Floyd Rose Newbie - New Guitar
fatb0t
Jan 17 2008, 09:24 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, since I've geen at GMC I've learned how to perform naturnal and artificial harmonics as well as learn how to utilize the whammy bar. Dive bombs, screamers, so on and so forth...one problem is my G&L doesn't have a locking nut and goes a bit out of tune after a song.

I'm looking at Ibanez since they're pretty highly regarded here.

Anyone have experience with these two guitars?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=512358

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=519933

I just need something that reallllllly screams for solos, has good chunk, can clean up when I roll the volume back a bit, and stays in tune turning heavy whammy use...

Any guitar suggestions? It doesn't have to be Ibanez but needs to be sub $1000USD

Thanks guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 17 2008, 09:52 AM
Take a look at the Ibanez prestiges. 2550e, 1570, ect... Great guitars for just under the 1000USD. You can abuse the whammy and still be in perfect tune.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 17 2008, 11:59 AM
Dunno how good those pickups in the RGT are, but I have an old S470DXQM before they added that "burst" type finish to it and I believe they still come with the INF pickups. The INF pickups are pretty lousy, you'd definitely have to change them to get the sound you described, they're pretty thin sounding off the bat IMO.

BUT that said, the ZR trem is probably better than the Edge III trem, unless you shelled out another 200 and got an RG packing an incarnation of the edge Pro, I'd snag the S470 and swap out the pickups.

ALSO, the S470 is thinner than an SG and VERY light, where the RG will be more on the order of your G&L and the thru body construction will make for better sustain. Both guitars are mahogany with a Maple top, but the RG will be about twice as fat as the S, which will affect sound. Both are great guitars, but I'd save up and get a japanese RG or some hotter pickups for the S.

This post has been edited by Goliath: Jan 17 2008, 12:05 PM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 17 2008, 10:59 PM
I've heard the ZR tremolo is better than the Edge III so I'd go with the second one and swap the pickups.

Or save up for a prestige, they rock! smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
xucphra
Jan 17 2008, 11:41 PM
I'd recommend a Schaller Floyd Rose. They are the most reliable; and they stay in tune much more. They stay in tune longer than Kahlers because Kahlers use rolling cylinders that can make the strings go out of tune if you are doing bending or tremolos; because Kahlers are only meant to be moved forward and backward; and doesn't leave space for the strings to move sideways.
Yeah. Schaller is the best in my opinion.

I found a peice of youtube that might help you: [it's in 3 parts and this is the first; you should be able to find the other two.]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1eiMZ5nUk&feature=related

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 17 2008, 11:43 PM
QUOTE (preownedguitar @ Jan 17 2008, 02:52 AM) *
Take a look at the Ibanez prestiges. 2550e, 1570, ect... Great guitars for just under the 1000USD. You can abuse the whammy and still be in perfect tune.

+1

I own the 2550e and love it.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 18 2008, 07:57 AM
Those videos helped big time. It looks like Floyd Rose is the way to go...

+Quote Post
xucphra
Jan 18 2008, 09:21 PM
Glad it helped. Thats the way I learned bout what to do and thats the way I went.

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:01 PM