Emergency Repairs !
Ben Higgins
Jan 6 2012, 12:06 PM
Instructor
Due to the extreme weather conditions in the UK (high winds), part of the stable roof came off where my girfriend keeps her horses. Guess who's going to go up there and repair it ?

Yes laugh.gif

The roofing is basically just a load of plastic sheets and some occasional timbers in between. Hopefully I won't fall through or fall off the roof. If you don't hear from me again today then please remember me in a good way !! wink.gif

Have you ever had to fix things due to bad weather ? I know Ivan is a DIY fan so I'm expecting some stories from him biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jan 6 2012, 12:37 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 6 2012, 11:06 AM) *
Have you ever had to fix things due to bad weather ? I know Ivan is a DIY fan so I'm expecting some stories from him biggrin.gif

Florida = Hurricanes

Oh yes. I build houses and we have a LOT of building codes here in Florida. However, hurricanes and tornadoes scoff at those codes and do what they like to do: destroy stuff!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Jan 6 2012, 01:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
A fence panel blew down in my garden, one of the wooden ones that slot into concrete posts.

Next door have dogs and so do we so I had to fix it there and then - lifting a fence panel above my head in the high wind to slot it back in (upside down this time) was very difficult, nearly took off a few times!

--------------------
be excellent to each other

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 6 2012, 02:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jan 6 2012, 11:37 AM) *
Florida = Hurricanes

Oh yes. I build houses and we have a LOT of building codes here in Florida. However, hurricanes and tornadoes scoff at those codes and do what they like to do: destroy stuff!

Yeah... that kind of urinates from a great height all over our 'bad weather' in the UK ! laugh.gif

QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Jan 6 2012, 12:54 PM) *
A fence panel blew down in my garden, one of the wooden ones that slot into concrete posts.

Next door have dogs and so do we so I had to fix it there and then - lifting a fence panel above my head in the high wind to slot it back in (upside down this time) was very difficult, nearly took off a few times!

I know the exact fence panels you mean.... I can imagine that sucked ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 6 2012, 04:50 PM
GMC:er
We get quite a lot of Tree Surgery work due to bad weather and rotten Trees! One year we had to remove a whole Willow tree that had collapsed into the River and was floating down towards the nearest Lock! We were in a Tug Boat from the local Marina and trying to cut the tree into manageable sized chunks whilst floating downstream! We ended up mooring several pieces of tree to the bank and then transported them one by one back to the Marina so they could use the Crane to lift them out! Each piece was in the region of 2-3 tons and took almost an hour to get from where they were to the Marina. (Only about 2 miles but up stream!!!)
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2012, 05:04 PM
Instructor
not me, but I had many energy problems because of storms and thunders....

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 6 2012, 06:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 6 2012, 03:50 PM) *
We get quite a lot of Tree Surgery work due to bad weather and rotten Trees! One year we had to remove a whole Willow tree that had collapsed into the River and was floating down towards the nearest Lock! We were in a Tug Boat from the local Marina and trying to cut the tree into manageable sized chunks whilst floating downstream! We ended up mooring several pieces of tree to the bank and then transported them one by one back to the Marina so they could use the Crane to lift them out! Each piece was in the region of 2-3 tons and took almost an hour to get from where they were to the Marina. (Only about 2 miles but up stream!!!)
biggrin.gif

Wow, they should have made a documentary about that, like Ice Road Truckers !

Tree 999 or something like that !

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 6 2012, 04:04 PM) *
not me, but I had many energy problems because of storms and thunders....

Energy problems.. did you feel tired ?

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2012, 06:46 PM
Instructor
I remember when I was a kid, and was fixing the roof with my uncle, I almost touched the cable that went to the house and almost - died unsure.gif ph34r.gif

Just be safe with the rope, and get a nail gun, I used it for similar materials, here's a great one biggrin.gif

Just be cautions, or else.. cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 6 2012, 07:11 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 6 2012, 05:18 PM) *
Wow, they should have made a documentary about that, like Ice Road Truckers !

Tree 999 or something like that !

A Day in the Life of the Special Branch!!!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 6 2012, 05:46 PM) *
Just be cautions, or else.. cool.gif

My friend who I work with did exactly that but through his thumb!! The nail went in behind his nail, curved around the bone and came out in the joint in his thumb. How it never broke or shattered any of the bones is still a mystery!!!!
ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 6 2012, 07:11 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 6 2012, 07:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 6 2012, 05:46 PM) *
I remember when I was a kid, and was fixing the roof with my uncle, I almost touched the cable that went to the house and almost - died unsure.gif ph34r.gif

Just be safe with the rope, and get a nail gun, I used it for similar materials, here's a great one biggrin.gif

OMG... thank God you're still with us !

Woah, is that an AK-47 Nail gun ?? biggrin.gif I bet Mudbone has got one of those..

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jan 6 2012, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 6 2012, 07:59 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jan 6 2012, 08:37 AM) *
Florida = Hurricanes

I never do +1 but this is definitely a +1 moment.

Also live in florida and work in construction, I do glass and just finished up a school in venice, we have to make everything hurricane tough. Some frames have 68 five inch long half-inch screws mounting them.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 6 2012, 09:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 6 2012, 06:59 PM) *
I never do +1 but this is definitely a +1 moment.

Also live in florida and work in construction, I do glass and just finished up a school in venice, we have to make everything hurricane tough. Some frames have 68 five inch long half-inch screws mounting them.

That's definitely a tough school !! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 6 2012, 11:55 PM
Instructor
First, consider well what do you doing Ben ! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 7 2012, 11:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jan 6 2012, 10:55 PM) *
First, consider well what do you doing Ben ! cool.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif Ouch !!

Thankfully I'm ok and didn't die ! And the roof is fixed ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:19 AM