Humans Evolving In Both Extremes
Ben Higgins
Jul 9 2012, 08:08 PM
Instructor
I just overheard a tv programme about sprinters and they were talking about Usain Bolt, which made me start thinking about the standard of athletic performance increasing over the years.

There would have been a time when the 100m sprint in 10 seconds seemed impossible. Now it's generally always 9. something seconds.

Do you think the human body will continue to evolve to eclipse these performances or must there be a limit to what is physically possible ?

On the other side of the scale, we're always reading about how we exercise less, humans are becoming lazier and more obese.. there is a very good chance that we will also evolve according to the fact that we don't ask as much from our body, to the point where everything is done on computer and we only need a big head to store info and a body with very little mass.. a bit like aliens in fact.. huh.gif

So, whilst humans may be evolving to perform faster, better... one side may be evolving to be exactly the opposite - what do you think ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jul 9 2012, 08:19 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
There is definitely a limit (just to think in extremes, we will never probably run it in 1 second right?) but probably we are still far from it smile.gif

Aside from that I totally agree with you on how much less we use our body in a physical manner. However, we use our minds in so much more effective and powerful ways. So yea I think we evolve in some ways and don't in others.. Our brain I think evolves very rapidly..

The other thing that your post made me think is the following: evolution is about the survival of the fittest in a very broad sense. If I think of an average human life, we don't really need to survive in a literal way. Like we don't need to hunt for food or run from other predators or fight viruses or bacteria in a way we did say a hundred years ago. So yea in some sense since we don't need to survive as much as we did back then we probably are not evolving so much in physical ways but again our minds are evolving. Survival in our time is a bit different I guess compared to how it was back in time smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jul 9 2012, 08:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
I cannot believe how lucky I was to stumble upon this just now. The proof we are heading for a future with super viking babies
(And I'm just 168 cm mad.gif )

The thing is, we can be healthier than 50 years ago if we want to. Children can get all the nutritents they need, so they will grow up to be stronger and taller. We can choose not to have handicapped babies born with new technology.

On the other side some people who would not have lived earlier are now able to with care or medicine, that they could not acces earlier. Babies with massive brain damage will now survive to a life of care, but they are not likely to have children of their own.

So all in all we are getting stronger, the ones who are not suffering from hunger at least.

Another topic, I think earth is overpopulated. If we had 3-4 billion people, who could all get food and education, I think we would be going superhuman even faster.

EDIT:
I think also, that a lot of people my age knows how important excercise is, and they do a lot of sports which is healthier than the back breaking labor of their grand parents.

Then there are the others, who gave up and is now morbidly obese.

To sum up: those who really do take care of their bodies will break new records of speed and strength in the future.

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Jul 9 2012, 08:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 10 2012, 12:28 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 9 2012, 08:08 PM) *
So, whilst humans may be evolving to perform faster, better... one side may be evolving to be exactly the opposite - what do you think ?

Im really hoping we evolve x-men style coz I want to be nightcrawler mellow.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 10 2012, 12:39 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Humanity will attempt to control its own evolution. It can lead to grand understanding and amazing feats, long lives free of disease and sickness.

It could also cause untold misery, this is human kind after all.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 10 2012, 02:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 10 2012, 12:39 AM) *
Humanity will attempt to control its own evolution. It can lead to grand understanding and amazing feats, long lives free of disease and sickness.

its been said(absolute power, corrupts absolutely)I get chills thinking of what would happen if man had the power to control its evolution

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 10 2012, 08:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I wish we could get faster and stronger in a short amount of time, but unfortunately evolution doesn't work like that. It takes thousands of years and many generations for significant change to take place in humans. Humans actually haven't changed in tens of thousands of years, we are no smarter or stronger than our cavemen ancestors. One hundred years is not enough time for evolution to produce the difference between Usain Bolt and a runner from 1910. There are other factors that have contributed to the rise in performance levels.

The increased performance can attributed to better diet, better training, and a larger pool of people. We have figured out which foods and nutrients will give us performance results we seek. We have also figured out how to pair this improved diet with a training regiment that produces increased physical performance. The most significant difference between today and 1910 IMHO is that fact that we have a larger pool of people to draw from. There weren't many people running competitively 100 years ago. Today, however, there are track and field programs at just about every school in the US, and probably also at every other school in the world. This is an ENORMOUS pool of people, surely out of this group there is going to be at least one freak of nature laugh.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 10 2012, 08:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 10 2012, 08:15 AM) *
I wish we could get faster and stronger in a short amount of time, but unfortunately evolution doesn't work like that. It takes thousands of years and many generations for significant change to take place in humans. Humans actually haven't changed in tens of thousands of years, we are no smarter or stronger than our cavemen ancestors. One hundred years is not enough time for evolution to produce the difference between Usain Bolt and a runner from 1910. There are other factors that have contributed to the rise in performance levels.

