The Sustainiac, Opinions
Matt23
Aug 24 2008, 06:36 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I just found out about this pickup called the sustainiac while i was looking at the jackson dk2. There's a demo of it here and here. It basically puts infinite sustain on your guitar, and can put harmonics on, both by pressing a button on the guitar. I think it looks really cool, but i just wondered what peoples opinions were on it, and do you think its cheating to use one of these. Also has anyone had the chance to play with one of these, they look fun. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Matt23: Aug 24 2008, 06:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 24 2008, 06:43 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Looks cool biggrin.gif

It's not more cheating than using a pedal smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 24 2008, 06:49 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 24 2008, 06:43 PM) *
Looks cool biggrin.gif

It's not more cheating than using a pedal smile.gif

Suppose not, but sustain pedals can't make feedback effects (or can they).

+Quote Post
seagull
Aug 24 2008, 06:53 PM
GMC:er
Well, it's just something which you can add to your guitars sound as well as many other things! Cheating? No, because playing guitar is about making music, it's not a competition, so you can't cheat. smile.gif

The guitarist and lead singer of the popular danish band "Kashmir" used the sustainiac pickup on their to this day most successful album The Good Life (1999). He used it especially to create a dynamic and spacey guitar sound, even though the guitarwork is rather simplistic on the album. You should really check it out. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 24 2008, 07:21 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Steve Vai uses one of these extensively on Whispering a prayer - an awesome piece of music. In fact, Vai has a special guitar he uses for that song, called Flo - his others don't have the sustainers.

At the beginning of this you see him change guitars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUSkGeaUPU

So yes, in my book, its and effect or tool like any other, you can use it to make an unholy racket or to make beautiful music, its up to to you!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Aug 24 2008, 08:42 PM
GMC:er
Lukather is using it, too. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 24 2008, 09:50 PM
Instructor
Great tool indeed!
It's just that you have to replace your current neck pickup with Fernandez one.
You can use Ebow as well to produce same effects without messing with electronic. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 24 2008, 09:56 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 24 2008, 09:50 PM) *
Great tool indeed!
It's just that you have to replace your current neck pickup with Fernandez one.
You can use Ebow as well to produce same effects without messing with electronic. smile.gif

Yeh, unless the guitar you get has it already installed like some do. I wonder how good it sounds as a pickup without the sustain.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:47 AM