2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Anyone Knows The Boss Me-70 Is Good?
Niels
Jun 22 2009, 11:46 AM
GMC:er
Hi there,

Since a year I'm playing in a band and I have a problem with increasing my volume when I play a solo. I have some effectpedals that help me a bit with it, but still I think it's not sufficient.
I was looking at the Boss ME-70 and the the salesman in the guitar store was really enthousiastic about it.
Of course he is also trying to sell something so I don't know if I can trust his words.
Does anyone have any experience with this one?

I assume the GT-10 is better, but since that one is more expensive this is not an option for me.

Hope to hear from you.

With kind regards,
Niels

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
-Ibanez RG320dxfm-TG
-Richwood strat
-Effects: Boss ME-70, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS-7
-Amp: Cheap old Fender H.O.T.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 22 2009, 12:09 PM
jdriver wrote a review of it HERE!!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Niels
Jun 22 2009, 01:29 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 22 2009, 01:09 PM) *
jdriver wrote a review of it HERE!!!!

Ah thanks! It seems to be a great device.

--------------------
My gear:
-Ibanez RG320dxfm-TG
-Richwood strat

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 22 2009, 01:36 PM
It also got a 4.5/5 Star review in Guitarist magazine when it was released!! smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Niels
Jun 22 2009, 01:43 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 22 2009, 02:36 PM) *
It also got a 4.5/5 Star review in Guitarist magazine when it was released!! smile.gif

I guess the salesman is more reliable than I thought he was wink.gif
I think I'll have to change my signature soon smile.gif

--------------------
My gear:
-Ibanez RG320dxfm-TG
-Richwood strat

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 22 2009, 03:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Do you need a multieffects unit? You allready got some cool pedals, maybe you can make a pedalboard.
MXR Microamp is great for boosting : http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...dal-?sku=151104

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 22 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm really happy with the unit, especially for recording. The delay is outstanding and the looper is fun. I don't have experience playing live with DS/OD, so I'm hoping someone here will soon comment on that part of it.

Since you're wanting a boost, the ME-70 has 2 boost settings for taking things up a notch or two, and kicking that tube amp.

This post has been edited by jdriver: Jun 22 2009, 03:33 PM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 22 2009, 04:46 PM
ive been wanting one for a long time now...they are really awesome sounding!

my favorite feature is the smart harmonizer

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 22 2009, 05:15 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
For solos, a 7 band EQ pedal with a boost is the way to do it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 22 2009, 06:38 PM
Instructor
Since you already have some decent overdrive pedals, buying this unit seems like a logical choice to me, since you will be getting all-in-one package with solid effects but less good overdrive (but you have pedals as I said) smile.gif let us know what you did! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Niels
Jun 23 2009, 10:40 AM
I've just looked for more single pedals, but they are so much more expensive. I'd like to have at least a delay and a gain, but for the same price I can almost buy a ME-70. Plus the ME-70 has more options, the possibility to save presets, the phase loop, wah wah, etc. etc.

I'll go for the ME-70. This Thursday it'll be mine! smile.gif

I'll have to wait 45 hours............

--------------------
My gear:
-Ibanez RG320dxfm-TG
-Richwood strat

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 23 2009, 01:17 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 22 2009, 07:38 PM) *
Since you already have some decent overdrive pedals, buying this unit seems like a logical choice to me, since you will be getting all-in-one package with solid effects but less good overdrive (but you have pedals as I said) smile.gif let us know what you did! smile.gif

As you guys know I still have some doubts regarding this matter, so allow me to ask a couple doubts based on Ivan's suggestion here smile.gif

Would it be a good solution to place an analog stomp overdrive before the Me70, and use only the ME_70 for the rest of the effects then?

I was going to get an overdrive, chorus (CE-5), delay (DD-7) & reverb . Since BOSS CE-5, DD-7 and reverb are digital, I guess it wouldn't hurt much using the ME-70 instead of the CE-5/DD7/Reverb (because the ME70 is also digital).

So it would be like this: Guitar > Analog overdrive > ME70 > Vox AC4

Is that a good setup?
Would the analog overdrive work well placed before the ME70?

This post has been edited by Fran: Jun 23 2009, 01:45 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 23 2009, 01:57 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jun 23 2009, 02:17 PM) *
So it would be like this: Guitar > Analog overdrive > ME70 > Vox AC4

Is that a good setup?
Would the analog overdrive work well placed before the ME70?

As a matter of fact just the other day I tried my Zoom 505II into the same Vox. The Zoom is older than the ME70 and as with older digital stuff things happen in that department.
However, I plugged in the Zoom and oh boy... sucky sound. It killed the character of the amp and added plastic. With an OD infront of my Zoom to increase the signal I could only expects suckier sound.

I know it's not what anyone would want to hear but I don't belive in this setup. It's only human to look for someone to agree in order to get some support for closing the deal... but I'm not the bringer of such support wink.gif

Might be the ME70 will infact sound good when you plug it in before the amp... but analog pedals will sound better.
Especially with distortion. TC Electronic made a pedal like the ME70 where the distortion circuit is analog and the other effects are digital, that's a descent compromise.

