2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Fender New Gtr
Mertay
Nov 1 2019, 08:40 PM
GMC:er

A teaser for now, 4 days later will be revealed. Most speculate it to be a new Elite version.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 2 2019, 01:44 AM
Sparkle finish.
Sculpted back and heel.
It'll be Strat shaped or Jazz/Jag 'offset' shaped (or, some hybrid). *I say Jazzmaster.
Active pickups (the dual concentric knobs). Noiseless. Choices will be SSS, SSH or HH and the pkups will be designed by either Tim Shaw at Fender or another boutique pkup winder. With multiple switching options.
12" radius fingerboard and probably a D shaped (thinner, wider) neck.
Trem bar - probably Strat style but maybe locking(?).
Fancy logo.
And a fancier (USA made) price.
MIM version to follow in a year or two and then eventually a Squier version for $399.00

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 2 2019, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2019, 09:14 AM
So wait for the squier? What do you think Ken. Is this going to be a USA strat worth buying for strat guys? Or is it just some bells and whistles to try to put strats back on the "must buy" list for folks wanting a strat?

I saw an OLA ENGLUND video recently where he had just bought a USA CUSTOM SHOP strat and he says he loves it. If Ola is giving his blessing to strats, it's official. All of the up and coming "youngens" are allowed to like strats smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 1 2019, 08:44 PM) *
Sparkle finish.
Sculpted back and heel.
It'll be Strat shaped or Jazz/Jag 'offset' shaped (or, some hybrid). *I say Jazzmaster.
Active pickups (the dual concentric knobs). Noiseless. Choices will be SSS, SSH or HH and the pkups will be designed by either Tim Shaw at Fender or another boutique pkup winder.
12" radius fingerboard and probably a D shaped (thinner, wider) neck.
Trem bar - probably Strat style but maybe locking(?).
Fancy logo.
And a fancier (USA made) price.
MIM version to follow in a year or two and then eventually a Squier version for $399.00

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 2 2019, 05:06 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 2 2019, 01:14 AM) *
So wait for the squier? What do you think Ken. Is this going to be a USA strat worth buying for strat guys? Or is it just some bells and whistles to try to put strats back on the "must buy" list for folks wanting a strat?

I saw an OLA ENGLUND video recently where he had just bought a USA CUSTOM SHOP strat and he says he loves it. If Ola is giving his blessing to strats, it's official. All of the up and coming "youngens" are allowed to like strats smile.gif

My guess is that the first one released will be a high-end made in Corona California model. $2199.00 List price and $1699.00 (street price) at Sweetwater or GC.

Fender tweaks their models all the time to get folks to buy.
I know that currently they're doing a big push to to try to reinvigorate the guitar market in general. *They have this whole Fender Play lessons website (geared for beginners).
Vintage + Modern 'Super' Strat thing - ? They tried that a few times before and it didn't really go anywhere. Remember the HM Strat? ... https://www.google.com/search?q=fender+HM+s...280&bih=677
Decent guitars but Charvel, Jackson, Ibanez, Performance, etc. had the jump on them.

At this point, I don't think that old dudes like me who are 'Strat guys' are gonna care about yet another hot-rodded Strat or Jazzmaster or whatever. They're banking on a new gen of player that digs a little bit of everything: metal, neo-gospel, hip-hop, edm, indie stuff, etc. equally - the generalized, not in any 'camp' modern listener.

Fender has always solicited players to play and 'show' their instruments. Even in the earliest days Leo Fender would give working players Telecasters to demo, show, tour and gig with and then have them make suggestions (which is how the Strat was born - "gimme a 3rd pkup and round the edges"). The modern version of that is Youtube. Did they 'give' Ola a custom shop model or work out some sort of deal with the shop he picked it up from? Who knows, but dollars to donuts - he didn't pay the $4500 current average CS price.

Should one wait for the Squier version? IDK. How badly do you want it? Do you care about re-sale? Will you immediately change out the pkups and hardware? Etc. If you've never had a Strat (or an off-set) with a humbucker in the bridge and you want to try one, I would wait for the Squier.

