Winter Arpeggio Backing Track
Jim S.
Sep 17 2013, 07:46 AM
Learning Rock Star

After a bit of question asking on this site I began to practice standing up or using a strap when sitting down. That seems to feel pretty nice but I have to hike that baby up high.

My amp took a dump and so this guitar is through Overloud Th2 software and logic. I am still getting used to this as if both programs Logic and Th2 are open I have had a few crashes... But when it works I can have the Th2 power my real amplifier and I will be able to record a nice clean guitar track while hearing my amp. It does sound really nice with one of Todd Simpsons Orange patch.

This was my first drum track from ezdrummer which I made, it is simple but I think it has a place here or better than a click....

I am still working on the tempo of the lead guitar on this track and hope to finish it soon.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions toward my playing, this site has been pretty cool.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 17 2013, 08:33 AM
Instructor
Standing practice is a good way to avoid disappointment of not being able to play something, You could while sitting on the chair. It a bit different story. Satriani once said he will never again compose in the sitting position because he made a song that he was later not able to play live biggrin.gif

As for Your right hand...Jim..have You ever consider holding the pick on the side of Your index finger, instead of the flat side? The way You hold the pick makes the finger flexible and needs more unnecessary strength to keep the pick steady. I'm asking because I did the same in the past and switched to the index side position. It's always weird at the beginning but later I could do more things better than before.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 10:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 17 2013, 06:46 AM) *

After a bit of question asking on this site I began to practice standing up or using a strap when sitting down. That seems to feel pretty nice but I have to hike that baby up high.

My amp took a dump and so this guitar is through Overloud Th2 software and logic. I am still getting used to this as if both programs Logic and Th2 are open I have had a few crashes... But when it works I can have the Th2 power my real amplifier and I will be able to record a nice clean guitar track while hearing my amp. It does sound really nice with one of Todd Simpsons Orange patch.

This was my first drum track from ezdrummer which I made, it is simple but I think it has a place here or better than a click....

I am still working on the tempo of the lead guitar on this track and hope to finish it soon.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions toward my playing, this site has been pretty cool.

Hello Jim! Great to hear a drum on this one biggrin.gif As Darius said, use the side of your finger - a movie coming up with that wink.gif for you - and watch out for the timing, ok? It sounds like you are a bit behind the beat at some points!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 17 2013, 03:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 17 2013, 03:33 AM) *
Standing practice is a good way to avoid disappointment of not being able to play something, You could while sitting on the chair. It a bit different story. Satriani once said he will never again compose in the sitting position because he made a song that he was later not able to play live biggrin.gif

As for Your right hand...Jim..have You ever consider holding the pick on the side of Your index finger, instead of the flat side? The way You hold the pick makes the finger flexible and needs more unnecessary strength to keep the pick steady. I'm asking because I did the same in the past and switched to the index side position. It's always weird at the beginning but later I could do more things better than before.

[attachment=33573:image.jpg] this is how I normally grip.
Darius I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

[attachment=33574:image.jpg] is this more like what you mean?
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 17 2013, 05:16 AM) *
Hello Jim! Great to hear a drum on this one biggrin.gif As Darius said, use the side of your finger - a movie coming up with that wink.gif for you - and watch out for the timing, ok? It sounds like you are a bit behind the beat at some points!

Cosmin I will make a new one after practicing a bit. I really wanted to see if I could record anything without a computer crash. I really like this one!

Thanks about the drums, any recommendations?

This post has been edited by Jim Seekford: Sep 17 2013, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 05:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 17 2013, 02:53 PM) *

Cosmin I will make a new one after practicing a bit. I really wanted to see if I could record anything without a computer crash. I really like this one!

