2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Alternate Vs Hybrid Picking
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2012, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Hey guys!! As I said in another thread I'm working on the lesson Extreme Neoclassical by Muris since the last Tuesday and I would like to share my experience. It's curious but the part that is giving me more trouble at fast tempo are the classical pedal note ideas.. For example the lick at 00:18 of this video...

F                                              
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
------------------------------------------------|
----13-12-13-10-13----13----13---13----13----13-|
-------------------12----10----9----------------|
------------------------------------12----10----|
--8---------------------------------------------|

G#dim
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E
--------12-10-12-9-12----12---12----12----12----|
----------------------10----9-------------------|
--9------------------------------12----10----9--|

I realized that my problem are the outsides picking when I have to cross from string 2 to string 4. So I'm developing some exercises to work on this.

Then I found this video by the player Damjan Pejcinoski and I noted that he uses Hybrid Picking for that parts. I think that it's a really good idea and seems easier for me... check it out.

I really like this technique and I will work in this way... but I also want to use this to improve my outside picking when I'm crossing strings at fast tempos.

I started working at 120 bpm and now I'm reaching 135/140 bpm (excepting the pedal note section). I use to play fast but I've never had check how fast I was.... this piece is sooo fast! My idea is to master it and record my take.. maybe for the REC?? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 04:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 13 2012, 04:06 PM) *
Hey guys!! As I said in another thread I'm working on the lesson Extreme Neoclassical by Muris since the last Tuesday and I would like to share my experience. It's curious but the part that is giving me more trouble at fast tempo are the classical pedal note ideas.. For example the lick at 00:18 of this video...

F                                              
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
----13-12-13-10-13----13----13---13----13----13-|
-------------------12----10----9----------------|
------------------------------------12----10----|
--8---------------------------------------------|

G#dim
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E
--------12-10-12-9-12----12---12----12----12----|
----------------------10----9-------------------|
--9------------------------------12----10----9--|

I realized that my problem are the outsides picking when I have to cross from string 2 to string 4. So I'm developing some exercises to work on this.

Then I found this video by the player Damjan Pejcinoski and I noted that he uses Hybrid Picking for that parts. I think that it's a really good idea and seems easier for me... check it out.

I really like this technique and I will work in this way... but I also want to use this to improve my outside picking when I'm crossing strings at fast tempos.

I started working at 120 bpm and now I'm reaching 135/140 bpm (excepting the pedal note section). I use to play fast but I've never had check how fast I was.... this piece is sooo fast! My idea is to master it and record my take.. maybe for the REC?? smile.gif

Yes, record, please! smile.gif
Well, Muris is an alternate picking beast, so why not use different approach if you find it easier and it sounds good? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 13 2012, 04:28 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Damn, I wish I could do this one too. It does help speed picking though. Good Luck Gabriel. Would be great to see your take. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor
hey guys! thanks for the words of encouragement! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 13 2012, 06:31 PM
Instructor
This is really cool! Hybrid picking is a tricky technique and I know you have to play four notes per string I really want to master it!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 13 2012, 06:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
this lesson scares me biggrin.gif
The video of the guy hybrid picking - I watched the vid full screen and if he's hybrid picking, it's so subtle I wouldn't have even noticed it. his fingers barely moved!

Can't wait to see your take, and more interestingly, the fact that you are posting your experiences as you learn this lesson I find great!! It's good to know the mental process and how you feel about certain parts as you learn it - what is challenging, and how you propose to overcome the hurdles. Thanks for this thread!

Chris

and on a side note: I watched the Muris Lesson and at the end, the chord notations that flashed on the screen went by so fast I had to laugh - it's like you have see the video lesson in slow motion to know what Letters flashed on the screen LOL. laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jan 13 2012, 06:44 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 13 2012, 07:30 PM
Instructor
I've played with that lesson before too and those pedal note licks were evil !

I was just going to find that video of the hybrid picking guy and then I noticed you'd found it anyway wink.gif

If you're already at 135/140 you're still doing an amazing job.. better than most of us mortals cool.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2012, 05:56 AM
GMC:er
Both Vids are just amazing. Muris is astounding and I"m gonna have to learn this. Wow.!!!!

I"m a serious fan of "Hybrid Picking" and use it pretty much all the time. I've found that ascending bits work more efficiently on the hand (IMHO) with Economic Picking and descending bits work more efficiently on the hand (again IMHO) using Alternate Picking. Taking advantage of the natural motion of the hand as it's moving in a given direction determines my picking. I don't think about it, it just happens. Which is handy smile.gif So Eco going up string, AP going down. When playing really fast you are dealing in fractions of a second between pick strokes so leveraging the physics of the hand itself becomes important.