My personal advice to players who've never had an actual Stratocaster before is too start with a garden variety model (USA, Mexico or Squier), either SSS or SSH and go from there because if you don't like that you're probably not going to like a hot rodded version.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 2 2019, 05:14 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2019, 08:38 PM
Sage advice from our resident sage on Strats. Well said! If you are not a "Strat guy" this may not be the time to jump in and pay top dollar for a hot rodded strat. Start with something a bit more affordable and practical. If you like it, then maybe look at one of the more pricey versions. These will eventually be "squire" models more than likely and much more affordable. Ola buying a usa strat may be the best thing to happen to fender in quite a while. He has an enormous impact on the guitar playing community in general. If he plays one, people who watch him, (millions of people) are more likely to buy one. Look how fast folks adopted his SOLAR line of guitars. You can barely find a youtube video without one of his guitars in it. Even our own leader Kris Dahl has a Solar. I don't know if fender paid ola for his review, but they should have!
Todd
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 2 2019, 12:06 PM) *
My guess is that the first one released will be a high-end made in Corona California model. $2199.00 List price and $1699.00 (street price) at Sweetwater or GC.

I know that currently they're doing a big push to to try to reinvigorate the guitar market in general. *They have this whole Fender Play lessons website (geared for beginners).
Vintage + Modern 'Super' Strat thing - ? They tried that a few times before and it didn't really go anywhere. Remember the HM Strat? ... https://www.google.com/search?q=fender+HM+s...280&bih=677
Decent guitars but Charvel, Jackson, Ibanez, Performance, etc. had the jump on them.

At this point, I don't think that old dudes like me who are 'Strat guys' are gonna care about yet another hot-rodded Strat or Jazzmaster or whatever. They're banking on a new gen of player that digs a little bit of everything: metal, neo-gospel, hip-hop, edm, indie stuff, etc. equally - the generalized, not in any 'camp' modern listener.

Fender has always solicited players to play and 'show' their instruments. Even in the earliest days Leo Fender would give working players Telecasters to demo, show, tour and gig with and then have them make suggestions (which is how the Strat was born - "gimme a 3rd pkup and round the edges"). The modern version of that is Youtube. Did they 'give' Ola a custom shop model or work out some sort of deal with the shop he picked it up from? Who knows, but dollars to donuts - he didn't pay the $4500 current average CS price.

Should one wait for the Squier version? IDK. How badly do you want it? Do you care about re-sale? Will you immediately change out the pkups and hardware? Etc. If you've never had a Strat (or an off-set) with a humbucker in the bridge and you want to try one, I would wait for the Squier.

My personal advice to players who've never had an actual Stratocaster before is too start with a garden variety model (USA, Mexico or Squier), either SSS or SSH and go from there because if you don't like that you're probably not going to like a hot rodded version.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 3 2019, 12:05 PM
For anyone interested, as non-expensive strat my advice is for the classic-vibe squire series. They're higher spec.ed then ultimate beginner stuff but well worth the extra. Won't comment on the feel but soundwise very good.

I wrote about the Elite's sometime ago here, really disliked the pickups as having very low mid.s and seems the market seemed to agree with me. They do feel good on hands though and now selling at discounted prices, with a pickup swap could be a cool option.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 3 2019, 02:49 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 3 2019, 11:05 AM) *
For anyone interested, as non-expensive strat my advice is for the classic-vibe squire series. They're higher spec.ed then ultimate beginner stuff but well worth the extra. Won't comment on the feel but soundwise very good.

I wrote about the Elite's sometime ago here, really disliked the pickups as having very low mid.s and seems the market seemed to agree with me. They do feel good on hands though and now selling at discounted prices, with a pickup swap could be a cool option.

The CV series is solid. Made in China. I have the tele version and didn't feel a need to swap out the pickups or make any mods. It also felt and played good right out of the box Not a big fan of the super coated glossy neck and body but the pinewood body is really cool. I don't know if it is this China plant or if Squier has just stepped up there game over the years with better luthiers and materials. I haven't tried any of the other Korean or Indonesian made Squiers (if anyone has one I'd be curious to know). The CV series are a bit more expensive than say the Affinity series and the like (around $150-200 more in my area). But obviously they are more affordable than any American or even Mexican made Fenders.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what Fender will unveil with this new Elite series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 5 2019, 04:18 PM
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/genera...Y4pVpV5DaO_TWsk

Some might remember my comments on how good a Tele is (specially bridge pickup) with distortion;

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 5 2019, 04:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 6 2019, 09:02 PM
Not as 'different' or non trad as I thought they would be. That good be a good thing.
They sound good but most stuff on the Anderton's show sounds good so ...
When it's all said and done they're just the 2020 models of Strats and Teles.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 6 2019, 10:48 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 6 2019, 10:02 PM) *

And they almsot fooled us..! laugh.gif

No seriously those are some pretty serious sounds coming from noiseless single coils, I like it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 6 2019, 10:57 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 6 2019, 02:48 PM) *
And they almsot fooled us..! laugh.gif

No seriously those are some pretty serious sounds coming from noiseless single coils, I like it!

