Question On Guitar Frequency And Tuning, What exactly is a "tuning frequency" on my Pocket Pod, and h
Ayen
Jul 25 2007, 05:25 AM
GMC:er
Hi, first off, let me introduce myself.

My name is Larry, and I've been playing guitar for about a year next week. My first guitar was a Fender Squire, one of those cheaper guitars right out of the box. My second and current guitar is an Ibanez RG4. I came across FreeLicks.com during a search on google, and was hooked. I learned every solo I could, and they've made me a much better guitarist in the end. I came across GuitarMasterClass.com, but because I am too young to have a credit card/paypal account, I figured I would never be able to fully learn the solos on this site. Yesterday was my birthday, and as a gift my dad got me a 3 month subscription to this site. I've learned a few solos and things and am completely amazed. I compared a video of me playing from my second week, to a more recent video from last month, after finding FreeLicks, and the I've progressed so much better than I would've without this site. I know little to nothing about scales, the little being their existence, but I hope that I can learn all about them and much more on this site.

I bought a PocketPod for Marcus's "Winding Roads" solo alone, to have the same sound he did, because that is the exact kind of music I want to get into. The solo itself is amazing (not to imply that the other solos, riffs and licks by Kris and everyone else arent amazing as well).

Now, on to the question tongue.gif .

I want to tune my guitar down half a step, but don't know how. When i use the built-in tuner in the Pocket Pod, it says something about the "Frequency". What is this, and will this help me tune down a step?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ayen: Jul 25 2007, 05:26 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jul 25 2007, 06:17 AM
Welcome Ayen! More than likely, this GMC subscription will probably turn out to be one of your best birthday gifts ever! I've played guitar for about 2 years prior to my GMC experience, and I feel that the GMC video lessons and Andrew's theory lessons (Which I highly recommend you check out when you're just surfing the net) has given me more in 2 months than my 2 years!

About your pocket pod and tuning...
I don't have a POCKET pod, however I do have the PODXT live. When I go into tuning mode, it usually reads out the note being played, and gives me the needle point to finely tune to the exact frequency.
What you need to do to play Marcus' stuff is drop every string on your guitar from standard, to a flat standard if you will! In other words, tune half a note...

For example:
E
A
D
G
B
E

to...
Eb
Ab
Db
Gb
Bb
Eb

now I don't know if the pocket pod tells you the note, but if it does, look for the note Eb, then get the "frequency" of the pitch right in the middle. This gives you a perfectly tuned Eb.

Well explaining that and rereading it kinda confused myself laugh.gif , sorry if that wasn't clear.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
Ayen
Jul 25 2007, 11:44 PM
I think I understand what you mean, but theres one thing:

It shows the Tuning Frequency as 443 before I even begin tuning, what does that mean exactly?

Ah hah! I've just tuned every string the way I need to for his stuff. I feel as if I've accomplished something.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 25 2007, 11:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Ayen @ Jul 25 2007, 06:44 PM) *
I think I understand what you mean, but theres one thing:
It shows the Tuning Frequency as 443 before I even begin tuning, what does that mean exactly?
Ah hah! I've just tuned every string the way I need to for his stuff. I feel as if I've accomplished something.

443 is the number that sets the base for the tuning. For regular tuning, that should be 440 not 443 (440 hz is the frequency of an A note, and is called concert pitch). So, set it to 440 and you should be ok, at 443, all of your strings will be slightly sharp.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 26 2007, 12:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 26 2007, 12:57 AM) *
443 is the number that sets the base for the tuning. For regular tuning, that should be 440 not 443 (440 hz is the frequency of an A note, and is called concert pitch). So, set it to 440 and you should be ok, at 443, all of your strings will be slightly sharp.

Wow,check out this coincidence!!
Today, my band had rehearsal with Sarajevo Philharmonic Orchestra and there was almost a fight about HZ.
Of course,standard is 440 but guys from Orchestra wanted 442.
Now,keyboard has setup to standard and bigger problem is that my keyboard player got this Korg Oasis few days ago,so he's not that much into programing of the unit etc.
So after some hard words,we said ok,we'll go on 442 as well,which was a lie. cool.gif
We played,band on 440,Orchestra on 442,everything fine.
Point is,that's really small difference if you're playing with instruments like violin etc.
They are always on the edge of tune. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by muris: Jul 26 2007, 12:27 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2007, 12:30 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (muris @ Jul 25 2007, 07:27 PM) *
Today, my band had rehearsal with Sarajevo Philharmonic Orchestra and there was almost a fight about HZ.

Heh, what a cool comment to casually toss into a post laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 26 2007, 12:35 AM
Instructor
Yeah,it happens!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 26 2007, 12:53 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Jul 25 2007, 06:35 PM) *
Yeah,it happens!! laugh.gif

thats alright, i think people should let others know if they are doing something like that.

regarding the 442, two explanations that seem reasonable.

1) They were jerking with you. i highly expect that behind the smiles, there is some ego going on with violin guys, dealing with electric guitars and such.
2) obsessive compulsive (right, considering how far off intervals in equal temperament are anyway, like .5% more of less means squat anyway.)

lying in this case was the honest response. as the whole thing was nonsense anyway, adding more nonsense to the mix just was consistent.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 26 2007, 01:44 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Think Stratman has It btw.

just on tuning i'd been under the impression that in orchestras/big band and so on the guitar tuned to the piano (which was anywhere between 435-445 for A). I'm so old that synths were largely never in tune anyway unless you waited an hour for them to stablise and then they blew a component anyway and stopped working (VCS 15/Moogs/Prophets?Synclavier anyone huh.gif ) I was always told the (real) strings could retune easily but the piano... Anyway thats what I used to have to do or was I sold a pup dry.gif ? Never even stopped to think about brass and so on. (Ah well the rubbish I believed was true back then...)

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:13 PM