But every player is different, so some folks will just find this approach to be "Plain Crazy!" as strick Eco or AP works better for them. And if it works, keep doing it!

OBSERVATION: THE FLOATING HAND AND SPEED

I notice in both videos that the picking hand on both players was drifting slightly above the bridge, especially during the fast picking bits. The second video, the guy uses a string mute at the end of the neck to prevent string noise as he lifts his pick hand entirely off the bridge during fast picking.The hand wants to rise off the bridge naturally as planting it and picking fast at the same time feels very odd, especially at first. If one is adept at left hand muting, and doesn't generate tons of extra string noise, it's usually fine. (Muris is a great example, although he is palm muting the lower strings most of the time). The second video, where the guy is using the string mute, is an example at the other end. Don't get me wrong AMAZING PLAYING on both. Just pointing out something I see quite a bit. If you can get used to playing fast and just rotating the hand on the bridge to reach different strings instead of lifting it, you will find it's easier to "Palm Mute" anything, even fast lead runs on any string, including the high E, B, etc.

I talk about this a lot in video chat. Using the bridge as a pivot point. It's not something the hand does by itself, but it's easily adjusted.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 14 2012, 12:24 PM
Instructor
Had the honor of meeting Damjan in 2010 and yes he is a hell of a player biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing your take on this piece Gabe biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 14 2012, 05:57 PM
Instructor
Hmm, I'm pretty good with outsides, and with string skipping, but need to work more on inside. It's great to discuss these things in detail, and very good discussion. I'm tackling these lesson for a while now, but still far away from being so precise. Still, it's a game that lasts, and those whos stories are worth the most - are survivors smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2012, 07:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 13 2012, 02:39 PM) *
this lesson scares me biggrin.gif
The video of the guy hybrid picking - I watched the vid full screen and if he's hybrid picking, it's so subtle I wouldn't have even noticed it. his fingers barely moved!

Can't wait to see your take, and more interestingly, the fact that you are posting your experiences as you learn this lesson I find great!! It's good to know the mental process and how you feel about certain parts as you learn it - what is challenging, and how you propose to overcome the hurdles. Thanks for this thread!

Chris

and on a side note: I watched the Muris Lesson and at the end, the chord notations that flashed on the screen went by so fast I had to laugh - it's like you have see the video lesson in slow motion to know what Letters flashed on the screen LOL. laugh.gif laugh.gif

hahah yes, it took me a lot of attention to discover that he was using Hybrid Picking. After some days of practice I think that Alternate Picking is a bit easier for me for that licks. However I still need more practice because those parts only sound perfect when I'm playing at 130 bpm.

I practised a lot these days and I got up today with some pain in my arm so I'm giving my hands a rest. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 13 2012, 03:30 PM) *
I've played with that lesson before too and those pedal note licks were evil !

I was just going to find that video of the hybrid picking guy and then I noticed you'd found it anyway wink.gif

If you're already at 135/140 you're still doing an amazing job.. better than most of us mortals cool.gif

138 but with lots of errors! smile.gif I will post a video of my progress as soon as my hands feel better!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 14 2012, 01:56 AM) *
Both Vids are just amazing. Muris is astounding and I"m gonna have to learn this. Wow.!!!!

I"m a serious fan of "Hybrid Picking" and use it pretty much all the time. I've found that ascending bits work more efficiently on the hand (IMHO) with Economic Picking and descending bits work more efficiently on the hand (again IMHO) using Alternate Picking. Taking advantage of the natural motion of the hand as it's moving in a given direction determines my picking. I don't think about it, it just happens. Which is handy smile.gif So Eco going up string, AP going down. When playing really fast you are dealing in fractions of a second between pick strokes so leveraging the physics of the hand itself becomes important.

But every player is different, so some folks will just find this approach to be "Plain Crazy!" as strick Eco or AP works better for them. And if it works, keep doing it!

