An Introduction
Sam Young
Mar 8 2012, 03:44 PM
GMC:er
Hi folks, I thought I'd introduce myself.

As you can probably guess, my name's Sam. I'm a 23 year old living in South-east England, and I've never seriously picked up a guitar before in my life. I've always wanted to learn, but I thought I'd never have the time to go to an instructor to learn, nor would I have any luck with those dvd lessons where don't get any feedback on whether you're doing it right or wrong.

I discovered GMC when playing around on YouTube, watching other people play, when I came across Piotr's whammy bar phrasing video, and was impressed with the site and the "free" videos to non-members, and was sure I could learn to play myself with what GMC offers. So I bought a guitar package and signed up. smile.gif

My equipment is nothing special really. It's budget Strat, made by Benson with a Joyo pocket amp.

Feel free to ask me anything, see you all around the forums.

~Sam

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Fran
Mar 8 2012, 04:12 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome aboard! You couldn't choose a better place to learn, enjoy!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 8 2012, 04:37 PM
'ello, Sam smile.gif

Nice to have another countryman on the forums biggrin.gif

I recommend you get involved with the video chats (8pm tonight being the earliest) and more importantly, the mentoring courses some instructors have been kind enough to do. Do you have anything to record your playing with? It's the best way to get feedback on your playing and how to improve.

-Adam

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Sam Young
Mar 8 2012, 04:58 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Mar 8 2012, 03:37 PM) *
'ello, Sam smile.gif

Nice to have another countryman on the forums biggrin.gif

I recommend you get involved with the video chats (8pm tonight being the earliest) and more importantly, the mentoring courses some instructors have been kind enough to do. Do you have anything to record your playing with? It's the best way to get feedback on your playing and how to improve.

-Adam

Cosmin sent me a nice welcome PM informing me about the video chats and mentoring courses. As for recording, I have a webcam built in to my laptop, though it's not a good quality one and I doubt that'll be any good for this. I'll get a nice webcam or camcorder or something, though you'll have to bear with me, money's tight these next few months as the girlfriend and I are going to Crete for 2 weeks in the beginning of May, and we're still saving for that.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 8 2012, 05:03 PM
Instructor
Hey Sam, welcome to GMC !

The English count is rising... beware ! biggrin.gif

Good to have you here wink.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 8 2012, 05:32 PM
QUOTE (Sam Young @ Mar 8 2012, 03:58 PM) *
Cosmin sent me a nice welcome PM informing me about the video chats and mentoring courses. As for recording, I have a webcam built in to my laptop, though it's not a good quality one and I doubt that'll be any good for this. I'll get a nice webcam or camcorder or something, though you'll have to bear with me, money's tight these next few months as the girlfriend and I are going to Crete for 2 weeks in the beginning of May, and we're still saving for that.

Hah, nice.

Any footage is better than no footage, to be honest. I recorded some videos with my phone's camera (not quite HD either, mind you tongue.gif ), so don't worry about that. I'm having some recording problems anyway, so I've been using the video function on a decent camera - it works out fine.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 8 2012, 05:37 PM
Welcome to GMC! smile.gif I"m Todd and I teach our Saturday Video Chats. One of the things that makes GMC so cool is that we have video chat lessons pretty much every day. Hop in to the chats and some collabs! It will keep things fun and light and you will learn tons!

Todd

QUOTE (Sam Young @ Mar 8 2012, 09:44 AM) *

As you can probably guess, my name's Sam. I'm a 23 year old living in South-east England, and I've never seriously picked up a guitar before in my life. I've always wanted to learn, but I thought I'd never have the time to go to an instructor to learn, nor would I have any luck with those dvd lessons where don't get any feedback on whether you're doing it right or wrong.

I discovered GMC when playing around on YouTube, watching other people play, when I came across Piotr's whammy bar phrasing video, and was impressed with the site and the "free" videos to non-members, and was sure I could learn to play myself with what GMC offers. So I bought a guitar package and signed up. smile.gif

My equipment is nothing special really. It's budget Strat, made by Benson with a Joyo pocket amp.

~Sam

+Quote Post
Sam Young
Mar 8 2012, 08:59 PM
Well, after an afternoon of strumming, I can safely say my fingers hurt.

The one thing that's bugging me though, is that my fingers aren't stretching far enough. I can't get them to stretch over 4 frets properly on the thicker strings, an example would be on the index finger on the A and the little finger on the C on the low/thick(?) E string on the A Minor Pentatonic.

Are there any good exercises I can do to increase the distance my fingers the stretch?

And my picking. That's sloppy too. Half the time I'm trying to so hard to get my fingers on the notes that I'm hitting the wrong strings.

This post has been edited by Sam Young: Mar 8 2012, 09:02 PM

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Mar 8 2012, 09:40 PM
Instructor
Helo Sam! Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 9 2012, 10:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sam Young @ Mar 8 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Well, after an afternoon of strumming, I can safely say my fingers hurt.

The one thing that's bugging me though, is that my fingers aren't stretching far enough. I can't get them to stretch over 4 frets properly on the thicker strings, an example would be on the index finger on the A and the little finger on the C on the low/thick(?) E string on the A Minor Pentatonic.

Are there any good exercises I can do to increase the distance my fingers the stretch?

And my picking. That's sloppy too. Half the time I'm trying to so hard to get my fingers on the notes that I'm hitting the wrong strings.

Hey Sam, don't beat yourself up for this. If you're relatively new to the guitar then you're going to have to accept this about your fingers etc. This is a totally new demand that you're placing on them and everybody's hands have had to go through this. The only way for them to develop is literally by just keeping playing.

It's going to sound pretty obvious but just keep going as you are. The tendons and muscles will naturally build up the strength they need to play the things you're asking it to.

As for the picking, same again.. this is a natural thing to encounter. Rome wasn't built in a day smile.gif When you're fingers become more adept at fretting the right notes you'll relax your attention and be able to conentrate on your picking hand more.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 9 2012, 10:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sam Young @ Mar 8 2012, 02:44 PM) *

~Sam

Hi Sam! My name is Alex! Nice to meet you and welcome to GMC!
Man I love those Joyo pedals they are really good! Also strat is a great guitar choice!
GMC is a great website to learn guitar at your own time, you don't have to go to the instructor and don't even have to leave home!
There are so many interesting lessons in every possible style and if you have any questions you can ask instructors or students! We have a very good community here!
Good luck!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 12 2012, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Hey Sam! Glad you decided to introduce yourself man! smile.gif See you around the forum and let me know if ya need any help, k?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2012, 05:27 PM
Instructor
Hi Sam! Welcome to the site! Be sure to check the Gab's Army! smile.gif
Do you have the possibility of record and film yourself playing?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:13 PM