheers

Laurent

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 30 2016, 06:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2016, 06:44 PM
WELL PLAYED!!!! Everything comes together on this one to make a very spiff take indeed. Your bends are very good here which is something that takes a lot of work. Missing a bend by just a fraction, is often very obvious to the ear. So well done there. Also, your scale work is quite solid and matches well with the backing. You are starting to incorporate a broader variety of licks in to each challenge which is exactly what I want to see! With each one of these, hopefully you will see a new chance to throw something in that you have not used before. It may take a few tries, but I'm sure you can make it work. As you continue to learn new licks with other areas of GMC instructions, bring them all back here and put them to good use in the challenge playing a killer solo. After all, that's the entire point of all this practice and drilling! To be able to express yourself musically during the solo wink.gif Great take!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 30 2016, 09:44 AM) *
Oh man... Those are some seriously great takes from all of you! I never listen to them before doing my own takes just to keep a fresh mind and see what I can come up with on my own. But now I that I've heard them all I almost don't dare to share my simple melody biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2016, 07:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Todd,

In case you missed it, please look HERE

Cheers buddy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2016, 07:56 PM
Very cool take. I like the clean tone on this one the bends are all in key and the notes as well. Sorry if I confused you at any point by mixing up the key, it may have been a type. In general you can always trust the scale tablature that I post in the video and just look at the notes on the fretboard. The root notes will always be in blue so you know where to resolve your licks. smile.gif

Some very good use of blues licks here and very appropriate Dave Gilmour vibe. Your vibrato is good here as well. This is one of my fave solos of yours so far, this is probably one of the best you've done to be honest, so just keep this up and you'll be in great shape! Good technique, good note choice, good execution, it's all there! In short you just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 28 2016, 04:15 PM) *
Hello Todd,
Here's my usual quick take after one listen to the backing. I'll try to get another one in before Sunday Midnight. I meant to put my guitar on the neck pick up but didn't for some reason rolleyes.gif It's on the bridge/middle on single coils. I really enjoyed this one, I think I could sit and noodle over this for hours cool.gif

Anyway, here it is, a single take (sort of. See below). I was a bit confused about he key because you said it is B and then you said it is E but I settled for B as that is what the diagrams show. Also, AND HERE IS A FIRST FOR ME, I started the take without looking at the fretboard and it just didn't sound right, when I looked I saw that I was playing the A minor pentatonic. Not too long ago I just would not have noticed so something is happening to my ears smile.gif So effectively this is a two take wink.gif

I'm quite please with some small parts of it. The first 16 seconds are my favourite and I think the most like Gilmour but obviously light years away biggrin.gif Got some crazy bass going on at the end though sad.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n34CiNs02Gc

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2016, 08:28 PM
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-26!!!!
( AC/DC BACK IN BLACK )
Attached Image
*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.

Direct Link to this Challenge : http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx26

X-26
(IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: This week, a bit of AC/DC! "BACK IN BLACK" one of the all time Great classics. Soloing over this is a HUGE amount of fun. I'd suggest the E Pentatonic and E Blues scales for starters but really, there are no rules as we are not playing cards so go crazy smile.gif

DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  x26.mp3 ( 557.63K ) Number of downloads: 47

5 Minute Jam Version: Attached File  5MinuteVersion.mp3 ( 9.04MB ) Number of downloads: 63

KEY: E Pentatonic/Blues

SCALES TO USE: E Pentatonic, E Blues

E Pentatonic
Attached Image

E Blues
Attached Image

BPM: 92 BPM

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

*Can be SLOW or any speed you like, doesn't have to shred or be fast.
This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

----------

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)
That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

2.)Who can participate?:
ANYONE!!

3.)What do I get?
Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 30 2016, 08:29 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 30 2016, 08:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Woaw !! , it a great honor for me to receive this one from you !!!

nice to please you sir !

Cheers

Laurent

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 30 2016, 07:10 PM) *
Each one has it's own bits that make it special. Glad to see you are connecting so well with this backing. I'm glad to see so many of you connecting so well with this backing as a matter of fact!!!! It's hard to beat Classic Pinky Floyd for a solo Jam!! Keep these around for warm ups and for when you are trying out new licks. They come in really handy smile.gif having a background that is familiar and that you know your way around is great for trying things that may seem out of reach at first.

