Getting An Accoustic
29a
Apr 7 2009, 03:30 PM
GMC:er
I fiddled a little bit with an acoustic guitar yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. So now I want to get an acoustic guitar myself. So I read some stuff about acoustics but I'm still quite unsure. So I need your help guys.

First what I wanna play. I guess its mostly picked stuff. I'm not a big fan of crazy strumming. I'm interested in classical pieces, rock and so on. And I want to play the bards song for sure. I hope that makes sense.

So where I am now.

I think classical guitars are not really the right thing for me. They seem to be so clunky. So I guess what I want is a western guitar. They seem to be far less clunky. Now Dreadnought or Jumbo, oh well I have no Idea. I've also noticed ovations roundback guitars. They seem to be quite interesting to me.

I think that one could actually be something for me:
http://www.thomann.de/de/ovation_2778ax5.htm ...at least it looks cool AND it says elite rolleyes.gif !

As you can see I've got no clue about the subject, please help me.

First how much money does a good acoustic cost?
By good I mean one that will make me wanna play it because it sounds and feels good not a perfect instrument.

Am I right with my assumption that I'm probably better off with a western guitar than a classic concert guitar?

Are Ovations something for me?
Especially the one linked.

What other guitar would you recommend?

Jonas

EDIT: why can't I correct the accoustic in the title sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by 29a: Apr 7 2009, 03:37 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Startear
Apr 7 2009, 03:40 PM
I have Washburn D10S, it's awesome, take a look at it

Washburn

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 7 2009, 04:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Really depends on your useage mate.

Are you looking for an acoustic to do unplugged or primarily still use amp/pa?
What style of music are you looking to play? (fingerstyle, busking etc)
Whats your budget?
whats more important, sound or the name on the headstock (Hey it does matter to some people)

I would have a look at this thread as well, loads of stuff in there!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;hl=ajmurrell

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 7 2009, 04:32 PM
Well this is partially my problem. I don't exactly know. I guess I'll only play that acoustic at home so I don't need to play over a PA and generally I don't need to be loud. But I think a pickup would be good for recording anyway but I'll mostly play unplugged.

I don't know where I'm heading sound wise. I guess I'll try to play some classical pieces and rock stuff. I think the bards song is a good example of the kind of acoustic music I'd like to play.

The budget is very variable. But I don't want to spend to much because it's my first acoustic and I don't know how much I'm going to use it. But I want a good one so I will use and enjoy it.

And the brand name doesn't matter much, I'm not planning to resell it later. The looks, well, if it looks good it's a plus. But I'm not going to pay a fortune for the looks (I'd only do that with electrics =P).

Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Apr 7 2009, 04:35 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Apr 7 2009, 04:39 PM
I own Ovation Custom Legend and a 12 string Legend, and they are outstanding quality, but I don´t know about these Korean made ovations. You could buy one, and if you like it, then mabye move up to the USA made later. smile.gif

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Torben
Apr 7 2009, 04:59 PM
The reason you find it difficult is because it IS difficult! smile.gif

I spent many hours in shops to find my Martin guitar. At some point I got extremely confused, since a lot of guitars all have wonderful tone, playability etc. But in the end I kept returning to this one. And I got a nice discount as well..

Personally I'm not much into Ovation guitars. The pricerange you suggest (600 EUR) gives you a lot of choices. The important thing is to listen for the sound that YOU like. It seems to me, that you would like a versatile, robust guitar and since you suggest plugging it for stage, it doesn't need a big sound: hence you don't need a jumbo!
Try out different brands and I will suggest trying different Takamines, since they have build themselves quite a reputation, when it comes to value for money.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 7 2009, 05:41 PM
The best advice I can offer is to go to a Music Store and physically play them!! The difference in sound between different Guitars is so vast that you need to hear it first hand! Also to get the 'feel' of each one as well! I went to my Local Store to buy an Electro/Acoustic. I had a limited budget but he had quite a good range of new and used Guitars. I tried a Gibson, a Fender, an Ovation, a small bodied Martin and several others before finally choosing one. I ended up walking out with a brand new Suzuki Nagoya (Hand built in the Suzuki Violin factory!!) for £300. That was a few years ago and that guitar just gets better sounding with age!!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 7 2009, 06:26 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 7 2009, 06:41 PM) *
The best advice I can offer is to go to a Music Store and physically play them!! The difference in sound between different Guitars is so vast that you need to hear it first hand!

