Gibson Robot Les Paul Review
McGoo
Jan 27 2008, 08:19 PM
GMC:er
Wiki link

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 31 2008, 09:34 AM

--------------------
My current gear;
Gibson Robot Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster '54 Re-issue
Fender Telecaster
Samick Greg Bennett Torino TR3
Takamine EG560C Electric/acoustic
Ovation CSE2258TY Celebrity Double Neck 12/6 String Electric/acoustic
Encore Bass and Kustom KBA10 amplifier
Pod XT Live
Zoom 504II Acoustic
BOSS BR-600 Digital Recorder
Behringer Ultra Tone K900FX 90w Keyboard Amp

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
erik
Jan 27 2008, 08:38 PM
Cool! This guitar looks great! I haven't tried to play on it, but i tested the auto tune function and it is amazing! Tunes really fast and acurately

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 27 2008, 08:43 PM
I was going to play one at Guitar Center the day they came out, but some worker chewed me out because it was already boughten so I was bummed.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 27 2008, 08:56 PM
I would buy it only for the colour smile.gif

But seriously, I got to play with it at a guitar shop and it's great, got all the qualities of a Les Paul plus the tunning system, I hope it will be a bit cheaper in the future, or that I'll get a bit reacher laugh.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 27 2008, 09:41 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 27 2008, 11:56 AM) *

But seriously, I got to play with it at a guitar shop and it's great, got all the qualities of a Les Paul plus the tunning system, I hope it will be a bit cheaper in the future, or that I'll get a bit reacher laugh.gif

I like the colour too, I think its rather sexy. tongue.gif

Dont like the price though and I think the whole tuning thing wouldnt work with me, unless it automatically did ALL the drop tunings laugh.gif

Good review! smile.gif

Quick question: 200 tunings doesnt seem like a lot, what do you have to do to change the battery? how simple is the process ?

This post has been edited by Owen: Jan 27 2008, 09:42 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 27 2008, 09:54 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Awesome guitar, plus I bet it will become a sought after item when years go by!

I hope I can try one someday when they arrive to the local stores.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
McGoo
Jan 27 2008, 09:56 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Jan 27 2008, 08:41 PM) *
I like the colour too, I think its rather sexy. tongue.gif

Dont like the price though and I think the whole tuning thing wouldnt work with me, unless it automatically did ALL the drop tunings laugh.gif

Good review! smile.gif

Quick question: 200 tunings doesnt seem like a lot, what do you have to do to change the battery? how simple is the process ?

In the fourth picture down inside the case you can just about see the charger, it has the blue guitar cable connected to it. Plug the charger into a socket and plug a standard guitar cable into the other end and into the guitar. They do say the smaller the guitar cable the quicker it will charge so I used a 12 inch patch cable. A full charge takes about 90 minutes. I charged it fully on Wednesday when I got it and haven't charged it since, and I've played it for quite a few hours since then biggrin.gif . It tells you how much charge is left in the battery each time you tune.
By the way it can does standard 440 tuning or open A, G, drop D, E, Bflat tunings and any other specific tuning you want it to. You just set the pitch that you want a specific string to be at and it will tune the rest of the strings to that pitch.

--------------------
My current gear;
Gibson Robot Les Paul
Fender Telecaster
Pod XT Live
Zoom 504II Acoustic

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 27 2008, 10:16 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks for this amazing review !! This guitar and story behind it sounds awesome!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 27 2008, 10:23 PM
great review smile.gif i too like the idea and colour.. maybe i cud buy the tuning system for my schecters smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Joey
Jan 27 2008, 10:31 PM
yeah i'd be really disappointed if it only did those tunings cus i only use ..2 of them lol.. but yeah thats really useful that you can do drop C, or half step, or full step down. cus those are a pain in the ass lol but drop d? id think anyone thats serious enough to shell out the cash for the guitar could do drop d by ear tongue.gif

