5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Time For My New Summer Hobby, Building a bobber chopper!
Sircraigery
May 18 2009, 08:33 AM
GMC:er
Hey folks, haven't been around in a few weeks! But for good reason, I'm hacking an old 1977 Kawasaki kz650 into a sweeeeeeet BOBBER!!!! I got it for $350 from some farmer's field, and the frame and engine (which is all I care about), seem to be in great shape.

Summer isn't for guitar imo (unless your playing gigs outside.. which I am not).

If you don't know what a bobber chopper is, it's an oldschool street bike chopped into a rat bike. Better yet, I'll just post some youtube vids of people's builds. Most popular are the honda cb, and the yamaha xs series....(ies?).

The Honda CB750:
Attached Image

INTO:

The Yamaha XS650:
Attached Image

INTO:

It's unbelievable that these old bikes look so awesome with as little as $1000 invested if you have the right tools and know how to do some welding and a bit of painting. Wish me luck, I'll keep this build a well documented one since I haven't seen many Kawasaki builds on youtube. Some white wall tires, harley sportster gas tank, and some ape hangers are going to be my only expenses.... I already have the german helmet biggrin.gif

EDIT: PICS FIXED, WITH BETTER PICS THIS TIME TOO.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Jun 30 2009, 06:28 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 18 2009, 09:09 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Retro bikes are so cool! Hurts me to see one go down like that but hope it turns out the way you like it. Have fun! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sted
May 18 2009, 11:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
Love the ape hangers on the first one, need to watch your back side on that rear wheel though laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 18 2009, 12:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
That's awesome!! Flat black all the way bro!!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 18 2009, 06:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow you have a cool hobby mate!! I wish you good luck with the rebuild! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
May 19 2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I love retro bikes too, and this one will get well taken care of (apart from the frame lol). I almost want to save this bike, because cosmetically it's in great shape. Not one a rip in the seat, no dents in the gas tank, not even any scuff marks on the paint!

But, at least I know this bike will drive down the road straight haha. I'm just cleaning the carbs now to get it running again. It's been sitting for about 5 years the guy told me. Once I know the engine/electrical is good, it's time to get the cutting wheel out...

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 19 2009, 11:59 PM
Instructor
wow man this rocks smile.gif I have many friends who build custom bikes. It's an awesome hobby

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 20 2009, 09:30 AM
QUOTE (sted @ May 18 2009, 01:12 PM) *
Love the ape hangers on the first one, need to watch your back side on that rear wheel though laugh.gif

+1! It may hurt biggrin.gif

Very cool hobby you got there, can`t wait to see what you come up with!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 20 2009, 10:52 AM
Instructor
Wow man, this bike looks cool, it's really hard to believe it's that same bike from the small picture! smile.gif Very cool hobby man smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 20 2009, 01:31 PM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ May 18 2009, 08:33 AM) *
Hey folks, haven't been around in a few weeks! But for good reason, I'm hacking an old 1977 Kawasaki kz650 into a sweeeeeeet BOBBER!!!! I got it for $350 from some farmer's field, and the frame and engine (which is all I care about), seem to be in great shape.

It's unbelievable that these old bikes look so awesome with as little as $1000 invested if you have the right tools and know how to do some welding and a bit of painting. Wish me luck, I'll keep this build a well documented one since I haven't seen any good Kawasaki builds on youtube. Some white wall tires, harley sportster gas tank, and some apr hangers are going to be my only expenses.... I already have the german helmet biggrin.gif

I've built quite a few Kwak 650's!! It's one of my favourite Engines/Bike to use!!!

This is my current ride (A '76 Suzuki GS850):-

And this was my very first CB 750!!!

This was my Triton!

At the moment I am working on a '71 XS 650 and also 'Street-fighter-ing' an RF600!

As Ben said 'Flat Black' all the way!!!!! If I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 20 2009, 01:39 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 20 2009, 03:31 PM) *
I've built quite a few Kwak 650's!! It's one of my favourite Engines/Bike to use!!!

As Ben said 'Flat Black' all the way!!!!! If I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Dude! A you a bike fanatic? biggrin.gif That collection looks just fantastic!! I like especcialy first bike, your current one and CB750 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 20 2009, 03:24 PM
Instructor
Jones, what can I say man, wow is all that pops out! biggrin.gif You sure know your stuff man, these rides are brilliant! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 20 2009, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ May 20 2009, 01:39 PM) *
Dude! A you a bike fanatic? biggrin.gif That collection looks just fantastic!! I like especcialy first bike, your current one and CB750 biggrin.gif

I've been into Bikes since I was 6 years old!! I started riding at 9 years old!!! I started helping other people build when I was 13 and built my first bike when I was 16/17!!! About the same time as I built my first Guitar too!!!! I don't own all these any more, although the first 3 (all the Kawasaki's) are all still around. biggrin.gif
I'm not sure where the CB is now. I last heard of it about 5 years ago. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 20 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Jones, what can I say man, wow is all that pops out! biggrin.gif You sure know your stuff man, these rides are brilliant! smile.gif

Thanks Ivan!! There's been many more than these!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

@Sircraigery ~ I think you've put an XS 650 pic where your CB750 one should be!! tongue.gif wink.gif
"If you don't know what a bobber chopper is, it's an old school street bike chopped into a rat bike."

Not quite true!! A Bobber is a stripped down Bike, usually with standard length Forks, Hardtail Frame and in a50's retro styling.
You cannot just 'build' a Rat Bike, they evolve!! Just because it's Flat Black doesn't make it a Rat!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: May 20 2009, 05:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 20 2009, 05:09 PM
Instructor
Bikes are awesome ! ! !
How much do these from pictures above go for ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 20 2009, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 20 2009, 05:09 PM) *
Bikes are awesome ! ! !
How much do these from pictures above go for ?

Any of the ones in my post would sell for £1000 up!!!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 20 2009, 05:50 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 20 2009, 08:31 AM) *
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Flat black...red rims...white wall tires!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 20 2009, 06:05 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 20 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Flat black...red rims...white wall tires!

I'm not even sure about the Rims and 'Walls!!!! (They're a more recent de riguer for the Genre!!!)

Although.............

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 20 2009, 06:30 PM
ohmy.gif Really stunning looks, especcialy first! btw you must be as cool as Muris if you took guitar at 17!!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 20 2009, 06:37 PM
Another example...I love this color combo. On bikes and on rat rods!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: May 20 2009, 06:37 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 20 2009, 06:45 PM
Cool thing too laugh.gif Tho I didn`t understand much difference between those highway bike types smile.gif Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:20 PM