The increased performance can attributed to better diet, better training, and a larger pool of people. We have figured out which foods and nutrients will give us performance results we seek. We have also figured out how to pair this improved diet with a training regiment that produces increased physical performance. The most significant difference between today and 1910 IMHO is that fact that we have a larger pool of people to draw from. There weren't many people running competitively 100 years ago. Today, however, there are track and field programs at just about every school in the US, and probably also at every other school in the world. This is an ENORMOUS pool of people, surely out of this group there is going to be at least one freak of nature laugh.gif

Yeah I hear ya.. experience, knowledge, better understanding of things can lead to a better overall result in anything. A lot of it will be mindset as well... I was reading in Schwarzenegger's book about how a 500lb lift (can't remember exactly which, might have been deadlift, dunno..) hadn't been done.. people could get to just under it but never over it. Then one day eventually somebody broke the 500lb barier and then all of a sudden loads of other people started doing it as well. All because they believed it was now possible. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 10 2012, 08:43 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 10 2012, 03:25 AM) *
Yeah I hear ya.. experience, knowledge, better understanding of things can lead to a better overall result in anything. A lot of it will be mindset as well... I was reading in Schwarzenegger's book about how a 500lb lift (can't remember exactly which, might have been deadlift, dunno..) hadn't been done.. people could get to just under it but never over it. Then one day eventually somebody broke the 500lb barier and then all of a sudden loads of other people started doing it as well. All because they believed it was now possible. smile.gif

Its also kinda the same with guitarists. Once Malmsteen arrived on the scene, hundreds of other shredders popped out of nowhere. Then once YouTube came about, every Tom, Dick and Harry with a guitar started shredding. Its madness wacko.gif

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 10 2012, 09:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 10 2012, 08:43 AM) *
Its also kinda the same with guitarists. Once Malmsteen arrived on the scene, hundreds of other shredders popped out of nowhere. Then once YouTube came about, every Tom, Dick and Harry with a guitar started shredding. Its madness wacko.gif

Yep, indeed it is ! biggrin.gif

I often say how the most freeing experience for me was when I stopped comparing myself to other guitarists and feeling the need to be able to do what they do. It's like you sidestep the whole performance race and just get on with what you want to be doing - it's great ! smile.gif

The same applies to your whole life as well.. you don't have to follow someone else's way. You might devote your whole life to someone else's ideal but when you're 60 something and looking back in regret, there's no consolation from following someone else's advice / theories etc.. and they don't have to live in your skin and walk in your shoes so their approach may be 'the truth' for them but if it's not your truth you're gonna be paying for it and they'll just be looking on, shrugging their shoulders 'Oh well, it worked for me..'

Gone a bit off topic. Hopefully you get what I mean !? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 10 2012, 09:45 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 10 2012, 04:20 AM) *

I often say how the most freeing experience for me was when I stopped comparing myself to other guitarists and feeling the need to be able to do what they do. It's like you sidestep the whole performance race and just get on with what you want to be doing - it's great ! smile.gif

The same applies to your whole life as well.. you don't have to follow someone else's way. You might devote your whole life to someone else's ideal but when you're 60 something and looking back in regret, there's no consolation from following someone else's advice / theories etc.. and they don't have to live in your skin and walk in your shoes so their approach may be 'the truth' for them but if it's not your truth you're gonna be paying for it and they'll just be looking on, shrugging their shoulders 'Oh well, it worked for me..'

+1 biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 10 2012, 10:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 10 2012, 08:43 AM) *

When someone shows that something is in fact possible it makes it easier for others.

Was it Travis Pastrana who did the first backflip on MX and then suddenly others were able to do it, now he's doing doubles.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 10 2012, 02:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 9 2012, 11:28 PM) *
Im really hoping we evolve x-men style coz I want to be nightcrawler mellow.gif

Guess who I wanna be? laugh.gif

Since i am a big fan of working out and being able to use your body at full extent without having any issues whatsoever, I totally agree with the fact that we are becoming more and more lazy, not to say stupid and un-educated....In my country, the bacalaureate exams were A TOTAL DISASTER in the last years....

Imagine that only 46% of the highschool graduates managed to take this very important exam last year and only 44% this year. In the times when mom and dad took it, it was considered somewhat of a shame of great proportions if you failed it.

I am beginning to talk like an old man and this is what scares me the most...I caught myself saying 'When I was your age...' did that happen to you? Well, I hope it won't smile.gif

Let's go to the gym, practice guitar, read, learn and exercise out minds to develop ourselves continuously, mates - at least this is my recipe and I am going all the way through with it!

