2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Support The Software Developers
Staffy
Oct 21 2009, 10:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Since I'm a software developer myself, and it's sometimes hard to make a living out of it (even though I can get most software for free), I must mention to everybody to support the small developers. Big companies like Steinberg (who's mega-release Cubase 5 finally got cracked by Team Air a couple of days ago), doesn't suffer from beeing hacked like small developers like myself in the same context. And most of the shareware and small developers products is actually cheap!!!

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 21 2009, 10:13 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Yeh, I should really save up enough to buy a licence for Reaper.

What sort of software do you make?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Oct 21 2009, 10:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 21 2009, 05:09 PM) *
Since I'm a software developer myself, and it's sometimes hard to make a living out of it (even though I can get most software for free), I must mention to everybody to support the small developers. Big companies like Steinberg (who's mega-release Cubase 5 finally got cracked by Team Air a couple of days ago), doesn't suffer from beeing hacked like small developers like myself in the same context. And most of the shareware and small developers products is actually cheap!!!

//Staffay

I totally agree Staffay... I always supported small business and I invite everyone to do this as well.

Hope that your message is going to ring some bells.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 21 2009, 10:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 21 2009, 11:13 PM) *
Yeh, I should really save up enough to buy a licence for Reaper.

What sort of software do you make?

I mainly build systems in C++ and .NET for companies online, and also does a lot of web programming/databases, but one idea I will try to realize in my spare time is to build a guitar trainer software.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Oct 21 2009, 10:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 21 2009, 05:22 PM) *
but one idea I will try to realize in my spare time is to build a guitar trainer software.

//Staffay

I am going to buy it wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 21 2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor
I agree that we should all support developers and small business. One company that I am not going to support is Microsoft smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 21 2009, 10:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 21 2009, 11:29 PM) *
I agree that we should all support developers and small business. One company that I am not going to support is Microsoft smile.gif

I will agree to that, but the fact is that I can't - since 95% of the software market is leaning on Windows I'm stucked with Bill and his lousy system til the day I die.... laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 22 2009, 12:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 21 2009, 10:44 PM) *
I will agree to that, but the fact is that I can't - since 95% of the software market is leaning on Windows I'm stucked with Bill and his lousy system til the day I die.... laugh.gif

//Staffay

Today there are enough open source programs that you can use for anything you might need. My next computer will run on all those things.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Oct 22 2009, 06:19 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 22 2009, 12:49 AM) *
Today there are enough open source programs that you can use for anything you might need. My next computer will run on all those things.

I have to agree on that. Lately, Microsoft software is causing several problems.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 22 2009, 06:37 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 21 2009, 11:29 PM) *

Hehe, I agree smile.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 07:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 22 2009, 01:49 AM) *

I agree to that, but there are some drawbacks, though. I was devoloping on MAC computers from the very beginning back in the late 80's, but switched to Windows because of the lack of market. One must consider that most software is made for Windows, and in order to use the latest technology, its hard to use anything else. There is also a problem with the fact that if You are using another OS - no one else is not likely to use the same as You, eg. when things "crashes", You are stuck.... unless You are an experienced user. I've been running both Linux and MAC-OS's parallell with Windows for years, and found out that every OS has it's own problems - but as long as You know how to manage it, (which is not easy all times) it doesn't really matters what OS You use. But I really dislike the monopolistic behaviour of Mr.Gates and his associates as well as the ridiculous prices on his software, but switching to another OS for me is actually like robbing a already poor man.... since I make my living on writing software for Windows. tongue.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Oct 22 2009, 07:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Unfortunatly for small to medium sized businesses there is no real option other than Microsoft and Windows. Most business critical software is programmed for windows, its easier to find personell that knows Windows than other OS's. Bigger companies can have IT departments that can handle the extra work of getting a Linux environment to work for all users and smaller companies don't need big IT departments or Server environments so they can use whatever OS suits their business like for example Mac. For most businesses though Microsoft will be the only option for a couple years more.

Privatelly I use both Mac and PC, the PC for games and the mac for everything else. I have run Linux too but with both PC and Mac in the house I don't really need a Linux box.

EDIT: Forgot to stay on topic, hehe

I replied because I too used to develop software and the only market where I could sell non-microsoft software was the web. But the market for webbased applications was also very small because most customers wanted their environment integrated with the web and while it is very much possible to integrate an apache webserver programmed in php its much easier if you use the same enviroment as the rest of the enviroment, sharing code or services between different programs and so on...