OBSERVATION: THE FLOATING HAND AND SPEED

I notice in both videos that the picking hand on both players was drifting slightly above the bridge, especially during the fast picking bits. The second video, the guy uses a string mute at the end of the neck to prevent string noise as he lifts his pick hand entirely off the bridge during fast picking.The hand wants to rise off the bridge naturally as planting it and picking fast at the same time feels very odd, especially at first. If one is adept at left hand muting, and doesn't generate tons of extra string noise, it's usually fine. (Muris is a great example, although he is palm muting the lower strings most of the time). The second video, where the guy is using the string mute, is an example at the other end. Don't get me wrong AMAZING PLAYING on both. Just pointing out something I see quite a bit. If you can get used to playing fast and just rotating the hand on the bridge to reach different strings instead of lifting it, you will find it's easier to "Palm Mute" anything, even fast lead runs on any string, including the high E, B, etc.

I talk about this a lot in video chat. Using the bridge as a pivot point. It's not something the hand does by itself, but it's easily adjusted.

Great observations Todd! I always prefer playing using my right hand and also some fingers (mostly the index) of my left hand to mute the strings that I'm not playing. However I will try this lesson using something to mute the string only to feel the difference.

Once thing that helped me was just practising AP exercises (like the ones that I shared in my last 2 videochats, check my lesson notes?) at 140/150 bpm to get used to that killer speed (I've never played that fast so I have to get used to it, my hand gets tired soon).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 07:14 AM
Instructor
hey guys! just an update of my progress! I'm working on short AP exercises to get used to this fast tempo...
this is an example of what I'm practising...

|--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||--------------------------------------------------------------------|
B||--------------------------------------------------10-12-13-10-12-13-|
G||----------------------------------9-11-12-9-11-12-------------------|
D||------------------9-10-12-9-10-12-----------------------------------|
A||--9-10-12-9-10-12---------------------------------------------------|

|--3--| |--3--|
S S S S S S H.
--10-12-14-10-12-14-15------------||
----------------------------------||

Check out the guitar pro file:

Attached File  Exercise.gp5 ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 82

and my takes at 150 bpm and 155 bpm. smile.gif

Attached File  150_bpm.mp3 ( 120K ) Number of downloads: 89

Attached File  155_bpm.mp3 ( 100.41K ) Number of downloads: 89

Practising short licks like this one is very helpful to get use to the speed... then the goal is to have the resistance to play long ideas at this tempo..

I'm still having problems with the pedal note neoclassical licks but they sound better now...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 17 2012, 09:33 AM
Instructor
Man, that's fast !! You'll get there in no time cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2012, 10:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 17 2012, 06:14 AM) *
hey guys! just an update of my progress! I'm working on short AP exercises to get used to this fast tempo...

|--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
B||--------------------------------------------------10-12-13-10-12-13-|
G||----------------------------------9-11-12-9-11-12-------------------|
D||------------------9-10-12-9-10-12-----------------------------------|
A||--9-10-12-9-10-12---------------------------------------------------|

|--3--| |--3--|
S S S S S S H.
--10-12-14-10-12-14-15------------||

Check out the guitar pro file:

Attached File  Exercise.gp5 ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 82

Practising short licks like this one is very helpful to get use to the speed... then the goal is to have the resistance to play long ideas at this tempo..

I'm still having problems with the pedal note neoclassical licks but they sound better now...

Awesome mate biggrin.gif glad to hear you're making progress with this

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 17 2012, 11:20 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 17 2012, 06:14 AM) *

Gabe, you are a fkn WEAPON! awesome chops, you WILL get there..... "the only thing holding you back is the way your thinking" smile.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 17 2012, 01:34 PM
GMC:er
when Gabe, isn't playing with Cirse, he plays with another band and is known by Petrucci, that is.... his secret, for the godly skills ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 17 2012, 01:35 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 17 2012, 01:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 17 2012, 12:34 PM) *
when Gabe, isn't playing with Cirse, he plays with another band and is known by Petrucci, that is.... his secret, for the godly skills ph34r.gif

Gabriel when he is older

Attached Image

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Jan 17 2012, 01:40 PM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 02:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 17 2012, 07:20 AM) *
Gabe, you are a fkn WEAPON! awesome chops, you WILL get there..... "the only thing holding you back is the way your thinking" smile.gif

Exactly!! That's the key!! smile.gif

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 17 2012, 09:34 AM) *

haahahahaah tongue.gif

QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 17 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Gabriel when he is older

Attached Image

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 2 2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
How is this coming out Gabriel? I am interested because I also tried this one time but never reached there. sad.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 2 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Mar 2 2012, 09:50 AM) *
How is this coming out Gabriel? I am interested because I also tried this one time but never reached there. sad.gif

Well, you achieved more than most with your version ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:49 AM