> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 95 96 97 98 99 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
May 2 2019, 09:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It went better tonight. I have noticed that the minor pentatonic that I know so well is much better for creating licks with bends etc. Could it be that I'm just more familiar with it or that the shape is just better suited to bends etc due to finger placement.

Cheers
Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 3 2019, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 2 2019, 05:46 PM) *
It went better tonight. I have noticed that the minor pentatonic that I know so well is much better for creating licks with bends etc. Could it be that I'm just more familiar with it or that the shape is just better suited to bends etc due to finger placement.

Cheers
Phil

It's because you are a lot more familiar. A good exercise for the Major Pentatonic is to bend over each note and see where are the best places to bend. This will be related to the chord tones. Bending to a chord tone is that makes a bend sound amazing. Now you can start to suspect why I was to insistent with visualizing arpeggios... yes... arpeggio notes are chord notes... bingo! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 3 2019, 09:05 PM
Hello Gab,

I thought I should post a video, the big challenges for me at the moment are following the backing, I struggle, (at the moment) to listen to the backing, listen to my guitar and come up with musical ideas all at once, time will develop that wink.gif Bending to pitch is still an issue, I do now notice that it isn't correct but it's usually too late and I need to move on rolleyes.gif

Is it okay to shuffle my hand around and use different fingers for notes within the scale rather than lock into a position? For example, with the A major, is it ok to not use my pinky to bend or vibrato? I have done it in this video, I know other players do it but do you mind if I do at the moment?

https://youtu.be/UJ6yRCx8xvg

We are going to the northern part of CORNWALL tomorrow until Monday, we will be based in THIS small town just over the border from DEVON

I'm considering one of THESE I won't take it abroad if I'm in a hotel but maybe if I'm in a private apartment with no cleaning maids I will, and in the UK I can stash it in my car when we are out. What do you think?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2019, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Good job here!

You need to experiment with different rhythm when phrasing. There is no need to create long phrases, you can use a few notes for each phrases but try different rhythms.

It's ok to use different fingers, there is no right or wrong about this, but the best is to be able to play the same thing in different ways. This is a jam by Paul Gilbert that can give you a lot of ideas on how to develop rhythm in your blues phrasing:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2019, 07:54 PM
Instructor
PS: About THIS. Yes!! Excellent idea!

Check these ones as well: https://travelerguitar.com/

https://travelerguitar.com/pages/all-models

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 8 2019, 09:10 PM
Thanks Gab,

For me the folding one is ideal given its size, I know strings will suffer but it has to be better than a ShredNeck don't you think? I'll only be using it like I would a shred neck for fingering, chord practise etc but it will be good to have it somewhere close to being in tune. I think the electric version will be better for me as it will be quieter due to not having a body cavity wink.gif The Traveller guitar is a little too big for my suitcase I think and I don't want extra hand luggage to what we already take.

From Saturday, (airport hotel on Friday night, I am going to be HERE for one week, I will use that time to assess how much real practise time I would get. Then I'll look at getting one.

I am still trying to get comfortable with the major pentatonic shape, it is coming together slowly but surely and I am getting more comfortable with the chord changes and when they appear in the twelve bar without me having to watch the screen to see when they are coming up. Basically, I'm getting more of a feel for it wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

P.S Isn't this beautiful and extremely well performed?
https://youtu.be/LK3NuxO3Ke0

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 8 2019, 09:13 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 9 2019, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Everything sounds great here! I love that song by AB. Myles is amazing. I've watched this version many times, but I'm loving to do it again.

That place where you are going is very nice! It's awesome to see how many great places you have in Europe. smile.gif

Thanks for the update about your practice! Go for the option that you think that you'll find more useful when travelling.

Cheers!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 9 2019, 09:11 PM
Thanks Gab,

Before I go on holiday, here is a little jam, at the moment I'm trying to conquer following the chords and getting to know the major pentatonic more than coming up with licks. I recorded this totally in my DAW with no cues for chord changes other than the backing itself.

