> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Mountain Thistle's Creative Practice, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2014, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Dmitry, welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I will help you to design creative routines based on your musical tastes, weak and strong points. Our short and long term goals will always be make music so every concept and lesson that we work should be used to create your own melodies, improvisations and musical ideas.

At first I would like to know a bit more about you...

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- What do you know about theory and improvisation?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that you've recorded.

Ok mate, I'll be waiting for your info, I hope that you enjoy this journey! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Aug 26 2014, 04:47 AM
GMC:er
Hi Gabriel,

Technically, I've been playing a few years, but it wasn't really permanent learning process.

Bands are, first of all, Nightwish, Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica. Then goes Metallica, Amorphis, Amon Amarth, Blackmore's Night, Falconer, Lacuna Coil, Avantasia and Poets of The Fall. The guitarists are Emppu Vuorinen, Marcus Siepen with Andre Olbrich and Kirk Hammet.

My goal in guitar sense is to become a high level guitar player in musical styles that I have passion for and then evolve into a songwriter. In other words, in five years I see myself rehearsing with my own band working on songs that I compose and learning more musical trends to make my own songwriting arsenal more rich.

Giving my past failing experience of persistent musical learning process, I'd say one and a half - two hours a day, for starters.

Yeah, I have some sort of playing live experience in front of 10-20 people. Just a little.

Theory and improvisation. I had a year of individual classes of acoustic guitar where we've gone through the basics of musical theory, so I know it a little. Still far from improvisation.

It's hard to assess my self in sense of weak and strong points, so I'd better give a link to a video with me playing electric and semi-acoustic guitars. Here you go:
1. http://vk.com/id204495925?z=video204495925...videos204495925
2. http://vk.com/id204495925?z=video204495925...videos204495925

Thanks, man. I'm definetely going to enjoy it! =))

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 22 2014, 02:47 PM) *
Hi Dmitry, welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I will help you to design creative routines based on your musical tastes, weak and strong points. Our short and long term goals will always be make music so every concept and lesson that we work should be used to create your own melodies, improvisations and musical ideas.

At first I would like to know a bit more about you...

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- What do you know about theory and improvisation?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that you've recorded.

Ok mate, I'll be waiting for your info, I hope that you enjoy this journey! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 26 2014, 07:10 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! How are you? Thanks for this information. It really helps me to know you more and to be more precise regarding the tasks and routine for the next weeks. I can say that I enjoyed your videos. You have a good sense of rhythm when you play both rhythm and guitar melodies.
So it's a good background to start working on more advanced stuff.

It would be very good if you can dedicate some time to experiment with your videos guitar sound to make me hear your guitar clearer. Please check this video where you will find some cool and free ideas to do it:

On this first week, we will focus on some technique and musical lessons to start training and adjusting your guitar technique.

The routine could look like this:

Warming Up (7 minutes)

Alternate Picking (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Tersiv...use-Song-Part2/

Legato (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hammer...Pull-Off-Etude/

Bending & vibrato (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla..._for_beginners/

Rhythm (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Finnis...l-Stratovarius/

Free creative moment/jamming/play along with songs (20 min)

Do you know some GMC lessons that you like and that fit on these categories?

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Aug 28 2014, 10:30 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Aug 28 2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks for useful video, Gabriel! Will try it in a few days when I shoot another video smile.gif

I'm working now on https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Tersiv...use-Song-Part2/
Must be counted as alternate picking practice)

After finishing this one, I'll pick some lessons to practise legato, bending, vibrato and rhytm. Is that how it works?

Cheers

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Aug 29 2014, 02:45 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2014, 10:47 PM
Instructor
Not exactly! I added suggested lessons for each topic. The idea is that you work on each topic every day. It's a diary routine. Please check out the lessons suggested and let me know if you would like to change some of them. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
May 15 2015, 09:55 PM
Got it!

Shall I upload the videos here or on Youtube and then post a link here?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 16 2015, 04:32 PM
Instructor
Youtube and then insert them here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
May 17 2015, 03:27 AM
Finally, I managed to record the guitar sound clearly.

So, here's the first lesson I upload:

1) Neoclassical Solo For Beginners (Bending&Vibrato)

It seems that vibrato is ok and bending is a bit sloppy. Is it good enough or shall I redo it?

Looking forward to you feedback, Gab! smile.gif

Cheers

PS. I tried to use InsertSpecialItem-->YouTube, but it seems not to be working. How do you normally do it?

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h28oc8nMpbs

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: May 17 2015, 03:45 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2015, 06:33 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Congrats on your first video here!

I can say that you are doing a very good job with this one. You have a very good sense of rhythm and your playing is good. There are a few things that you need to have in mind during the next days of practice:

- Vibrato: It's good that you let the note sound and then you start the vibrato gradually, it's exactly how it should be done. Your vibrato is also regular, and goes with the groove. The thing that is lacking, is to be wider and more aggressive, mostly for this style. Play along with the original lesson and try to emulate the instructors vibrato.

- Bending, your bending is not consistent. You need to work on it. Please use the youtube video exercise to train your bending 5/10 minutes every day.

- Dynamics: Your picking has always the same intensity. The use of dynamics (stronger and softer notes) will give more life to your playing.

In order to insert videos here, you just have to copy and past the link showed in this image:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
May 21 2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I didnt quite get it about the dynamics. Do you mean the vibrato notes that I should accent more?

