Shaving The Neck
sigma7
May 17 2008, 03:42 PM
GMC:er
hey gmc'ers, I was wonder if it is possible to shave a neck down to a thinner size? smile.gif Like, I have a Fender Mexican Strat 60th ann. but I want the neck to be the size of a wizard. Is it possible without screwing the guitar up?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
at lights end
May 17 2008, 03:47 PM
should be.
there's a possibility that you might have to adjust the truss rod a bit, depends how much you shave off i suppose.
im no professional though, so don't just take my word for it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by at lights end: May 17 2008, 03:48 PM

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
JVM
May 17 2008, 04:20 PM
Learning Roadie
I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea, to do so precisely and evenly all over the neck would be a very hard task I would think, if you wanted it done by a professional (which would probably be a good idea) I'm imagining a price that would make it more economic to just buy a new guitar or neck. But then again, I'm no professional either.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 17 2008, 09:15 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also think that getting a new neck would be the better, faster, safer and most likely cheaper option.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
buttmonk
May 17 2008, 09:32 PM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ May 17 2008, 05:42 PM) *
hey gmc'ers, I was wonder if it is possible to shave a neck down to a thinner size? smile.gif Like, I have a Fender Mexican Strat 60th ann. but I want the neck to be the size of a wizard. Is it possible without screwing the guitar up?

Wouldn't recommend it. Taking a bit off would likely be OK, but going down to wizard type thicknesses would be dangerous, I think they are pretty much on the limit and necks that thin often have graphite reinforcing rods since the wood itself is not rigid enough. Also, turning a fat neck into a thin neck means that the truss rod will no longer be in the center of the neck and I am sure you will throw off the structural balance. Also, you really won't know how close you are to the truss rod cavity until it is too late.

If its a strat then I guess it has a bolt on neck and you can get a perfect fitting replacement to your specs and it will be damn simple to fit. Try www.warmoth.com or www.usacustomguitars.com.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 17 2008, 09:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ May 17 2008, 05:15 PM) *
I also think that getting a new neck would be the better, faster, safer and most likely cheaper option.

+1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 17 2008, 10:08 PM
Instructor
agree with Marcus

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 17 2008, 10:31 PM
Switch necks, man. Unless you have a friend who is an expert luthier, you'd be better off money-wise and workmanship-wise, by buying a new neck. This also preserves the integrity of your original parts. You may want to sell it some day...

This post has been edited by FrankW: May 17 2008, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 17 2008, 11:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Definitely look for a replacement neck..Much better option wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
May 17 2008, 11:20 PM
I must go against the grain here.
Ive done it twice and never had a problem.
Wizard thickness.......probably not.
Thinner ...sure.
I did it with a rasp and sandpaper..both turned out great...one ended up scalloped as well.
I took alot of "meat" out of a warmoth boat neck. Its straight as an arrow.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2008, 12:53 PM
Instructor
If you done before some wood sandin' I say why not. smile.gif You can do it for the fun of it, if you don't have anything smarter to do. Later on you can buy another neck if you destroy that one. Be sure not to take of too much.

I also must note that replacing the neck would be a lot easier option. No work there. With the sanding be prepared to do some quality thorough job, buying the right sandpaper, mesauring, resanding etc.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
seagull
May 18 2008, 07:11 PM
LOL

When I read the title I was like "Uhm, I use Gilette Mach 3..." laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
May 20 2008, 03:58 PM
I agree with Ivan, if you have no use for your old neck, try it. Do a good job, and plan on buying a new neck as a plan B.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 20 2008, 04:29 PM

I would not do this.

But for information purposes, Jimmy Page had his neck shaved on his 60 LP. The 60 les paul was a slim taper to start with, that was the first year of that "60's style" neck. Then again, that guitar would be worth a lot less because of that, were it not Jimmy Page's guitar.

But I think we can assume, Jimmy had the money to pay for the best advice, and most skilled people to work on his guitars.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 20 2008, 05:03 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Somehow this reminded me now on some work that I did on my very first electric guitar... It was a black and white Flying V, this Michael Schenker model, and for some reason I wanted it to be completely white back then. So I got a can of spray paint, took off the strings, covered the pickups and about 10 minutes later I had a completely white guitar... and about another week later I sold it rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
black and white
May 20 2008, 07:23 PM
Why shave the neck.......it only grows backs tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:36 PM