They do sound good. As they should. They're the top of the line USA standard production model Fenders.

*I was kinda hoping for a Jazzmaster style trem on a 3-pkup Telecaster.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 6 2019, 11:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 6 2019, 11:57 PM) *
They do sound good. As they should. They're the top of the line USA standard production model Fenders.

*I was kinda hoping for a Jazzmaster style trem on a 3-pkup Telecaster.

You just reminded me I don't even have jazzmaster, though I really need one 😅

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 7 2019, 07:11 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 6 2019, 03:34 PM) *
You just reminded me I don't even have jazzmaster, though I really need one 😅

A JM is one of the most unique axes any company has ever made. With today's high gain amps, pedals and modeling/profiling gear you can do way more than surf and Indie rock on them.
You do need one biggrin.gif
Start lite ... https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_cv_60s_...ter_lrl_3ts.htm

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 7 2019, 10:59 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 7 2019, 08:11 AM) *
A JM is one of the most unique axes any company has ever made. With today's high gain amps, pedals and modeling/profiling gear you can do way more than surf and Indie rock on them.
You do need one biggrin.gif
Start lite ... https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_cv_60s_...ter_lrl_3ts.htm

Oh no you are tempting me to go down the path of misery and tumaniguitars. Speaking of which... those pickups, what size are they? Could I just swap them for humbuckers if I don't like the stock ones? Or would that be blasphemy?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 7 2019, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 6 2019, 08:02 PM) *
Not as 'different' or non trad as I thought they would be. That good be a good thing.
They sound good but most stuff on the Anderton's show sounds good so ...

Yeah they keep the signature (front) looks or all hell will break loose biggrin.gif

The Elite felt different immediately cause of the neck, a finish I wasn't familiar with. Its hard to comment on these without playing one, at the time I liked the more traditional spec.ed USA guitars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2019, 12:56 AM
Ola gets a couple grand or so for each review from what I understand. He's done quite well for himself. I don't know if he just bought that strat or they sent it to him. He does have quiet a huge collection of axes. he even has one of the super rare "Southern Cross" Dimebag guitars. Those go for as much as $10,000 if you can find one. He had to go all the way to Australia to locate a guy who had one and that's where he bought it. The southern cross is #47 of #100 ever built. So folks has a big reaction when he showed up with a strat smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 2 2019, 12:06 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 8 2019, 12:59 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2019, 01:39 AM
Looks like there is "JAZZ MASTER ULTRA" coming out for KEN!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 8 2019, 04:07 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 7 2019, 05:39 PM) *
Looks like there is "JAZZ MASTER ULTRA" coming out for KEN!

Looks cool but I have a really nice '96 CIJ Jazz Master (crafted in Japan).

*Of this new line, the HSS Strat sounds and looks the coolest (at least from the vids) and is the least gimmicky. I personally don't like 'hot-rodded' Teles or JMs because IMO it negates most of what is cool about those guitars. Strats have been Frankenstein'd since forever and are a great platform to do it on.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2019, 01:45 AM
Makes sense. After all, JMs and Teles were meant to be JMs and Teles. Strats started life as a requested tele mod and have been mod platforms ever since. The legendary franken mod by Eddie comes to mind that led to an entire generation of new designs from other builders, Kramer/BC Rich/Ibanez/etc. After Eddie, here comes slanted pickups, locking trems, hockey stick necks, etc.
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 7 2019, 11:07 PM) *
Looks cool but I have a really nice '96 CIJ Jazz Master (crafted in Japan).

*Of this new line, the HSS Strat sounds and looks the coolest (at least from the vids) and is the least gimmicky. I personally don't like 'hot-rodded' Teles or JMs because IMO it negates most of what is cool about those guitars. Strats have been Frankenstein'd since forever and are a great platform to do it on.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 9 2019, 01:46 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 9 2019, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 8 2019, 05:45 PM) *
The legendary franken mod by Eddie comes to mind that led to an entire generation of new designs from other builders, Kramer/BC Rich/Ibanez/etc. After Eddie, here comes slanted pickups, locking trems, hockey stick necks, etc.

Exactly!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:07 PM