PS. How does it work with videos and lessons in general? I mean, do you give As and Bs or we just work on a lesson until you say it's good?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 22 2015, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, the dynamics are the different intensities that you can use when picking notes. You can pick strong or soft and the effect and feeling that you get is different. If you play everything with the same intensity, your phrasing will sound less organic, more like electronic or robotic.

Listen to this lesson and pay attention to this concept:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Dynamics/

And let me know if you get it.

I didn't get these question:

do you give As and Bs or we just work on a lesson until you say it's good?

mostly the "As" and "Bs", what does it mean?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
May 23 2015, 09:35 PM
I mean like marks that you get in secondary school smile.gif

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
May 24 2015, 03:09 AM
Here's the 2nd take of Neoclassical Solo For Beginners.

I think that bending here improved a lot and this time I play vertical vibrato notes more often than horizontal (compared to the 1st take).

I got your idea about the dynamics. Although I didn't succeed this time, I hope to improve in further lessons.

Looking forward to your reply rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: May 24 2015, 03:13 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2015, 10:38 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Congrats on our hard work! This take shows important improvements compared with the previous take! Your vibrato and bending is more consistent now and your playing is sounding smoother. I think that it would be ok if you practice 2 more days on this one focusing on making vibrato even more consistent, the last licks smoother and start experimenting with accents on some notes to give more dynamics to your playing.

It would be good if you share the next recording on REC, as here you'll have grade and comments from different instructors. It's good to have more point of views, and also a grading reference.

When should we go for new lessons? We can replace lessons from the routine as soon as you have them at a level similar to this one. In two days you'll receive your REC grading and if you have an 8 or more, we can consider passed and we can go for a new lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Jun 6 2015, 05:49 AM
I've just uploaded Take 3 of Neoclassical Lesson at REC section. I improved [00:21-00:37] section here - now all the vibratos here are vertical, not horizontal. It was quite a trick to get how to do it smile.gif

Now I'm working on Tersivels-Cruzat-Beer-House-Song-Part2, Hammer-On-Pull-Off-Etude and Finnish-Power-Metal-Stratovarius Lessons. In case I pass REC examination, you might add another lesson instead of Neoclassical one.

Have a good day!

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Jun 6 2015, 05:52 AM

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Jun 7 2015, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 6 2015, 08:09 PM) *
Hi mate! Great to find your take at REC!

I can hear new improvements compared with the last take you shared at the mentoring program thread. But here we usually see the glass half empty, haha, so here I go:

- Vibrato: This technique is evolving but you need to continue polishing it. It's good to make it wide, but you must be careful with pith since there are some moments where the pitch of the note is a bit off. Another thing to have in mind is the "groove" or "rhythm" of your band, that should go more natural with the backing, and also the width, that should grow more gradually. Just details to have in mind. Practicing over the original lesson can help.

- Dynamics: You are playing all the notes with the same intensity. Check how Emir accentuates some notes of the phrases to make the take more expressive.

For the curious, we are working with MountainThistle on this and some other lessons at this thread: LINK.

Keep on the great job!

1. Do you mean that the pitch is a bit off because of wrong vibrato amplitude?

2. > Another thing to have in mind is the "groove" or "rhythm" of your band, that should go more natural with the backing, and also the width, that should grow more gradually.

I didn't really get it, would you explain it again please?

3. As for dynamincs, it is my bad, I didn't pay attention to it. Thanks for reminder smile.gif

4. Shall I keep working on the lesson or do we wait for more grades?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 8 2015, 03:43 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

1. It happens when you bend the note while you do the vibrato. When doing vibrato you can bend it but it must get back to the original note it's a vibration effect, if you keep bending the note a bit you have pitch issues.

2. I meant the rhythm of the vibration, it should go with the backing track's groove. You can use different time values but it fits better when it related with the overall groove.

4. Yes, you should keep working on it. You already have some good feedback there.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Jul 9 2015, 08:29 PM
Hi again Gab,

Talking about dynamics in the REC Neoclassical Solo For Beginners Bogdan Radovic commented: "Also, the amp/patch you are using lacks in dynamics it seems (maybe there is some kind of compressor added to the signal chain? If so, turn it off.). You need dynamics to be able to play some notes louder and some softer and more quiet in order to make the solo sound more expressive. "

I couldn't PM Bogdan, so I thought you might have an idea smile.gif

I use guitar + creative e-mu 0404 + reaper and guitar rig presets. How can I get rid of this compressor thing to have more dynamics?

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Jul 9 2015, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2015, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

At first you should check if there is a compressor turned on in your patch. If you find one on the inserts section, turn it off. If not, the problem must be related to the quantity of drive, if you can set it with a little less of drive, your tone will have more dynamics. Finally, dynamics are totally related to your picking hand, so if you tone is not the responsible of the lack of dynamics, this means that you are picking all notes with the same intensity, so you are not using this elements as an expressing tool.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Jul 10 2015, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the answer, Gab! I just got the message from Bogdan too smile.gif

As for dynamics, I took a look at the lesson you recommended (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Dynamics/) and I clearly see the difference in right hand picking strength. Here, in Neoclassical Solo, I don't see it, only may be there's a bit more strength in vibrato notes - is that what you mean?

PS. Now looking over the the lesson, 00:15-00:20 seems to sound quieter than the rest and the top strength is at 0:44, right?

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Jul 10 2015, 11:30 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:23 PM