Quick Licks!, Bring Your A Game!!! :)
Todd Simpson
Oct 21 2017, 06:11 PM
GMC:er
QUICK LICKS #1

This is my new "Thing" here in the forum and it's called QUICK LICKS!!! It's going to replace the SHRED CHALLENGE. I challenge everyone to dig deep and make a vid of themselves playing this lick and get ready to add serious chops to your bag of tricks!!! This is the first one, so please do jump in and give it a shot!!!

Attached Image

Attached File  QUICK_LICKS__1.gp5.zip ( 1006bytes ) Number of downloads: 272

You will get a brand new BADGE created for this new "Thang". Can't wait to see you guys rip it!!!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 14 2018, 07:27 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
fzalfa
Oct 21 2017, 07:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Ho God !!

i'm in !!

can i use a backtrack ?

Cheers

Laurent

ps: prepare my badge !!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 21 2017, 08:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my first take for this first Quick Lick !!!

Hope you'll like it !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 21 2017, 09:24 PM
You can do it over a backing to show the lick in context or you can do it over a metronome just to show the lick itself. Either way works smile.gif After all, it's about teaching you guys new tricks to learn when soloing! I dig what you did with it here! You are doing a double picking thing and working it in really well in to a solo. I like the rest of the solo as well which is the point of all of this really smile.gif To be able to respond musically to what you hear, in an expressive way. You NAILED IT! AND you are the first recipient of the First Blood of the new QUICK LICKS Badge! Super Congrats smile.gif

Todd

Attached Image

I
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 21 2017, 03:03 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is my first take for this first Quick Lick !!!

Hope you'll like it !

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 21 2017, 09:26 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 23 2017, 07:55 AM
Learning Roadie
I'll be starting work on this tonight.

Quick ask. With these Quick Licks could you give an idea or 2 of the lick in context, ie how to get into the lick and out of the lick during a solo.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 23 2017, 07:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ooooh, that's a bit of a cheeky curve ball throwing in a 3/4 timing biggrin.gif

I'll probably end up just playing the lick for now if that's ok. 3/4 messes with my head, I tend to think about it too much and get muddled laugh.gif not only that, I'm struggling to find a backing track in F minor 3/4 time, but I also see that there are notes note from F minor tongue.gif What key should I search for Todd?

Nice one Todd.

Cheers

UPDATE:

Found this drum only track in 3/4 but I keep getting lost in it rolleyes.gif Any tips?
For the time being I'm counting 1, 2, 3 on the red notes consecutively D Db B Bb A G A Bb B Bb A G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id...p;v=AqS85v7aheM

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 23 2017, 08:19 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2017, 02:49 AM
Good idea smile.gif Sure thing! I'll start adding a bit in to the vids about how one might get in and out of it as a solo lick. With this one, holding the first note on start with vibrato, and exiting the same way would provide a bit of connective tissue to tie it in to a solo.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 23 2017, 02:55 AM) *
I'll be starting work on this tonight.

Quick ask. With these Quick Licks could you give an idea or 2 of the lick in context, ie how to get into the lick and out of the lick during a solo.

Playing it with a metronome is perfectly ok as well. That was the actual plan when we started but playing with backings is ok too smile.gif This one Uses notes that are not in the E Minor scale but it will fit with a lot of E Minor Backings and will fit with E Blues backings as well. If finding something to go with it is proving to be a pain though, just playing the lick with a click track to show you can play it is perfectly cool smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 23 2017, 02:47 PM) *
Ooooh, that's a bit of a cheeky curve ball throwing in a 3/4 timing biggrin.gif

I'll probably end up just playing the lick for now if that's ok. 3/4 messes with my head, I tend to think about it too much and get muddled laugh.gif not only that, I'm struggling to find a backing track in F minor 3/4 time, but I also see that there are notes note from F minor tongue.gif What key should I search for Todd?

Nice one Todd.

Cheers

UPDATE:

Found this drum only track in 3/4 but I keep getting lost in it rolleyes.gif Any tips?
For the time being I'm counting 1, 2, 3 on the red notes consecutively D Db B Bb A G A Bb B Bb A G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id...p;v=AqS85v7aheM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 24 2017, 07:26 AM
Thanks Todd,

My mistake was that I searched for a key signature with four flats in not four sharps so I ended up with F minor instead of E major/C# minor.

The other problem is finding tracks in 3/4 time which is what your example is in. I think, but I'm not sure, that Laurent is using a 4/4 track so is it ok to play the same notes over 4/4 instead of 3/4?

