2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Who Created The Power Metal Style?
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor
Hey metalheads! I wanted to know if you know which band/bands created the power metal style. I mean the starters of the style. I think that it was Helloween but I'm not sure.

Who knows about it? I think that Marcus Siepen knows its perfect. (Blind Guardian was one of the startes too I think..)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 24 2008, 05:19 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I first off must say that the early power metal bands were mostly influenced by Priest, Maiden and Dio, Which is where the guitar styles (Note the dual solos and harmonies in Helloweens first releases) and vocalist styles come from. The original power metal band I would say is Helloween and Fates Warning, and even Dio himself, Although Fates Warning is a lot more progy, they still got the power metal in them and in turn have influenced many to come after them. Helloween released there debut in '85, Which is one of the earliest released Power Metal records, and Dio's Holy Diver was released in '83 if I remember correctly (maybe 84, but im sure its 83) and that album really started the Power Metal movement I think. Dio has some Fantasy and Mythological themes in his lyrics that influenced bands like Helloween and such, And the sound was very melodic and the use of keyboards is another thing in common with Power Metal. Another is Grave Digger, who i think released an album in the early 80s as well, Dont know too much about them.

Other bands that showed up early on are like you said, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Who are without a doubt, MAJOR influences in the genre and stand up as some of the best there is to offer musically and lyrically.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
May 24 2008, 05:21 PM
Learning Roadie
I'd probably say Dio too, he was one of the first to really bring the theme to heavy metal to my knowledge.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
May 24 2008, 05:22 PM
GMC:er
I think Al Gore created it.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
May 24 2008, 05:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I just skimmed through this article and thought it might anwser your question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_metal

it tells alot to me atleast about power metal.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
superize
May 24 2008, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
For what i undertand helloween influensed many of the earlier power metal band but it was Rhapsody who set the tone for how power metal bands sound today

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 24 2008, 05:39 PM
It wasn't Helloween I'm afraid to say. Like Uncreator said it all came from Judas Priest and Maiden and other NWOBHM bands. Dio was hugley influential in the themes within power metal but the first power metal band was probably Stratovarius who formed in 1982. Two years before Helloween.

But it was down to Helloween and Stratovarius really.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
skennington
May 24 2008, 05:39 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
A few bands that come to mind as of the late 80's early 90's: Metal Church, Holy Dragons,Megadeth,Anthrax,Dark Angel and Exodus.

I have to say that IMO, Metallica was the leader if this Genre.

EDIT: The History of Heavy Metal

In the mid-'80s thru the early 90's, speed metal and thrash became the most popular form of heavy metal in the American underground. Crossing the new wave of British heavy metal with hardcore punk, speed metal was extremely fast and more technically demanding. Tthe bands played fast, but their attack was precise and clean. In that sense, speed metal remained true to its metal roots. But what it borrowed from hardcore; the insanely fast tempos and a defiant, do-it-yourself attitude was just as important, and sometimes it was even more important. It gave the band not only a unique musical approach but also an attractive "anti-image" for legions fans, including myslef. Of course, Metallica became the leaders of the genre until their recent style changes.

This post has been edited by skennington: May 24 2008, 05:42 PM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 24 2008, 05:41 PM
QUOTE (skennington @ May 24 2008, 05:39 PM) *
A few bands that come to mind as of the late 80's early 90's: Metal Church, Holy Dragons,Megadeth,Anthrax,Dark Angel and Exodus.

I have to say that IMO, Metallica was the leader if this Genre.

Metallica are thrash metal. Nothing like power metal. Power metal sings about subjects within fantasy.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 24 2008, 05:41 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 24 2008, 08:39 AM) *
It wasn't Helloween I'm afraid to say. Like Uncreator said it all came from Judas Priest and Maiden and other NWOBHM bands. Dio was hugley influential in the themes within power metal but the first power metal band was probably Stratovarius who formed in 1982. Two years before Helloween.

But it was down to Helloween and Stratovarius really.

Yeah, Id say its down to Stratovarius and Helloween. Helloween released a record first, But Stratovarius formed first. Depends on how you wanna take it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2008, 05:42 PM
Instructor
Nice article Trey!

yes, I know that Helloween started as an accelerated version of Maiden and Judas. Even their first albums seams to have some early trash influences. I would add Dio with Maiden and Judas as the main influences but I think that it still wasn't power metal.

About Rhapsody... I think that they made an excelent and perfecto mix of Helloween, Blind Guardian, Yngwie Malmsteen and Stratovarius. And then they had thounsands of copies. Thier first album was realised in 1997... a lot of things happened in Power Metal from 1985 to 1997.

Grave Digger alwas reminded me to Rage.. Rage is also one of the first school power metal band.. aren't they?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 24 2008, 05:43 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 24 2008, 05:41 PM) *
Yeah, Id say its down to Stratovarius and Helloween. Helloween released a record first, But Stratovarius formed first. Depends on how you wanna take it.

I'd say mix those 2 bands together and you get the incredibly quick melodic passages, themes of fantasy and 16th note drums you expect in power metal. It is definitely down to them twi and I think most would agree.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2008, 06:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 24 2008, 01:43 PM) *
I'd say mix those 2 bands together and you get the incredibly quick melodic passages, themes of fantasy and 16th note drums you expect in power metal. It is definitely down to them twi and I think most would agree.

yeah, their combination are the roots of the style. Then Blind Guardian added the epic influences, didn't they?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 24 2008, 07:14 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 24 2008, 06:24 PM) *
yeah, their combination are the roots of the style. Then Blind Guardian added the epic influences, didn't they?

I can't remember when Blind Guardian formed. Maybe 85/86? So yeah I guess they were involved with creating more of the epic style but of course you couldn't say Helloween and Stratovarius didn't have epic songs before them. It all came from Dio though really and his Epic vocal style that was then created into longer songs. Blind Guardian are a crucial band from the 80's Power Metal style and definitely had a lot to add to the genre.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 24 2008, 08:13 PM
Helloween had their epic tunes, check out the song "Halloween" its 14 minutes and has like 20 solos laugh.gif

Anyway, Concerning when the "epic" came in, I think that would be with Blind Guardian introducing it, But I think when it comes to the big, giant orchestras and orchestration we see today, Hats Off to Alex Staropoli of Rhapsody Of Fire for that.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 24 2008, 08:15 PM
Instructor
Maiden & Judas Priest

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 24 2008, 08:16 PM
Why am I trying to figure out some funny way to connecting epic when it comes to power metal with some epic loot from world of warcraft? And I'm failing, damn.

Anyways, I have no idea about anything about power metal, so I'll settle for my little comment about epic and how I fail to come up with a funny joke.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
May 24 2008, 08:36 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 24 2008, 11:41 AM) *
Metallica are thrash metal. Nothing like power metal. Power metal sings about subjects within fantasy.

I see. So would Power metal be considered in the same sense as Progressive? Trying to understand the difference here.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2008, 10:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (skennington @ May 24 2008, 04:36 PM) *
I see. So would Power metal be considered in the same sense as Progressive? Trying to understand the difference here.

The best way to hear the difference would be listen to the bands...

Check these links:

Progressive: Dream Theater
Power Metal: Helloween

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
May 24 2008, 10:33 PM
Instructor
wow, nice topics a lot of information here smile.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:14 PM