I haven't had chance to listen to it myself yet so I can't say how well or badly I did and when I do I may not hear the errors.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/a-maj-min-scales-over-a7-09052019

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2019, 09:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 9 2019, 05:11 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

Before I go on holiday, here is a little jam, at the moment I'm trying to conquer following the chords and getting to know the major pentatonic more than coming up with licks. I recorded this totally in my DAW with no cues for chord changes other than the backing itself.

I haven't had chance to listen to it myself yet so I can't say how well or badly I did and when I do I may not hear the errors.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/a-maj-min-scales-over-a7-09052019

Cheers

Phil

This is VERY musical Phil!! Nice job here. smile.gif smile.gif

Enjoy your holiday! Let's talk when you are back!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 11 2019, 05:01 AM
Thanks Gab,

When you get time could you explain which bits you think are the best and why please?

Thank you

Phil

https://youtu.be/1mD3vAjPHes

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 11 2019, 02:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2019, 06:00 PM
Instructor
Most of the parts of your jam are cool to me. What I like is that your phrasing is much clearer here. You introduce a phrase, and you develop it using the call & response concept. You are talking with your guitar, this has a discursive feel.

My favourite sections are from the beginning to 00:20, the following phrase from 00:20 to 00:30, and a bit less the last phrases starting at 00:40. The reason why I like "a bit less" the last ones is that I feel that some of the long notes doesn't fit very well over the chord sounding at each moment. This doesn't happen during the first 20 seconds of your jam where the notes, and rhythm is very tasty to me.

How would I improve this? Adding more expression and feeling to your playing. I know that this is now what you are focusing or working now, but that's the only thing that the first 20 seconds need to be flawless to me.

Your home for the next week looks amazing. Congrats mate!! Enjoy your stay!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 11 2019, 10:55 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 11 2019, 05:00 PM) *
Most of the parts of your jam are cool to me. What I like is that your phrasing is much clearer here. You introduce a phrase, and you develop it using the call & response concept. You are talking with your guitar, this has a discursive feel.

My favourite sections are from the beginning to 00:20, the following phrase from 00:20 to 00:30, and a bit less the last phrases starting at 00:40. The reason why I like "a bit less" the last ones is that I feel that some of the long notes doesn't fit very well over the chord sounding at each moment. This doesn't happen during the first 20 seconds of your jam where the notes, and rhythm is very tasty to me.

How would I improve this? Adding more expression and feeling to your playing. I know that this is now what you are focusing or working now, but that's the only thing that the first 20 seconds need to be flawless to me.

Your home for the next week looks amazing. Congrats mate!! Enjoy your stay!

Thanks Gab,

I didn't realise I was using call and response when I was playing, I just zoned out and played as much as I could from the heart, there were times I had to think about the chord changes and which pattern I should be using but that is getting more natural, as it becomes more natural i'm hoping my soul will come through in my expression.

You said that I am talking with my guitar and that it has "a discursive feel", did you mean discursive? To me that is a negative meaning, rambling, not relevant etc. Did you mean something else?

English lesson:
You said "I know that this is now what you are focusing or working now" should be, "I know that this is what you are focusing or working ON now". We focus On something or work ON something. We would never say, "I know that this is what you are focusing /working now" it would always be "I know that this is what you are focusing /working ON now".

Regarding my home for one week.
If I could afford it I would buy it, I love it here but it would cost well in excess of 25170000.00Argentine peso (500,000 euro)
The first small bedroom I get to was probably a dining room, I would remove the bed, it would make a perfect studio.

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2019, 03:34 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the Enlgish class! This is what I'm working on now. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 11 2019, 06:55 PM) *
You said that I am talking with my guitar and that it has "a discursive feel", did you mean discursive? To me that is a negative meaning, rambling, not relevant etc. Did you mean something else?