This post has been edited by Koopid: Oct 22 2009, 07:39 AM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Oct 22 2009, 07:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 21 2009, 11:22 PM) *
but one idea I will try to realize in my spare time is to build a guitar trainer software.

Yeah, let me know it this happens. I'm interested in buying too. Especially if I can cooperate to do some translation in Italian, so I could use it with my students.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 07:46 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Koopid @ Oct 22 2009, 08:36 AM) *
Unfortunatly for small to medium sized businesses there is no real option other than Microsoft and Windows. Most business critical software is programmed for windows, its easier to find personell that knows Windows than other OS's.

I replied because I too used to develop software and the only market where I could sell non-microsoft software was the web. But the market for webbased applications was also very small because most customers wanted their environment integrated with the web and while it is very much possible to integrate an apache webserver programmed in php its much easier if you use the same enviroment as the rest of the enviroment, sharing code or services between different programs and so on...

You got it, that was exactly was I meant.

QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Oct 22 2009, 08:39 AM) *
Yeah, let me know it this happens. I'm interested in buying too. Especially if I can cooperate to do some translation in Italian, so I could use it with my students.

Of course, I may pester You all guy's here with the software, when I reach the testing stages... biggrin.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 22 2009, 08:17 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
The Mac planet is growing bigger and bigger everyday. Especially the mobile phone market. If you're able to switch to some of those new markets perhaps you'll be in better places.

But anyways, being a private developer is pretty hard. I am a web developer and now, the companies send my job to China, Vietnam and other Southern Asiatic countries. There, they are working for 6 to 12$ an hour without any hidden fee. Hopefully for us they are not reliable at all. Speaking about Indians, they are already too expensive because the demand is too high to their salaries increased.

But yeah, it's not a good time for us, for sure.

The best way to handle this is to switch to marketing and management part of the business, like project manager or leader and hopefully have some experiences and good qualifications. Or to create your own product and sell it successfully but that's another question. smile.gif

But saying that's all because of the pirates is wrong. It doesn't help for sure but the whole software market is like that even for the web services where there is no pirates. But people think that everything should be free, particularly on the web. Consequently, companies, even small ones, need to decrease their prices to have more chance to sell...

I hope the market will become more stable in the next few years and that people will stop dropping the prices to nothing and will learn that good quality development is a factor for a successful business.

By the way, there are a lot of websites offering "online" jobs or small jobs you can do at home. It's easy money but in the other hand you'll in direct concurrence with those guys in Bangalore, India and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. smile.gif

Hope you'll find your way ! wink.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 08:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Oct 22 2009, 09:17 AM) *
The Mac planet is growing bigger and bigger everyday. Especially the mobile phone market. If you're able to switch to some of those new markets perhaps you'll be in better places.

But anyways, being a private developer is pretty hard. I am a web developer and now, the companies send my job to China, Vietnam and other Southern Asiatic countries. There, they are working for 6 to 12$ an hour without any hidden fee. Hopefully for us they are not reliable at all. Speaking about Indians, they are already too expensive because the demand is too high to their salaries increased.

Yeah, You sure spotted some interesting things here. Im in the mobile market as well, but I dont think Apple will last, since the monopoly here is actually NOKIA/Ericsson who has the greatest market share and Symbian is the biggest OS so far. Bill Gates is also on the market here with Windows Mobile... Since the OS for iPhone is not a standard one, it will be hard for Apple to catch up with the others. Btw. is the OS's for mobile phones far too power-consuming and bad working at the moment to do anything good with...

I very well know the problem with russian/indian/vietnamese programmers "stealing" jobs from us, but its a free market, and I personally dont suffer from it. It may look like I have problems getting work in this thread, but in fact I haven't been out of work since I started programming professionally back in 1996 (when I quit the music business, because of THAT getting too bad....*lol* ) The main key to success in the computer business is as usual contacts and of course knowledge, eg. if You can do something that no one else can - You will never get out of work.