Thanks for this new initiative Todd, it's going to be good. I really struggle with the amount of ammo I have in my armoury, the other thing I struggle with is putting new licks into my normal improvs, I tend to panic a bit when improvising and play the "safe bets".

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 24 2017, 03:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Phil, even though Todd has written it in 3/4, you could probably also work on it as triplets in 4/4, if that makes approaching it easier. Not sure if I'm throwing anyone off even more here though.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Oct 24 2017, 03:43 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 24 2017, 07:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Phil:

like this ??

Cheers

laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 24 2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks Ben and Laurent.

Laurent, I can't really follow the beat on your piece that you did for me, I can't hear if it's 3/4 or 4/4 or if you are doing triplets or not. I can play it with a metronome over 3/4 ok.

What I found odd, and it is probably my lack of understanding of music and/or GP6, is that if I alter the time signature in GP6, the first three beats of each bar strike on the same notes as in 3/4 time BUT the fourth beat comes in after the last note in each bar.

Sorry to digress Todd, I hope I'm not messing this new project up, kick me out if I am huh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2017, 08:37 PM
The good news is that this lick will work over nearly any key if played at speed smile.gif Also, don't worry about the time signature. I just used 3/4 to get it to loop properly in Guitar Pro. You can play it in 4/4 and it still works and it will work against any 4/4 backing. Really any BLUES TRACK you can fine in E with a rock vibe from youtube will work fine smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 24 2017, 02:26 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

My mistake was that I searched for a key signature with four flats in not four sharps so I ended up with F minor instead of E major/C# minor.

The other problem is finding tracks in 3/4 time which is what your example is in. I think, but I'm not sure, that Laurent is using a 4/4 track so is it ok to play the same notes over 4/4 instead of 3/4?

Thanks for this new initiative Todd, it's going to be good. I really struggle with the amount of ammo I have in my armoury, the other thing I struggle with is putting new licks into my normal improvs, I tend to panic a bit when improvising and play the "safe bets".

Cheers

WELL SAID!! indeed it will work just fine as triplets and fit in 4/4 smile.gif It can also work as single pick in 4/4 it just starts looping ahead of the bar count is all.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 24 2017, 10:42 AM) *
Hey Phil, even though Todd has written it in 3/4, you could probably also work on it as triplets in 4/4, if that makes approaching it easier. Not sure if I'm throwing anyone off even more here though.

It's all good smile.gif Any post with a question is a good post IMHO. That's how we learn and why we are here smile.gif So go nuts!! You can set your metronome to 4/4 and just play the lick straight. I think you may be getting to focused on the 3/4 thing. Take the lick and think of it as just one note at a time and start a metronome clicking at a comfy pace in 4/4, then just play the lick one note at a time. You will find the loop point and then just bump up speed from there smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 24 2017, 03:16 PM) *
Thanks Ben and Laurent.

Laurent, I can't really follow the beat on your piece that you did for me, I can't hear if it's 3/4 or 4/4 or if you are doing triplets or not. I can play it with a metronome over 3/4 ok.

What I found odd, and it is probably my lack of understanding of music and/or GP6, is that if I alter the time signature in GP6, the first three beats of each bar strike on the same notes as in 3/4 time BUT the fourth beat comes in after the last note in each bar.

Sorry to digress Todd, I hope I'm not messing this new project up, kick me out if I am huh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 24 2017, 08:57 PM
Ok,

I did just a very basic video, no backing just a click track, just an amp with no effects. I'm trying to use less gain when developing skills as it seems to hide a multitude of sins.

I tried to come up with some other notes around the lick and come back to it. I will try again later in the week with a better guitar tone and a backing but I'm really pushed for time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EmIvOx7AD4

Cheers folks

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 25 2017, 01:59 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I like this quick licks idea, gonna give it a go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2017, 06:40 AM
Works for me smile.gif Just need to see you guys playing the lick with a Metronome to make sure you can play it in time and in a precise manner and your vid shows you doing just exactly that! I also did! So SUPER PERFECT!!!!! Your technique is spot on, your playing is smooth, you keep a nice mute, it's all there. Everything I was hoping to see. Also, it seems clear that your work is paying off! This is a technical lick and you sort it out no prob. Nice!!!

You are only the second person in GMC History to now be "Badged Up!" in Quick Licks. Congrats!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 24 2017, 03:57 PM) *
Ok,

I did just a very basic video, no backing just a click track, just an amp with no effects. I'm trying to use less gain when developing skills as it seems to hide a multitude of sins.