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 27 2008, 10:35 PM
Tuning doesn't bother me that much on a solid bridge, but on a floating bridge I want to shoot myself.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2008, 11:04 PM
Instructor
This guitar is awesome man, thanks for sharing with us. Your choice of guitar is awesome too man. My compliments. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 30 2008, 10:47 AM
Instructor
Great review, thanks smile.gif

and great gear you have there biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 30 2008, 01:07 PM
If the guitar goes down well then it will be implemented on more guitars. I just pray they don't put it on Parker guitars or Caparison guitars as that would make me have to switch guitar companies as I really am not this lazy and to have to charge a guitar is really annoying especially with batteries degrading after every charge. After every charge they never charge to a full amount but to a tiny bit less and eventually you'll find yourself charging more and more. Apart from the fact I hate Les Paul guitars, the colour and the charging tuning system there isn't much more for me to say. I like the case tongue.gif.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
McGoo
Feb 4 2008, 11:06 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 30 2008, 12:07 PM) *
If the guitar goes down well then it will be implemented on more guitars. I just pray they don't put it on Parker guitars or Caparison guitars as that would make me have to switch guitar companies as I really am not this lazy and to have to charge a guitar is really annoying especially with batteries degrading after every charge. After every charge they never charge to a full amount but to a tiny bit less and eventually you'll find yourself charging more and more. Apart from the fact I hate Les Paul guitars, the colour and the charging tuning system there isn't much more for me to say. I like the case tongue.gif.

Like I said some people just won't like it.
"To each their own" as they say wink.gif
It's not really about being lazy, it's about practicality too. I no longer need to have different guitars tuned to different tunings to play various songs, or even worse, have to keep tuning the same guitar to the different tunings. I can now play the same guitar for all tunings, including those which I have set the guitar to remember.
You are right about batteries degrading over time though. At some stage in the future it will not hold a full charge and will need to be replaced. Not much trouble though to replace the battery every few years.
I have to say I used to agree with you about Les Pauls, I never did like them very much. My friend has a superb collection of them and I only ever really liked his black 70's custom, but that is mainly because the action on that particular guitar is incredible. They are very heavy. To be honest I didn't like the colour of this guitar very much to begin with either, but I'm getting used to it now blink.gif
C'est la vie

--------------------
My current gear;
Gibson Robot Les Paul
Fender Telecaster
Pod XT Live
Zoom 504II Acoustic

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 4 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm sure they will be made on other guitars. Very risky picking up a new technology from the start. You can either be picking up a future collective item or a one off thing that improves heavily over time.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 4 2008, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 27 2008, 01:56 PM) *

I believe it is chambered. should sound a bit different than most les pauls. the les paul supreme is also chambered.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 4 2008, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (McGoo @ Feb 4 2008, 04:06 AM) *
I have to say I used to agree with you about Les Pauls, I never did like them very much. My friend has a superb collection of them and I only ever really liked his black 70's custom, but that is mainly because the action on that particular guitar is incredible. They are very heavy. To be honest I didn't like the colour of this guitar very much to begin with either, but I'm getting used to it now blink.gif
C'est la vie

I like the color. and i have three wood grain les pauls. it makes a statement, but is not really gaudy, not overdone.

i like the 490R/498T pickup combo. i have one like that, and burstbuckers on the other two. I like them both. Gibson makes good pickups. They don't have that high harmonic band emphasis (the 498T has more of it than the Burstbuckers), but I feel that when pickups emphasize that so much, something else is lost. In any case, you can get great harmonics with that 498T

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 4 2008, 08:17 PM

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 5 2008, 12:29 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Feb 4 2008, 08:00 PM) *
I believe it is chambered. should sound a bit different than most les pauls. the les paul supreme is also chambered.

So is the Les Paul Standard Bantam.....Custom Shop. try to find one of those (other than at my house).

This post has been edited by USAMAN: Feb 5 2008, 12:30 AM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 5 2008, 03:44 PM
Nice, interesting review. smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:17 PM