> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Phill66's Beginner Book
Phil66
Aug 22 2014, 08:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks, it would be good to go to the next, I can still work on this as a warm up each time I practice. That guitar has Paf Pro pickups on it which i find a little muddy and a Schaller floating trem, it is a total ball ache to tune, I always have to tune the bass E sharp, then the A a little less sharp and so on so that when I have got the high E right the others are right. I haven't played it for a long long time and some of the strings were ever so slightly flat but still showing the correct note on the digital tuner, just showing slightly flat. I just couldn't get them all bang on, I'll get it checked out at my friends guitar shop, he sells lovely Carvin guitars £££££££.

I've put the video on REC, see what everyone says.

Cheers Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2014, 10:59 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif Taking your guitar to a luthier, is pretty much the best thing out there. I experienced this today, with my baritone smile.gif I took it to a new gun in town, an old friend who became a very respected luthier in Bucharest - he is young, always striving to develop and doing an amazingly elaborate job. My baritone had the following issues:

- dried out ebony fretboard
- needed fret leveling
- neck issues
- intonation issues
- nut slots too small

Well, needless to say, he did an AMAZING job and my axe is something else! Totally smile.gif I recommend a visit to your luthier and I also recommend you to have a good communication with him so that he may know how to help out best wink.gif

For the next assignment, I would like to suggest this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Staccato-Power-Chords/

It'll be a good encounter with riffage, having the following elements:

- clean power chord separation
- rhythmic development

What do you think? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 22 2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks Cosmin,

I'll get onto that tonight.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2014, 11:06 AM
Instructor
Perfect! Godspeed, mate wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 22 2014, 01:23 PM
Hello Cosmin,

I've been pondering rolleyes.gif I ALWAYS tune up before I play. Does the guitar sound slightly sharp or slightly flat to you?

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 22 2014, 08:51 PM
Ok, got the first six bars of Ben's lesson under my fingers (loosely), I know I'm going to struggle when it comes to the offbeat strumming but I'm away from tomorrow until Monday so no practice sad.gif

I still have to get Bears C major scale lesson sorted out too. I said to myself "I'm going to spend ten minutes on Bears open chord lesson to get that mastered, then half of my remaining time on the C major lesson and half on my new lesson" but I went straight into Ben's lesson and an hour had gone before I knew it rolleyes.gif

I'll try to get more structure when I get back.

Is there a nice simple song where the melody uses the C Major scale that we could work on as a side line so I have something to play to my wife that she will recognise?

Thanks for your help Cosmin.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 22 2014, 09:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 23 2014, 07:43 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

I say do it like this: begin with Ben's new lesson and spend 30 minutes on it and then 10 minutes on Bear's chords and 10-15 on the C major - by the way, how is that one faring? Almost forgot about it and I'd be curious to see it recorded as well wink.gif

A song you can learn would be 'Let it be' from The Beatles - it's a chord based one, in C major wink.gif I bet you know, it right? If you like it you can start looking into the chord progression and I would be VERY curious to see recordings biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 23 2014, 07:44 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 23 2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks Cosmin,
The Bear C scale thing isn't coming along really as I've been concentrating on the open cos thing.
Regarding Let It Be I was meaning more playing the melody that is being sung rather than the chords. I'll see if I can find something in the lessons when I get home on Monday.
Cheers buddy
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 24 2014, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Uh oh, then let's rework things smile.gif

Focus on the C major thing and then, if you wish to see the scale at work, focus on figuring out the vocal lines in 'Let it be' and record the guitar played vocal line over the original to see how you are faring with:

- note length
- dynamics - how hard or soft do you hit the notes
- bends, slides and vibrato - try to mimic the vocal line as best as possible

So, let's first get rid of the C major lesson - please tell me if you encounter any difficulties with this one, ok?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 24 2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks Cosmin I'll give it a go but my ear ain't too good rolleyes.gif
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 24 2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks Cosmin I'll give it a go but my ear ain't too good rolleyes.gif
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 25 2014, 11:14 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - there's a beginning for EVERYTHING smile.gif I mean, you have to start somewhere with ear training too - sorting out vocal lines is pretty much the most engaging and fun/easygoing way to do it smile.gif Sorting out chords and solos is much more difficult, so that's why it'll come up a little bit later, when your ears are already accustomed to sorting out single note lines, such as vocal lines smile.gif

Please let me know how things are going with each task, ok?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2014, 10:24 AM
Hello Cosmin,

Struggling with Let It Be, I can't be completely tone deaf as I always know when I've hit a wrong note when playing Bear's C major melody even if it's only one fret BUT I'm struggling to get the first notes. Maybe it's because it's a voice and not a guitar I'm listening to? I'll plug away.
I have a big issue and it's destroying me. I tune my guitar using a Boss tuner before EVERY recording but I'm always told my guitar is out of tune when I post to REC. I tune the open strings and check at the twelfth fret and it's always showing correct on the tuner so it must be me. If the fretted notes sound sharp to your ears Cosmin then maybe I am fretting too hard.
Be nice read your thoughts on this as I am pulling my hair out mad.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 1 2014, 12:06 PM
Instructor
Hey Phill!

