> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Stinger’s Mastering Lead Guitar , for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 13 2012, 03:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Stinger!! Welcome to your Gab's Army thread!!

Could you please tell me a bit about you, your musical tastes, influences, strengths and weaknesses? I would need some videos of you playing rhythm and solo guitar, so please post your best material here. If you have some music or ideas of your own, also post them here. Also let me know how you think that I can help you and what are your expectations for our job. You can check the other Army's thread to discover the different modalities of this project.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not realy just kidding... )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Stinger
Mar 13 2012, 09:00 PM
GMC:er
Hi Gabriel,

thank you very much smile.gif

I'm Marcus, living in Germany, 26 years old, and an IT system professional. I am mainly a rhythm guitarist who wants to play a lead guitar, but without the progress I thought I'd make... I love hearing songs of bands like Metallica, Slayer, that kind of Thrash Metal, but I'm also a great fan of different bands like Queen, Deep Purple, even Eric Clapton etc.
I have two friends who are playing in a band and sometimes I play with them - however I wish I'd improve my skills more so that we could play a lot more together (e.g. improvising solos, but first of all playing solos properly...)
My strengths are mainly rhythm-oriented. Hammer-ons/pull-offs, slides and bends are more or less easy to play for me, but I have a greater problem with speed and precision though. Faster solos are always only possible to play until the fast part for me. Pinch harmonics are also a disaster wink.gif

The video thing is a problem, I don't have recording equipment here to make a video. However, I wanted to buy an audio interface to record some of my stuff. What would you suggest?

Mainly, I need someone to help me fishing out the right lessons in an order that makes sense, and someone who has a lot more of playing experience to help me with the techniques I haven't figured out yet. I'm not quite sure how this Army thing is working, so let me know what you would expect from a student as well wink.gif

Regards,
Marcus

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Stinger: Mar 13 2012, 09:04 PM

--------------------
"Just because you know umpteen billion scales, it doesn't mean you have to use them all in a solo." - Kirk Hammett

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
Marshall VS 232 R 2x30W Combo
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 13 2012, 09:26 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for your introduction. The Army is basically a project to help GMC students to take their playing or composing abilities to a new level. I adapt the modality of work to each student so we can develop it together. The idea is that I give you assignments, lessons, exercises or anything to work on basing on your main goals (in this case Lead Guitar playing). It would be very important to at least hear you playing the exercises, it would be awesome if you can also film yourself at least with a webcam. This could help me to see your posture and hands movements and give some feedback about it. To start working I should hear your playing (you can use a cell phone of something) or you can tell me your level based on the lessons here at the site.

I also would like you to join some collabs at the site and help you with it, so if you finally get a recording interface we can also go for it!

By the way the first thing that I would like you to work is in this exercises:

LESSON #1 – WARMING UP & ENDURANCE

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
Mar 13 2012, 09:37 PM
I see. Well, I'll try to record myself with my mobile phone at first - (it makes full HD, but the problem is the sound I think). The interface is on it's way, so it could be possible to mix the video with the sound - if I can figure that out wink.gif Collabs are a great think and I'm hoping to be able to participate soon!

I found the exercises you gave me a couple of days ago smile.gif I'm on it now.

One question: What about "+ STRETCHING (check out the different movements in the video chat)"? Are the video files saved somewhere?

This post has been edited by Stinger: Mar 13 2012, 09:42 PM

--------------------
"Just because you know umpteen billion scales, it doesn't mean you have to use them all in a solo." - Kirk Hammett

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 13 2012, 10:23 PM
Instructor
That sounds great mate! I'll send you a PM now where you'll find video with the stretches. wink.gif

I'll be waiting for your takes! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
Apr 10 2012, 04:24 PM
Well, I've managed to record some riffs I was working on... unfortunately it's not as precise as I wanted it to be, but I still have problems with the metronome/recording synchronization. Making a video is also a little challenge, still working on it.

[attachment=27067:First_recording.mp3]

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2012, 07:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Apr 10 2012, 12:24 PM) *
Well, I've managed to record some riffs I was working on... unfortunately it's not as precise as I wanted it to be, but I still have problems with the metronome/recording synchronization. Making a video is also a little challenge, still working on it.

