Itunes 8, I'm liking the Genius feature
rokchik
Sep 16 2008, 05:20 PM
The Dark Canuck
Not sure how many of you out there use iTunes but I use it pretty often. I updated to iTunes 8 two days ago and lets just say my visa is being racked up with album and song purchases smile.gif

iTunes 8 offers this "genius" feature. You pick a song from your library, hit the genius button, and it will create a playlist of songs that go great with the song you picked that is already in your library. I'm finding stuff I didn't even know I had. There is also a sidebar that recommends songs from the iTunes store that will also go with the song you picked but that you might not know about. I've found a few "new to me bands" such as Buckcherry (I had only heard that Crazy B. song and didn't like it but they have some really good stuff) and also Dreadnaught just to name a couple.

There are some flaws as it won't work with any of my Beatles songs or the new Metallica album but it is a new things so I expect some bugs. Anyways I really like it and I find it's really great for finding some new music to listen too.

rok

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 16 2008, 05:27 PM
Instructor
I got it yesterday as well.
It looks and works just like previous version,
except this genius feature and stuff like that. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 16 2008, 05:31 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 16 2008, 01:27 PM) *
I got it yesterday as well.
It looks and works just like previous version,
except this genius feature and stuff like that. smile.gif

Yes, I should have mentioned that. It does work the same, just the genius feature is new. I bought your album off iTunes btw Muris smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2008, 05:45 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (rokchik @ Sep 16 2008, 04:20 PM) *
...You pick a song from your library, hit the genius button, and it will create a playlist of songs that go great with the song you picked that is already in your library. I'm finding stuff I didn't even know I had. ...

rok

My wife does this as well Rok except her software must need updating as at present she thinks everything goes really with the recent Plant and Krauss album rolleyes.gif .

The itunes store link looks really interesting but also really scary. Come here little credit card this will only hurt a bit (until the bill arrives tongue.gif ).

BTW the non-itunes site I use also do a similar recommendation thingy plus a 'your neighbour listens to'. The latter is a link to other peoples' playlists who have downloaded similar stuff to you. Occasionally its helpful, sometimes banal but nearly always interesting.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 17 2008, 01:56 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 16 2008, 01:45 PM) *
My wife does this as well Rok except her software must need updating as at present she thinks everything goes really with the recent Plant and Krauss album rolleyes.gif .

The itunes store link looks really interesting but also really scary. Come here little credit card this will only hurt a bit (until the bill arrives tongue.gif ).

BTW the non-itunes site I use also do a similar recommendation thingy plus a 'your neighbour listens to'. The latter is a link to other peoples' playlists who have downloaded similar stuff to you. Occasionally its helpful, sometimes banal but nearly always interesting.

Cheers,
Tony

Yes the iTunes store feature is kind of scary. Like I said my visa is taking a beating the last couple of days. It's amazing how fast $0.99 a song adds up.

As for the Plant/ Krauss album I have no suggestions except maybe to get some really good ear plugs. LOL!!!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 17 2008, 02:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rokchik @ Sep 16 2008, 06:31 PM) *
Yes, I should have mentioned that. It does work the same, just the genius feature is new. I bought your album off iTunes btw Muris smile.gif

Ah,that was very kind,appreciate it,hope you'll like it! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 17 2008, 02:57 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 17 2008, 03:54 PM) *
Ah,that was very kind,appreciate it,hope you'll like it! smile.gif

Rokchik might have bought it out of strictly egotistical reasons - I know I did! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice Rok - I need to check out this feature. Apple is a company for the future!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 17 2008, 03:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 17 2008, 03:57 PM) *
Thanks for the advice Rok - I need to check out this feature. Apple is a company for the future!

It surely is!!

I'm thinking of getting iPhone or maybe iPod Touch,
what I need is Wi-Hi in small devise. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 17 2008, 03:25 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Didn't know about that new genious feature, it's been a while since I last updated itunes, I'm always afraid it might change the settings on my ipods and erase them or something. (As a matter of fact it erased my shuffle yesterday for no reason sad.gif). Might give it a try though smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 17 2008, 03:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ Sep 17 2008, 04:25 PM) *
Didn't know about that new genious feature, it's been a while since I last updated itunes, I'm always afraid it might change the settings on my ipods and erase them or something. (As a matter of fact it erased my shuffle yesterday for no reason sad.gif). Might give it a try though smile.gif

No worries,you library stays the same,it just adds this Genius feature to iTunes.
It does update only,not reinstall which would lead to new library,settings etc. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Sep 17 2008, 03:50 PM
GMC:er
Getting the update right now try it out smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 17 2008, 05:13 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 17 2008, 10:57 AM) *
Rokchik might have bought it out of strictly egotistical reasons - I know I did! biggrin.gif

I did kind of buy it for ego reasons, ya know "listen to this!!! I'm learning guitar from this guy!" But at the same time it's an amazing album. I don't like it Muris I LOVE it!!!!!! Put a Smile on Your Face and The Water are probably my faves.

I have the iPod touch ordered Muris so I'll let ya know what I think if you like. The iPhone is not available where I live as no carrier sad.gif

And Fran I had one of the older versions of iTunes (not sure which but it was a couple of upgrades ago) wipe out my Nano for no reason but since I've upgraded I've had no issues at all. And Muris is right it only updates not reinstall so your library should be fine.

With the exception of their tech department, who I've minced words with once over an adapter problem, I've loved everything I've bought from apple and the services I've received. They certainly are a company for the future.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 17 2008, 07:03 PM
GMC:er
Winamp FTW

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:39 PM