Hey Jim just got my new phone tripod FINALLY - thought that those guys stole my money! I'll make the vid for ya and talk about the drums as well wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 10:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 17 2013, 02:53 PM) *

Here we go mate:

Pick holding:

and drumming biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 17 2013, 10:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 17 2013, 05:28 PM) *
Here we go mate:

Pick holding:

and drumming biggrin.gif

Cosmin thanks for the personalized videos. I got the pick grip and ill practice this. As for the drum track ill use the markers and try to some dynamics to it. I'm excited to work on this!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 18 2013, 07:50 AM
Instructor
Alright bro! Let me know how things are going wink.gif Always happy to help people who work hard!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 20 2013, 10:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
So I've been practicing with the pick on the side of my finger and at first it was very challenging. My index finger has been twisted to adjust holding the pick on the flat. Index needs to sort of twist back to hold the pick. Ican see the benefits. The part that seems to be the hardest to deal with is sweep picking or strumming chords. I'll post a video of my progress soon.

Oh and Darius has a cool video about his picking approach with did not help me much holding the pick with the flat of my finger. A combination of the two methods will probably be my best bet.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 20 2013, 03:45 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Congrats on your first drum track. I think that it sounds good and that you have opened a new gate in your musical journey. The rhythm guitar has some timing issues in the clip, I think that you could practice it adding a metronome over the drum loop to get use to play it tight.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 20 2013, 05:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 20 2013, 10:45 AM) *
Hi mate! Congrats on your first drum track. I think that it sounds good and that you have opened a new gate in your musical journey. The rhythm guitar has some timing issues in the clip, I think that you could practice it adding a metronome over the drum loop to get use to play it tight.

Hey Gabriel thanks for checking out my link. I definately plan to redo the rhythm guitars again and add some drum fills. This is exciting!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2013, 06:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 20 2013, 09:56 AM) *
So I've been practicing with the pick on the side of my finger and at first it was very challenging. My index finger has been twisted to adjust holding the pick on the flat. Index needs to sort of twist back to hold the pick. Ican see the benefits. The part that seems to be the hardest to deal with is sweep picking or strumming chords. I'll post a video of my progress soon.

Oh and Darius has a cool video about his picking approach with did not help me much holding the pick with the flat of my finger. A combination of the two methods will probably be my best bet.

Mate, it's just a matter of getting used to a new technique smile.gif Give it time, as it can't trigger a significant change at a great level out of the blue. You will see that playing with the side of the index will help a lot and you will be able to use the technique is you practice slowly and focused wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 21 2013, 09:03 PM
Learning Rock Star

This is a video of my picking practice.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 21 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Mate, it's just a matter of getting used to a new technique smile.gif Give it time, as it can't trigger a significant change at a great level out of the blue. You will see that playing with the side of the index will help a lot and you will be able to use the technique is you practice slowly and focused wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 22 2013, 07:56 AM
Instructor
Mornin mate! I think you are making considerable progress and you will make even more progress if you will focus on moving your right hand less and less smile.gif Right now, it moves too much - in order to make this habit disappear, focus on practicing slower and moving your right hand as little as possible and for the next vids, can you shoot so that I will see your right hand closer?

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 22 2013, 02:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2013, 02:56 AM) *
Mornin mate! I think you are making considerable progress and you will make even more progress if you will focus on moving your right hand less and less smile.gif Right now, it moves too much - in order to make this habit disappear, focus on practicing slower and moving your right hand as little as possible and for the next vids, can you shoot so that I will see your right hand closer?

Ok so here is a quick recording of a few different methods which I choose to pick. I really like using my thumb and finger and my hand does not move but Im not sure if Im executing it properly

This post has been edited by Jim Seekford: Sep 23 2013, 12:39 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 23 2013, 09:10 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - the grip looks fine to me smile.gif I bet you feel a little strange when you feel that the pick is slowly sliding away from the tip of your thumb, right? biggrin.gif It may happen, but in time you will learn to control it. It is not compulsory to have it near the tip of the thumb all the time, but for me at least, that's what feels like being the most confident. Have you experienced this? smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:13 PM