I tried to come up with some other notes around the lick and come back to it. I will try again later in the week with a better guitar tone and a backing but I'm really pushed for time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EmIvOx7AD4

Cheers folks

WELCOME ABOARD!!! You are one of our Highest Ranking Soldiers in Bootcamp so I'm stoked to have you badge up in Quick Licks! You nailed the lick and what I was originally looking for in this thing. Played well, in time, with a metronome, I can see your hands, nice mute, steady on, nice.

This is a really good demo vid, along with Phils, of what the plan was originally for Quick Licks, just turn on your camera and the Metronome and play the lick.

However, as was mentioned, feel free to also use the lick in context if you like, you can add a bit of you soloing with it, or modify it after doing a quick demo, add to it, etc. Go nuts, no limits once you meet the requirement it's all up to you guys. But it's meant to be "quick" so no production/writing/soloing is required. Back to topic, you KILLED IT!!!! Congrats smile.gif One of the first to badge up

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 24 2017, 08:59 PM) *
I like this quick licks idea, gonna give it a go.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 25 2017, 06:30 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 27 2017, 01:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
Here's a shot at it, doing triplets at 200 bpm, or maybe it was 190, can't remember now:

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Oct 27 2017, 01:43 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2017, 05:08 AM
NICE!! Dig the tone, dig dat Ibby, dig the playing! It's all there. Being able to dial in a good tone to get the notes to stick out and being able to mute lightly to let them ring just enough while keeping each one distinct can be a tough balance. You pull it off here with grace and style. As a bonus we get to see one of the dozen or examples of that spiff ibby in all of Europe, and some of the best playing in all of Dane Land to be sure.

It's all there, the picking is spot on, the mute is tight but not too tight, the fingers are flying, the synch is on point, and as mentioned the tone is perfect. All in all this is a great demo of this lick. Very stoked to have you on board for the first of the QUICK LICKS!! smile.gif You just earned one of the first Badges. I look forward to hearing your next one!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 26 2017, 08:14 PM) *
Here's a shot at it, doing triplets at 200 bpm, or maybe it was 190, can't remember now:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2017, 08:56 PM
QUICK LICKS #2

It's from our recent GABE BRIT METAL COLLAB! We are going to use the brit backing track for this so you can have a track to play over if yo prefer it to a metronome smile.gif You can make your vid of the warm up or main lick or both smile.gif
BACKING TRACKAttached File  British_Metal_Collab_V_Backing_by_Darius.mp3 ( 2.59MB ) Number of downloads: 175

*EXPLANATION VIDEO

QUICK DEMO OF THE LICK AT SPEED

P.S. This lick is nearly impossible to play at speed. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's something to work on that keeps paying dividends. Tablature to follow.

*WARM UP LICK!!
This lick is a warmup to the main lick. If you can get this down, the main lick should be no problem. Try to start with an upstroke if you can and keep it all inside alternate picking. However, if you are more comfy doing it another way, that's ok as well. In the end it's up to you how you want to play. I'm doing this as a purely inside picking thing simply because it's a bit more efficient for the hand and allows me to play the lick at speed. Another player may do it as all outside picking in order to play it at speed. Working through these type of things is part of your journey. When folks try to force you to play one way or another, it's usually because they play that way. In the end it comes down to you smile.gif

Attached File  Quick_Licks__2_WarmUp.gp5 ( 1.72K ) Number of downloads: 154

Attached Image

IMPOSSIBLE BUT FUN!!!

Here is the actual lick. It's 16th notes done at about 200 bpm. As long as it fits, you can play it at really any speed you like. No matter how slow. And you don't have to do all the repeats if you don't want. Just one each would be fine smile.gif I know this is pushing things a bit. please let me know if you have questions and let me know how I can help make this lick part of your bag of tricks!!
Attached File  Quick_Licks__2.gp5 ( 2.23K ) Number of downloads: 169

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 30 2017, 06:58 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 30 2017, 09:11 AM
Learning Roadie
It's a holiday today in Ireland and I have no plans but to record and post up Quick Lick 1 & 2.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2017, 01:27 AM
I look forward to it smile.gif Please let me know if you need anything or if I can help in any way. Number 2 is a bit nuts but you can use the warm up lick or the main lick. With metronome or with backing track smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 30 2017, 04:11 AM) *
It's a holiday today in Ireland and I have no plans but to record and post up Quick Lick 1 & 2.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:07 PM