Your playing here is very good Fzalfa!! I think you should get the MERIT BADGE OF HONOR For going back in to the BREACH!!!! You made a really spiff solo each and every time that was fun to listen to. Well done there!! To with, I am honoring your sacrifice with a new piece of heraldry called the "BREACHER" bonus badge. For one who has shown the depth of courage to repeatedly brave the slings and arrows of the enemy and critics alike. Well done, Sir. Well done.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2016, 09:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,

I thought the bends sounded a little bit flat but I don't seem to notice as much when I'm playing.

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 30 2016, 07:56 PM) *
Very cool take. I like the clean tone on this one the bends are all in key and the notes as well. Sorry if I confused you at any point by mixing up the key, it may have been a type. In general you can always trust the scale tablature that I post in the video and just look at the notes on the fretboard. The root notes will always be in blue so you know where to resolve your licks. smile.gif

Some very good use of blues licks here and very appropriate Dave Gilmour vibe. Your vibrato is good here as well. This is one of my fave solos of yours so far, this is probably one of the best you've done to be honest, so just keep this up and you'll be in great shape! Good technique, good note choice, good execution, it's all there! In short you just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 2 2016, 04:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my take about this week

i wasn't very inspirated, even if the BT is good as hell, but it was hard to jam on

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2016, 10:06 PM
Well Played!!!! I know what made this seem tougher. I see that you are using a Minor Scale for most of the solo. Using 3 note per string solos at speed over this backing is very very tough. Given the pace of the backing, trying to hit the right speed that you are going for requires serious effort. I'm happy to say you nailed it!!!

On this type of backing, using simpler Pentatonic or Blues scales works just fine, but you can make those in the three note per string scales by adding the next note out on each string. This does require a pretty massive stretch, but it's doable smile.gif

I didn't even suggest the minor scale or include the tablature for it, but at this point, you know the Minor scale really well which is something I am very glad to see smile.gif You really pushed the envelop on this and appreciate that!

In short, you KILLED IT!!! Per usual smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 2 2016, 11:17 AM) *
Hi Todd

This is my take about this week

i wasn't very inspirated, even if the BT is good as hell, but it was hard to jam on

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 6 2016, 08:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I had so much fun with the Rammstein collab, I decided I needed to spend more time writing my own bits. So, who can resist AC/DC? Got out the SG and went to work. Lost a bit of focus at the end and got a little repetitive/noodly, but I quite like the beginning lick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2016, 09:15 PM
WELL DONE! The SG works perfectly here of course, as Angus himself would attest. smile.gif The Blues scale is built for this backing and you do a fine job of putting it to good use here. It's a very short chunk of the backing, and works well with nearly any pentatonic/blues lick which is why I was kinda surprised to see so little in the way of response to this particular backing. The Pink Floyd backings seem to get a lot more traction.

Your solo fits right in the slot as it should and the repetitive bits near the end work as sort of "coda" so that is all as it should be smile.gif Your technique and timing is spot on and your bends and multi string licks works well also. In short, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 6 2016, 03:19 PM) *
I had so much fun with the Rammstein collab, I decided I needed to spend more time writing my own bits. So, who can resist AC/DC? Got out the SG and went to work. Lost a bit of focus at the end and got a little repetitive/noodly, but I quite like the beginning lick.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2016, 10:01 PM
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-27!!!!
PINKY FLOYD: HEY YOU

*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.

Direct Link to this Challenge : http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx27

X-27
(IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: A bit more PINK FLOYD. This time it's HEY YOU which has a very spiff solo section.

DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  x27.mp3 ( 944.87K ) Number of downloads: 55

KEY: E Minor

SCALES TO USE: E Minor, E Pentatonic

E Minor
Attached Image

E Pentatonic
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

*Can be SLOW or any speed you like, doesn't have to shred or be fast.
This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

----------

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)
That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

2.)Who can participate?:
ANYONE!!

3.)What do I get?
Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 6 2016, 10:04 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 7 2016, 05:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my take(s).