I wanted to say that you are telling a story with your solo. In Spanish we say "discursivo" when it has a structure that tells something.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 14 2019, 07:53 AM
Thanks Gab,

I Google translated "discursive" and it comes up with "discursive". It might be one of those words that doesn't actually have a translation, the closest I can think of, with a similar sound (many European words sound quite similar to the translation) and with a meaning of "communication" is, "discussive", relating to discussion or debate.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 14 2019, 08:01 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2019, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 14 2019, 03:53 AM) *
Thanks Gab,

I Google translated "discursive" and it comes up with "discursive". It might be one of those words that doesn't actually have a translation, the closest I can think of, with a similar sound (many European words sound quite similar to the translation) and with a meaning of "communication" is, "discussive", relating to discussion or debate.

Cheers

Phil

Yeah, I see. No problem, I hope that you understood what I wanted to say.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: May 14 2019, 02:40 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 14 2019, 02:55 PM
100% buddy smile.gif glad I asked and clarified though, it helps both of us wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 14 2019, 02:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2019, 04:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 14 2019, 10:55 AM) *
100% buddy smile.gif glad I asked and clarified though, it helps both of us wink.gif

Yes! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 20 2019, 08:57 PM
Hello Gab,

Okay, just getting my fingers and brain back into gear. Here are a couple of improvs using the A maj and A min pentatonics over that slow A7 progression. They're all pretty similar but I did try different things. In the last one I tried a little hammer on trill but it didn't work out laugh.gif

If you get chance to have a look at THIS that would be great wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/a-maj-min-scales-over-a7-1-20052019

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/a-maj-min-scales-over-a7-2-20052019

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/a-maj-min-scales-over-a7-3-20052019

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/a-maj-min-scales-over-a7-4-20052019

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 21 2019, 07:50 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 21 2019, 03:20 PM
Instructor
That's great Phil!! I can see how you are now using both pentatonics to solo over blues very wisely. Everything sounds good here, very bluesy. But this is just the beginning!

As you can imagine, the possibilities are endless, and the only limit is your mind. There are many other scales, modes and concepts that we can work to keep on adding colours to your blues playing.

However, I think that you have a lot of material right now and that it would be good to combine everything, and work on it all along the fretboard. From what I can hear, you are now focusing on the middle section. In order to get the most of this parts of the neck, I would add:

- Blue note (Pentatonic minor).
- Chromatic notes.
- Dominant Arpeggios.
- More rhythm variations / more articulation options

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 21 2019, 08:53 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 21 2019, 02:20 PM) *
However, I think that you have a lot of material right now and that it would be good to combine everything, and work on it all along the fretboard. From what I can hear, you are now focusing on the middle section. In order to get the most of this parts of the neck, I would add:

- Blue note (Pentatonic minor).
- Chromatic notes.
- Dominant Arpeggios.
- More rhythm variations / more articulation options

Thanks Gab,

I am focusing on the middle section of the neck because you gave me two scales to work with and our agreement when I started this blues course was that I do NOT venture outside of what you give me to work with, I don't go googling for answers, I don't ask theory questions (all will be revealed), and, I let you guide me, remember? Oooops, that last word was a question laugh.gif laugh.gif although I am allowed to ask questions if I don't fully understand what you tell me to do wink.gif

Obviously, there is a bit of light-hearted humour above wink.gif

You've told me to "work on it all along the neck". Do you want me to explore the possibilities using the GMC scale generator? Or wait until I am much more comfortable and have added the extra flavours that you mention in your list?

My biggest struggle is ideas. No matter how much blues I listen to it all falls apart once my fingers get onto the fretboard. I think it's just that so much is going on in my head thinking about when to change scales and remembering the shape (maj pent) that I just need them to become second nature, then the ideas will be able to flow into my fingers from my soul wink.gif

Should the dominant arpeggios be played over the min or major shape or both? Is it okay to add the arpeggio notes into the scale or should the arpeggio notes be played together?

By now, I think maybe I should concentrate on adding the blue note, adding chromatics and developing phrasing/articulation, once that is better and comfortable, then look at adding arpeggios. The note map in my head is a mess trying to think of them all at once, I think I can cope with what I've mentioned above. What do you think?

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 22 2019, 08:57 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 95 96 97 98 99 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:17 PM