Whole Tone, Dorian Flat 2 Minor?, what scales?
thefireball
Jan 21 2014, 09:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey. smile.gif

I am starting on writing this progressive song in 5/4. I have two examples here to illustrate.

Ex 1 is the original. The key is Dm. I think I am using the Whole Tone at the end, but it seems to be in D#m. I looked at the Dorian Flat 2 Minor Mode and it seems to be the right notes, but the root doesn't seem to fit. I don't know what to play at the end. I want that kind of sound, just not sure what scale I am using.

Ex 2 is actually seeming to be closer to the Whole Tone while staying in the key of Dm, but it doesn't retain the tension. I don't want it to resolve yet, just like I had in Ex 1; however, I also don't want to switch from D to D#, and then D again a few bars later. So which example is "right," or are either of them right? I want tension at the end and I will finish the "thought" continuing on.

Also, what scale am I using in the beginning?

Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  01_21_14_ex1.mp3 ( 668.37K ) Number of downloads: 245
Attached File  01_21_14_ex2.mp3 ( 668.37K ) Number of downloads: 197

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 21 2014, 09:22 PM
Theory Instructor
Hey

Cool licks. The first bit is in G Harmonic Minor, so like a D7b9b13 chord, and then the last part is a G Whole Tone Scale so you could see that as A7#5, which is the V7#5 of D7. So you're basically moving between two chords/scales D7 and A7 with some alterations thrown in for tensions.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 21 2014, 10:00 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jan 21 2014, 02:22 PM) *
Hey

Cool licks. The first bit is in G Harmonic Minor, so like a D7b9b13 chord, and then the last part is a G Whole Tone Scale so you could see that as A7#5, which is the V7#5 of D7. So you're basically moving between two chords/scales D7 and A7 with some alterations thrown in for tensions.

Ok you'll have to forgive my ignorance. biggrin.gif I am rusty on theory and still learning. When you say it's in G Harmonic Minor, do you mean that is the key or ...? If I am in the key of D, can you help me understand why you say in G? Also what is V as in V7#5? Does the Ex 1 make sense musically? yeah..i have a lot to learn. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Aaron A
Jan 21 2014, 10:25 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 21 2014, 10:00 PM) *
Ok you'll have to forgive my ignorance. biggrin.gif I am rusty on theory and still learning. When you say it's in G Harmonic Minor, do you mean that is the key or ...? If I am in the key of D, can you help me understand why you say in G? Also what is V as in V7#5? Does the Ex 1 make sense musically? yeah..i have a lot to learn. wink.gif

You are playing G Harmonic Minor using D as the root. This implies the 5th mode of Harmonic Minor which is D Phrygian Dominant which gives your the chord tones for a D13(b9) chord.

When you see roman numerals in reference to music we are always talking about chord functionality. V or V7#5 for that matter means that a chord is acting as the 5th chord from a given root note, this case being D. A is the 5 note up any given D scale making any chord built off that note a V chord in relation to D.

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 21 2014, 10:45 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 21 2014, 09:00 PM) *

Hey

Yeah the lick comes from the G Harmonic Minor Scale with D as the root of the chord you are on in that moment. So it's a mode of G HM. The V7 means that A7#5 is acting as the dominant chord of the D7 you played in the first half of the lick. It's some theory to get your head around, but at the end of the day if it sounds good then the theory is probably correct. If it sounds bad or out of place then you might need to go back and check things a bit.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:53 PM