Picking Hand Placement
Jak
Dec 18 2015, 07:53 PM
GMC:er
So when alternate picking it seems most people recommend resting the wrist/palm on the lower strings for muting unwanted noise in addition to stability. This is no problem for me but where do u guys put your hand when picking the low e string since there is no lower string? Am I supposed to move my hand onto the body of the guitar or just kinda float it above the e string. I have a les Paul style body so the strings are fairly high off the body which makes it kinda awkward to have my hand resting on the actual body but hovering my hand above the string feels like I have no control. Maybe just need to practice floating my hand more?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 18 2015, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
I'd suggest try to find a "Middle Spot" on the bridge that you can place your hand and just tilt a bit to hit any string from low E to High E. That way you can eliminate unwanted noise no matter what string you are playing on. It's a natural thing to want to move your hand around during the mute. However, try to avoid this if possible. Not everyone can play like this as everyone has a different set of hands. But it's a great way to keep things muted and let your right hand worry about fretting. Make sense?

I'd say keep your hand over the bridge in the same spot, even if you are not muting, so that you can switch to a mute without re adjusting your hand. Can you shoot a pic or vid to show your current technique?

Todd

QUOTE (Jak @ Dec 18 2015, 02:53 PM) *
So when alternate picking it seems most people recommend resting the wrist/palm on the lower strings for muting unwanted noise in addition to stability. This is no problem for me but where do u guys put your hand when picking the low e string since there is no lower string? Am I supposed to move my hand onto the body of the guitar or just kinda float it above the e string. I have a les Paul style body so the strings are fairly high off the body which makes it kinda awkward to have my hand resting on the actual body but hovering my hand above the string feels like I have no control. Maybe just need to practice floating my hand more?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 19 2015, 12:25 PM
Instructor
Simply move your resting point to bridge saddles (move your hand to the right). This way you will not mute the strings (low ones) and still get a solid resting point.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:12 PM