Sure, but I don't like to go to the music store with no clue.

Jonas

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 7 2009, 06:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
A good starter point would be to say that you want a semi acoustic with a cutaway for higher fret access, avoid the rounded back types as they are ok for amps but sound rubbish acoustically, I would also be wary of designer types that have fancy soundholes and stuff, guitars have been made a certain way for hundreds of years for a reason!
As far as budget its take your pick! They differ even more than electrics and are harder to tell apart too unless you know what you are looking at.
for your first acoustic I would recommend by Crafter, Takamine and some of the fenders for around the 400-700 euro range, upwards of a 1000 euro you should be looking at Martin, Fylde and the like.
As for size Dread's have a great sound but can be tiresome to play, spanish bodies have a nice tone but can be a little refined if you want to crash a few open G's!
If you want a guitar to treasure why not go see a luthier? You would get a damn fine acoustic for the same as an off the peg job tailored to your needs, it wont say Martin on the headstock but it will be your personal frien for years!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 7 2009, 08:20 PM
Instructor

I don't know the perfect answers mate, but maybe some things that I write can help:

1. how much money does a good acoustic cost?
This varies from country to country, but I've found the "magic price line" at around 500euros. All above that sounded pretty good to me. The feel was lot smoother, and the sound was full and lusher. The guitars bellow 500e were great as well, but something was always missing, wetter it is the weak sound, bad setup, frets, build, preamp. Everything must be tried out in the end, and I think scanning the stores for couple of weeks and trying out 15-20 acoustic guitars can give you a lot of useful info to determine what you need.

2. Am I right with my assumption that I'm probably better off with a western guitar than a classic concert guitar?
It depends what you wanna play with it I guess. Classic guitar has nylon strings, different sound, and it can be great for classic but not that great for other types of music, western - vice versa. Determining what you wanna get is determined the kind of music you will play with it the most. As always trying both kinds in the stores would only go you good in making a right decision.

3. Are Ovations something for me?
We are all different and have different preferences. If you want my advice, go to the store, try out couple of Ovations, couple of Takamine, Fenders, and Yamahas in the similar price range. This will give you a great idea what exactly are you looking for.

4. What other guitar would you recommend?
As I wrote in the previous answer, trying Takamine, Fender, Yamaha, possibly Martin and Gibson models is something that I recommend. Since you have a good budget, it is good to know all the possibilites.

Hope this helps, cheers mate.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 7 2009, 08:21 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 8 2009, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 7 2009, 06:26 PM) *
Sure, but I don't like to go to the music store with no clue.

Jonas

Well, the best way is to follow your ears!!! Go and try a few and go with the one that sounds best to you!!! If you go and try a few and then let us know which make/models they were we could then give some more advice!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Apr 8 2009, 04:28 PM
Also check out Epiphone EJ200 Jumbo. It´s very affortable about 400$. I´ve tried it and it´s a great instrument for the price. And it looks great.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 8 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your help.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 7 2009, 09:20 PM) *
I don't know the perfect answers mate, but maybe some things that I write can help:

1. how much money does a good acoustic cost?
This varies from country to country, but I've found the "magic price line" at around 500euros. All above that sounded pretty good to me. The feel was lot smoother, and the sound was full and lusher. The guitars bellow 500e were great as well, but something was always missing, wetter it is the weak sound, bad setup, frets, build, preamp. Everything must be tried out in the end, and I think scanning the stores for couple of weeks and trying out 15-20 acoustic guitars can give you a lot of useful info to determine what you need.
Thanks, that's about the information I was looking for. I guess it's time to try some acoustics the next time I walk into a guitar store.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 8 2009, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 8 2009, 04:54 PM) *

Thanks, that's about the information I was looking for. I guess it's time to try some acoustics the next time I walk into a guitar store.

Try seagull, they are a canadian company and really great value. I would spend at least $500 on an acoustic, anything in that range should be fine.

EDIT: Also Alavarez (sp?) is a great brand too. My next acoustic, but it's $899

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Apr 8 2009, 05:56 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 9 2009, 10:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 8 2009, 05:54 PM) *

No prob, let us know what you bought in the end. Cheers mate! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:25 PM