I have spend near to two hours around this one, to find any idea, so i have listen a lot of cover and live record of this track, thne to finaly get two takes.

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Mirba
Nov 7 2016, 05:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Todd,

I was just looking trough this thread and saw the pink floyd backing. I really like Pink Floyd so I had jam along biggrin.gif Had a lot of fun on this one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2016, 04:15 AM
VERY cool Solo!!!! I really dig how you used bits from the original solo and blended them with bits of your own. I want you to look back at your X1 and X2 solos if you would. They were good! This is really good. You have come a loooooooong way my friend in a very short time. I can still remember when you were doing Bootcamp Missions in the single digits. You really are a good example of how much can be gained from persistence/practice and not giving up. I remember when you hit some snags and worked through them. You would not give in or give up. You were simply determined to move ahead and I want to take a moment to congratulate you.

YOU FREAKIN ROCK!!!!

needless to say, you just

LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 7 2016, 12:30 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is my take(s).

I have spend near to two hours around this one, to find any idea, so i have listen a lot of cover and live record of this track, thne to finaly get two takes.

cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2016, 05:12 AM
WELCOME TO THE SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE!!!! smile.gif
As this is your first time in our funday, sunday challenge, I wanted to say WELCOME!!!! I dig your solo BTW! smile.gif The tone is perfect for a floyd solo. Very Strat, very David Gilmour. Nailed it. Also, the use of the descending bend is quite good here. NOT a technique that I see very often as it's tough to pull off (guitar pun!) during solos since you have to stick the landing in reverse. Instead of bending towards a note, you have to bend FROM the note back to the non bend note. Well played!

Needless to say you just

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image
and earned your first Challenge badge. Congrats!

QUOTE (Mirba @ Nov 7 2016, 12:43 PM) *
Hey Todd,

I was just looking trough this thread and saw the pink floyd backing. I really like Pink Floyd so I had jam along biggrin.gif Had a lot of fun on this one!

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 9 2016, 10:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ6Yzqa8i3g

*one of these days Im gonna play a new lick cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2016, 02:40 PM
KILLER per usual! You really have a great style on these blues"ish" type challenges and it's great to see. Like many folks who I have been following since I've been here @ GMC, you have really made HUGE gains in your ability and style as I've had the pleasure to watch. This solo works great over the backing, the tone is perfect, and the technique is solid as a rock.

You make use of some great blues chops mixed with rock chops to end up with a very tasty and dynamic solo. It's many elements I've seen you working on over time coming together to make something really impressive. Your soloing is very natural and organic. It doesn't sound like a collection of licks, it sounds like music and that's the goal of all of this smile.gif Congrats!!

You just ....

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 9 2016, 05:43 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ6Yzqa8i3g

*one of these days Im gonna play a new lick cool.gif

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 11 2016, 03:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
It sure is tricky on these challenges to not sound like you're just noodling on scales. They're just long enough that I start to run out of ideas. I try to jam on them for a while and find little creative bits that fit, then link them together. It's tough!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2016, 07:41 PM
Nicely done!!! I do try to keep these sorta brief so that you guys don't have to play forever smile.gif I know how hard it can be, especially at first, to come up with a solo that you like, especially if the solo section feels like it's dragging on forever!

The good news is you KILLED IT!! The tone is perfect, (share your settings with us/production tips?) and the strat is a great choice here. You can do this type of work on your ibby, if you take the 5 position switch and set it just before the last bridge pickup setting. As I'm guessing you know, this creates a nice single coil sound. But the strat actually has the real single coil sound and only strats really sounds like strats imho smile.gif So it's perfect for Pink Floyd solos as Mr Gilmour is a Strat NUT!

The bends you use all find their harmonic peak, the licks work together musically, not just as a set of things in the right key/scale, which is the key for PASS/FAIL on the Shred Challenge!!

Well Played! You just

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 11 2016, 10:33 AM) *
It sure is tricky on these challenges to not sound like you're just noodling on scales. They're just long enough that I start to run out of ideas. I try to jam on them for a while and find little creative bits that fit, then link them together. It's tough!

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:02 PM