No worries mate wink.gif Just shoot a recording of that vocal line over the original vocal recording and then you can analyze it and you will see if there's something wrong - remember - the recording is your mirror wink.gif Use it accordingly and it will always help you! Have you recorded the piece in this way so far? If not, I am inviting you to try it and let me know how it feels.

In respect to the tuning issue, as I have already written in the REC zone, there are two possible causes:

- the guitar needs to be set up by a luthier
- you are fretting too hard

Both are possibilities, so please try to record another take in which you are focusing on fretting lighter and place it here so that we may discuss it wink.gif Easy does it and we'll take care of every detail, ok?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2014, 12:56 PM
Shoot a recording over the vocal line????? tongue.gif I can't even decide on the first note rolleyes.gif
Now I also have finger pressure to address rolleyes.gif I need more hours in the day biggrin.gif
Cheers
Phil cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2014, 08:14 PM
One thing after another mad.gif

I've been trying for the last hour to make a video of the tuning/finger pressure test but for some reason Windows Live Movie Maker is rejecting the sound file, I have done nothing any different to any of my other videos. The way it's going I'll just have to use the camera's built in microphones mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif It's saying "The file might be corrupted or in a format that Movie Maker doesn't recognise" it's a .WAV file like all of the others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clear one hurdle up jumps another sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I've even tried just using a picture instead of true video and attaching the sound file to that but it just isn't happenning unsure.gif

I think maybe the PC will be going through the window in a minute, more practise lost mad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2014, 09:02 PM
Ok, it just won't work for some reason so I've done one straight from the camera. I didn't point it at me but towards the amp to try to get better sound

I play the open strings, then the harmonics on the 12th fret, the 1st twelve notes of the C major thing and then the chords from the open chord lesson.

Let me know what you think, you may sense the tension from struggling to sort a proper video out for an hour and a half and losing all that precious practise mad.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2014, 10:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2014, 11:56 AM) *
Shoot a recording over the vocal line????? tongue.gif I can't even decide on the first note rolleyes.gif
Now I also have finger pressure to address rolleyes.gif I need more hours in the day biggrin.gif
Cheers
Phil cool.gif

Hey Phil - yeah, shoot a video with the vocal line - if you will make mistakes it's only natural - it's the first time you are doing this, right? But if you will wait for it to be perfect, you will most likely send me a video in a few months and we don't want that, right again? biggrin.gif The idea is to make mistakes so that I may tell you how to correct them biggrin.gif

I understand you, oh yes I do biggrin.gif Technology seems to be hindering more than helping us at times smile.gif

Just take a minute to cool down and don't throw the PC away as you might just need it afterwards laugh.gif I have nothing against you sending me vids that have the sound from the camera, while we discuss things in here - you can only work with separately recorded sound in the REC zone as a rule, but while we debate various tasks in here, I have nothing against the cam recorded sound. When we'll discuss tone, that will be another matter smile.gif Deal?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2014, 07:14 PM) *
One thing after another mad.gif

I've been trying for the last hour to make a video of the tuning/finger pressure test but for some reason Windows Live Movie Maker is rejecting the sound file, I have done nothing any different to any of my other videos. The way it's going I'll just have to use the camera's built in microphones mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif It's saying "The file might be corrupted or in a format that Movie Maker doesn't recognise" it's a .WAV file like all of the others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clear one hurdle up jumps another sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I've even tried just using a picture instead of true video and attaching the sound file to that but it just isn't happenning unsure.gif

I think maybe the PC will be going through the window in a minute, more practise lost mad.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 1 2014, 08:02 PM) *
Ok, it just won't work for some reason so I've done one straight from the camera. I didn't point it at me but towards the amp to try to get better sound

I play the open strings, then the harmonics on the 12th fret, the 1st twelve notes of the C major thing and then the chords from the open chord lesson.

Let me know what you think, you may sense the tension from struggling to sort a proper video out for an hour and a half and losing all that precious practise mad.gif

Cheers

Phil

Hey again mate - this sounds much better to me smile.gif I think we should go for recording a new video while keeping a very calm and relaxed state of mind and trying not to apply too much pressure that would alter the pitch when playing the chords - deal? If the problem persists after this, then I think you should take her to the luthier.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks biggrin.gif

If that sounds better to you maybe it's because I was more relaxed at not having to show you my skills or lack of them? Maybe I tense up with REC button syndrome?

I can't send you a recording of Let It Be just yet, it will sound more like Humpty Dumpty and I'd be so embarrassed rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 2 2014, 01:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2014, 04:35 PM
Hello Cosmin,

Been thinking as I've been toiling away producing blood, sweat and tears tongue.gif ; as I don't have perfect pitch at all, maybe we could start with relative pitch by you giving me the notes for "When", "self" and "trouble" just to give me something to work with?

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 2 2014, 04:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:28 PM