I think I said it earlier in another thread, that putting the ME70 in the loop and run timebased effects through it could work fine. But putting it before the amp is something I don't belive is good at all.
Putting an digital device before the preamp is just wrong. Blasphemy! biggrin.gif

Then of course, if one would be happy anyway to compromise with the sound and don't care the soul of a tube amp doesn't reach through - of course, it works! But then a solid state amp would do.
What it all comes down to is compromising. The ME70 looks great from one aspect, it comes loaded with effects. If that's the case, if there's a need for lots of effects at a low price compared to buying them one by one and the budget is too tight. Then the answer is just there, get the ME70!
IMO a pedalboard doesn't have to be larger than: Wah, EQ, Delay
These will get you a long way.

If the amp lacks a reverb, add that too.
If the amp lacks good distortion, add a dist pedal. Or an OD.

Risk is with too many that most of them will never ever get used anyway.

Hope that helps in anyway. smile.gif

EDIT: analog -> digital in one place

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 23 2009, 02:53 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 23 2009, 02:57 PM) *
I know it's not what anyone would want to hear but I don't belive in this setup. It's only human to look for someone to agree in order to get some support for closing the deal... but I'm not the bringer of such support wink.gif

Actually I don't mind going one route or the other, just trying to find the best solution. And I value hearing unbiased opinions like yours Micke, specially when you have the same amp smile.gif

Putting an analog device before the preamp is just wrong. Blasphemy! biggrin.gif

I guess you ment digital.
In that case placing a BOSS DD7 or a BOSS CE-5, or a BOSS Reverb would be a bad idea too. I believe they are all digital.
But given they are good quality sepparate stomp boxes, and that AC4 lacks an effect chain, couldn't they be the best solution?

What it all comes down to is compromising. The ME70 looks great from one aspect, it comes loaded with effects.

Sound patches are nice too!

IMO a pedalboard doesn't have to be larger than: Wah, EQ, Delay
If the amp lacks a reverb, add that too.
If the amp lacks good distortion, add a dist pedal. Or an OD.

For me it will be OD/Chorus/Delay/Reverb/Wah
And they will have to go before preamp of course!

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 23 2009, 03:23 PM
you put chorus delay and reverb before the pre amp? why?

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 23 2009, 03:29 PM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Jun 23 2009, 04:23 PM) *
you put chorus delay and reverb before the pre amp? why?

I will have to, because the amp doesn't have an effect loop.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 23 2009, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jun 23 2009, 03:53 PM) *
I guess you ment digital.
In that case placing a BOSS DD7 or a BOSS CE-5, or a BOSS Reverb would be a bad idea too. I believe they are all digital.
But given they are good quality sepparate stomp boxes, and that AC4 lacks an effect chain, couldn't they be the best solution?

You're right! Analog reverbs are a different story wink.gif
A digital delay in a stomp box format, to my experience sound better than from a multieffects box. That's to my ears, when I play. If I hear a recording I could never tell a difference, no way.
The Line6 X3 would be a quite advanced multieffects unit, through an amp, I don't get it to sound good at all.

So instead of saying analog and digital as a general term I sound say stomp box vs. multi effects unit.

Trust me, since the early 90's I've been trying out multi effect units just to find a good replacement for expensive stomp boxes. Hasn't happened yet. Havn't tried the available rack units though.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 23 2009, 04:03 PM
Why does everyone just assume the OD/DS on the Boss is no good? Actually the ME-50 got pretty good reviews in that department. Boss certainly does know how to model their own pedals. I wish someone would go to a store and play one and find out, but then tone is so subjective. sad.gif

As I said, I can't really comment on the quality, since I have no experience with DS. From what I have tried on the ME-70, I'm enjoying the Blues and OD-1 settings in particular.

The delays are very nice, digital or not.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 23 2009, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (jdriver @ Jun 23 2009, 05:03 PM) *
tone is so subjective. sad.gif

Yes, so true!! Well said!

And you guys know I don't even have a ME70 so my opinion is not based on facts about this unit but on previous experiences of various multi effect pedals I have had since early or mid 90's. I've never been pleased.
So it would be easy to rule my opinion out as invalid just like that.
But, also knowing I've tried multi effect pedals into amps and PA and never had a good tone, ever, that's worth concidering too.

But like jdriver said, tone is subjective. There's no wrong or right, just good or bad sound to ones own ears. ...and lots of cool gear to suit everyone wink.gif

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 25 2009, 12:59 AM
It does make you wonder.. why they don't build one of these with the digital section handling the delays and equalizers, and a selection of 6 or so classic analog DS/OD. Using common controls for drive, tone, and level, the analog boards could be placed so they wouldn't take up much room and the switching could be handled by the patch manager...

You heard it here first! PATENT PENDING wink.gif

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:19 PM