Gary Moore Tone
hansome21
Apr 27 2009, 02:11 AM
GMC:er
So I have been listening to a lot of Gary Moore lately, and playing a lot too. More specifically, Still Got the Blues. You see I've been in love with the way bends and good vibrato sound my entire life, I learned how to do them off the Bending Heaven lesson here, its great...

anyways, I have a digitech rp250 and I cannot get a good Gary Moore tone, especially on the bends. I can get the vibrato pretty well, but the tone is just off. It has too much bite, ya know? Too much high end. Its how I imagine the tone for the climax in a heavy metal solo would sound. My settings right now are set up the same way Ivan has them in this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...sound-tutorial/ . I know that its a different type of pedal he has going there, but mine has very similar settings so I just went for it.

Long story short, the tone is no where near what I want. Should I start from scratch? should I just adjust a few things?right now, out of my rp250, these settings make my bends sound to sharp and screechy, especially at high volumes. I usually play metal so I have no idea how to get this pure, deep, bright tone wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 27 2009, 02:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
First of all: a modeling amp sound will never be as warm as Gary's Marshall tube amps...but you can get close!!!

I am not familiar with the Digitech modelers but I would suggest choosing a marshall style amp model, I guess there are a few marshall-inspired amp models on the rp250. As for settings I would suggest:

bass: 10 o'clock
middle: 12 o'clock
high: 13 o'clock
gain: 12 o 'clock
add reverb and a short delay to your tone

*it might be that you will be needing more mids and maybe more or less gain/ depending on your guitar and the amp model...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
hansome21
Apr 27 2009, 03:00 AM
GMC:er
ok, if it helps, my guitar is a PRS Tremonti SE, I have an old fashioned princeton tube amp (present from my dad, this things from like the late 60s, amazing tone) and other than that i play through these two big PA speakers in my room (hooked up via a mixer)

so for my big amp, if you follow the cords it looks like guitar-->pedal-->mixer/amp-->PA speakers. Now to me, it sounds like too many things interfering with the signal before the speakers, BUT it actually sounds much closer to gary moore on those speakers... just a lil bit too much bite still.

Thank you for the advice though, trying it out now.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 27 2009, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Gary Moore uses Les Paul with Marshall tube stack so it would be a bit difficult to achieve that kind of tone with a Digitech processor, but you can try to adjust some Marshall preset on your Digitech to achieve similar tone, and make your tube amp clean sounding. Listen in parallel Gary's sound and sound of your rig and EQ the settings until you find something similar.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 28 2009, 12:56 AM
Instructor
Damn, I wanted to say few things but everything
has been said already above. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 29 2009, 09:33 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Yeah, seems we are too late Muris smile.gif The others already said it all, definitely go for a Marshall sound, without too much distortion, and you could also try the neck pickup.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 29 2009, 11:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi mate,

Gary is one of my favourite players, Im off to see him friday!

As stated he uses Les Paul and Marshall to get his sound (Although he also uses Telecasters, ES 335's and the odd strat). Your tremonti should be able to get quite close, set to the neck or middle position and knock back the tone a little, also try knocking the volume pot to 8 and crank the amp up which will round the tone off a little too (Joe Bonamassa does it, who are we to argue!).

The link below is a couple of uploads i did for the blues collab based an Garys playing (Or tried to!) i used pod farm plug in with Marshall JCM emulation, my Les Paul middle position and the drive cranked up!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=26749

Hope this helps mate,if you need anything further let me know!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:54 PM