[attachment=27067:First_recording.mp3]

Hi mate, your playing needs some timing adjust but it's not bad. You palm muting sounds good. It would be great if you can record something using a backing track and I would also like to help you improving your tone. How did you record this?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
Apr 12 2012, 11:31 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 10 2012, 07:12 PM) *
Hi mate, your playing needs some timing adjust but it's not bad. You palm muting sounds good. It would be great if you can record something using a backing track and I would also like to help you improving your tone. How did you record this?

Hi Gab,
I recorded it through my PC interface using a Boss GT-8, but the sound is still under development wink.gif
What would you recommend as a backing track? Some cover songs that I play or just a drum beat?

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2012, 12:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Apr 12 2012, 07:31 PM) *
Hi Gab,
I recorded it through my PC interface using a Boss GT-8, but the sound is still under development wink.gif
What would you recommend as a backing track? Some cover songs that I play or just a drum beat?

What about using a lesson in the style of the bands that you like? There are many metal lessons here at the site... what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
Apr 13 2012, 04:30 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 13 2012, 12:40 AM) *
What about using a lesson in the style of the bands that you like? There are many metal lessons here at the site... what do you think?

Great idea, I'll try that!

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2012, 04:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Apr 13 2012, 12:30 PM) *
Great idea, I'll try that!

Do you have any ideas? Check Lian's or Ben's lessons!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
Apr 13 2012, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 13 2012, 04:39 PM) *
Do you have any ideas? Check Lian's or Ben's lessons!

I think I'll give Ben's Scorpions style rhythm lesson a try - sounds like I could do it with a few hours of practice. See you around wink.gif

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 14 2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Apr 13 2012, 07:25 PM) *
I think I'll give Ben's Scorpions style rhythm lesson a try - sounds like I could do it with a few hours of practice. See you around wink.gif

Excellent! Please post your take here! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
Apr 20 2012, 03:52 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 14 2012, 04:49 PM) *
Excellent! Please post your take here! wink.gif

Hi Gab,
I have recorded a first take of the Scorpions style lesson. I still have problems with the timing, but unfortunately the backing track is only available at full speed. I'll post a more precise take, but for now here is the first version...
See you around.Attached File  Scorpions_style_rhythm_take1.mp3 ( 551.86K ) Number of downloads: 130

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2012, 10:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Apr 20 2012, 11:52 AM) *
Hi Gab,
I have recorded a first take of the Scorpions style lesson. I still have problems with the timing, but unfortunately the backing track is only available at full speed. I'll post a more precise take, but for now here is the first version...
See you around.Attached File  Scorpions_style_rhythm_take1.mp3 ( 551.86K ) Number of downloads: 130

You definitely have to work on this one at slower tempos. You can ask Ben for the slower tempos. Send him a PM and he will send them to you. You aren't still comfortable with this tempo.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
Apr 22 2012, 10:50 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 20 2012, 11:37 PM) *
You definitely have to work on this one at slower tempos. You can ask Ben for the slower tempos. Send him a PM and he will send them to you. You aren't still comfortable with this tempo.

I've asked Ben, he'll send me the file when he has found it smile.gif P.S.: The next takes will hopefully come with a video.

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 23 2012, 05:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Apr 22 2012, 06:50 AM) *
I've asked Ben, he'll send me the file when he has found it smile.gif P.S.: The next takes will hopefully come with a video.

Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
May 7 2012, 11:36 AM
Hi Gab. Unfortunately I didn't have much time the last week, so I wasn't able to practice and record much. Here is another take of the Scorpions style rhythm at 100bpm. One passage is still breaking my neck, maybe I should try another lesson first... what do you think?

Attached File  scoprions_style_rhythm_100bpm.mp4 ( 6.75MB ) Number of downloads: 123

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 7 2012, 07:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Stinger! That's not a bad take. Your timing is good, the problem appears in the faster AP parts. You should isolate those short scale fragments and practice them as a loop over metronome. We should definitely start working on another lesson but without missing this one.
Do you have any lesson in mind?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Stinger
May 9 2012, 11:50 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 7 2012, 08:21 PM) *
Hi Stinger! That's not a bad take. Your timing is good, the problem appears in the faster AP parts. You should isolate those short scale fragments and practice them as a loop over metronome. We should definitely start working on another lesson but without missing this one.
Do you have any lesson in mind?

I'll have a look at a not too difficult lead lesson, maybe something bluesy to begin with?

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:34 AM