Cosmin

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 10 2012, 08:20 AM) *

Words of wisdom and food for thought smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 10 2012, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jul 13 2012, 07:04 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 9 2012, 11:39 PM) *

I once had the idea of writing a book based on this premise(sci-fi).

When humans gain the ability to genetically engineer their offspring, I thought it would be cool to have a scenario where only the rich could afford the procedure and the poor could not. This would leave a rich upper class and a poor lower class. The rich would become increasingly intelligent, attractive, and athletic while the poor would eventually be shackled and engineered to be slaves. The poor would then be engineered to have certain 'perks' according to whatever job they were given. Whether it be extra limbs, eyes, etc depending on their jobs.

Eventually the main character would cause an uprising and overthrow the system, which is a bit cliched, but what good story doesn't have that cliche? laugh.gif

I thought it would be a really neat Dystopian setting. Imagine my surprise when Michio Kaku said something like that was plausible in his mind some time after. laugh.gif

Anyway, I am certain someone has written a book like this. I can't be the first to have this idea.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 13 2012, 07:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jul 13 2012, 07:04 PM) *
I once had the idea of writing a book based on this premise(sci-fi).

When humans gain the ability to genetically engineer their offspring, I thought it would be cool to have a scenario where only the rich could afford the procedure and the poor could not. This would leave a rich upper class and a poor lower class. The rich would become increasingly intelligent, attractive, and athletic while the poor would eventually be shackled and engineered to be slaves. The poor would then be engineered to have certain 'perks' according to whatever job they were given. Whether it be extra limbs, eyes, etc depending on their jobs.

Eventually the main character would cause an uprising and overthrow the system, which is a bit cliched, but what good story doesn't have that cliche? laugh.gif

I thought it would be a really neat Dystopian setting. Imagine my surprise when Michio Kaku said something like that was plausible in his mind some time after. laugh.gif

Anyway, I am certain someone has written a book like this. I can't be the first to have this idea.

Well, all great art borrows from other great art ! smile.gif Sounds cool.. would make a great video game ! wink.gif

Reminds me of something I read the other day... an amateur will imitate but a pro will steal !

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jul 13 2012, 07:35 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 13 2012, 06:17 PM) *
Well, all great art borrows from other great art ! smile.gif Sounds cool.. would make a great video game ! wink.gif

Reminds me of something I read the other day... an amateur will imitate but a pro will steal !

Maybe one day I will get to writing it. smile.gif

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Yash
Jul 14 2012, 06:32 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 10 2012, 07:19 PM) *
Guess who I wanna be? laugh.gif

Since i am a big fan of working out and being able to use your body at full extent without having any issues whatsoever, I totally agree with the fact that we are becoming more and more lazy, not to say stupid and un-educated....In my country, the bacalaureate exams were A TOTAL DISASTER in the last years....

Imagine that only 46% of the highschool graduates managed to take this very important exam last year and only 44% this year. In the times when mom and dad took it, it was considered somewhat of a shame of great proportions if you failed it.

ohmy.gif And the situation is TOTALLY reserved in my country !!!!! ohmy.gif

While it's normal for a high school student to get over 85% in his board exams, and there are many that get over 90 %, like over 200,000, but many of them don't get into a college. Now, imagine what would happen to those who scored, something like, 70% , they either don't get admission into ANY college, or get in a not so reputed college. But, those, who scored less, but act smart and select the course carefully, they do get admission(like me for example tongue.gif ) in a good college

And the scenario is altogether different in the Competitive Entrance Exams to get admission into the good colleges for Engineering or Medicine. The person, who gets rank 1, usually scores, somewhere like 70% in the exam ohmy.gif And the person, who gets 65% doesn't make it, even to the top 10,000 ohmy.gif So, you either pass in this exam, or fail MISERABLY, because there's no difference between someone who scored 65% and someone who scores 10%(believe me, there are people like those too)

But in the days of my dad, the competition was not so extreme and most people used to score around 75-80%.

But in the end, MONEY TALKS. Even if you didn't get even 5% in any competitive exam and just passed board exams on the brink of passing ie 40%, I can still get you admission in a descent college, just give me $90,000 laugh.gif And Indians do have that much money, many of them, mostly businessmen or engineers(I don't know why ??)

And they still say India is a poor country, in the end, Rich get richer, everyone else gets poor sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Jul 15 2012, 12:46 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jul 14 2012, 04:04 AM) *

Well, the movie Gattaca has similar elements though the main character doesn't start a revolution.

This post has been edited by OzRob: Jul 15 2012, 12:46 PM

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jul 15 2012, 03:18 PM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Jul 15 2012, 11:46 AM) *
Well, the movie Gattaca has similar elements though the main character doesn't start a revolution.

It does have a few fairly similar elements. I wanted to kind of combine all the Dystopians into one super - story as a prequel and then morph it into a Biopunk timeline

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:04 AM