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Oct 22 2009, 09:37 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 22 2009, 09:45 AM) *
Yeah, You sure spotted some interesting things here. Im in the mobile market as well, but I dont think Apple will last, since the monopoly here is actually NOKIA/Ericsson who has the greatest market share and Symbian is the biggest OS so far. Bill Gates is also on the market here with Windows Mobile... Since the OS for iPhone is not a standard one, it will be hard for Apple to catch up with the others. Btw. is the OS's for mobile phones far too power-consuming and bad working at the moment to do anything good with...
//Staffay

I think you are making a big mistake if you count out Apple for the mobile market. Symbian is the biggest OS so far, windows mobile is also big but everyone I know that bought a windows mobile system and tried Apple are changing to iPhone, same with those that use Symbian. I would go the other way around and focus on the iPhone instead of symbian.

It's really weird, when I applied for a new phone they told me that the iPhone was a toy and I needed to buy an officephone so I got the Xperia X1. Now everyone is buying the Iphone instead because it is actually better as a pure businessphone than the phones that are made for pure business.

QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Oct 22 2009, 09:17 AM) *

The best way to handle this is to switch to marketing and management part of the business, like project manager or leader and hopefully have some experiences and good qualifications. Or to create your own product and sell it successfully but that's another question. smile.gif

But saying that's all because of the pirates is wrong. It doesn't help for sure but the whole software market is like that even for the web services where there is no pirates. But people think that everything should be free, particularly on the web. Consequently, companies, even small ones, need to decrease their prices to have more chance to sell...

I hope the market will become more stable in the next few years and that people will stop dropping the prices to nothing and will learn that good quality development is a factor for a successful business.

By the way, there are a lot of websites offering "online" jobs or small jobs you can do at home. It's easy money but in the other hand you'll in direct concurrence with those guys in Bangalore, India and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. smile.gif

Hope you'll find your way ! wink.gif

If you want to make it as a software developer today there are two approaches. Either the very cheap, very easy-to-use software that you can see "en-masse" to many people and make many of them (like simple mobile apps) and you don't have to give support for, or you focus on local functionality for your area where the rules are very specific so that generic software is out of the question.

An example might be selling water, there are probably a million rules that are different in every country on how you have to report quality and so on if you want to deliver water to households (I am talking through pipes, not through bottles) and a program that can meet those rules and understand the local rules with a lot of non-generic programming you can sell for a shitload of money to few customers.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 09:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Koopid @ Oct 22 2009, 10:30 AM) *
I think you are making a big mistake if you count out Apple for the mobile market. Symbian is the biggest OS so far, windows mobile is also big but everyone I know that bought a windows mobile system and tried Apple are changing to iPhone, same with those that use Symbian. I would go the other way around and focus on the iPhone instead of symbian.

It's really weird, when I applied for a new phone they told me that the iPhone was a toy and I needed to buy an officephone so I got the Xperia X1. Now everyone is buying the Iphone instead because it is actually better as a pure businessphone than the phones that are made for pure business.

Nah, Im not counting them out, but I dont believe that they ever will beat the market shares of Symbian/Nokia/Ericson. But that's not due to Apples products, rather the fact that Apple is pretty alone as a company and have no actually business associates. I have seen a lot of good Apple products over the years, but they have always been beaten in the end by some other company doin the same stuff much cheaper. Actually, all the so called "business phones" is bad, since their OS's are slow and consuming to much power. Some of my business partners carries two phones when they are travelling, since the effective talk-time on these phones is ridiculous low. Apple had their chance back in the eighties when the market for pc's started to grow, but they made a big mistake to not open up their OS for third party developers - thats why Microsoft has a monopoly today. It has been rumoured since then that "Now is Apple on the line, the company is growing and taking market shares", but the truth is that it hasn'nt happened yet and I dont think the iPhone will change this fact, even that it may be better than it's competitors. The problem lies in the structure of the company rather than it's products.

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 22 2009, 09:57 AM
GMC Founder
Since this discussion has evolved into an apple/microsoft discussion:

If you have seen what an iphone can do (multitrack pocket recording, music sequencing etc) and what you get in terms of quality software/usability vs price with apple's Mac Book Pro series...then I think most people will realise that Good is finally about to triumph over Evil! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 22 2009, 10:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 22 2009, 09:57 AM) *
Since this discussion has evolved into an apple/microsoft discussion:

If you have seen what an iphone can do (multitrack pocket recording, music sequencing etc) and what you get in terms of quality software/usability vs price with apple's Mac Book Pro series...then I think most people will realise that Good is finally about to triumph over Evil! smile.gif

Definitely agree.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:42 PM