Student Becoming Instructor?, oh dear
JeroenKole
Sep 3 2008, 11:49 AM
GMC:er
first off, I have to apologize for the misleading title of this post.

my stepmum called me today and asked me if I would like teach my 10 year old half-sister for a little extra pocket money. Of course I'm interested. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little extra money and helping anyone gives me a good feeling.

I have to teach her acoustic although she might be interested in electric later. And I have to teach her similar stuff they teach at music school.

Things I realized I will need myself to teach her:
An Acoustic guitar, I will go next week to a music shop to get one.
An working computer with internet acces at my dad's home.
Two legal working versions of GP5
A gig bag for the acoustic.

She still needs:
A Tuner to keep her guitar in tune (nothing as annoying as a guitar that is out of tune and you aren't experienced enough to tune by ear)
Picks (I'll give her some of mine for the time being.)
A gig bag (This is a perhaps though)

Things I am quite certain I have to teach her:
Fingerpicking (have to learn this myself first in order to teach her)
Chords (My Current Limited knowledge of the Chords isn't enough unfortunately)
Reading notes and apply it to guitar (unlike me she can read them already, but applying it to guitar is quite a challenge)

Things I believe I need to teach her:
Reading Tabs
Using a Pick
Start with scales and theory in general
Certain philosophy behind the musical instrument.
Taking care of your fingers ^^

I am quite strict when I'm teaching anything. I expect from anyone I teach to give their best. And I have a lot of trouble with tolerating "I can't do it". This attitude can be both motivating and demotivating for a 10 year old.

At the moment I have a lot of trouble figuring out how to start though, as she has zero guitar experience and only learning chords can be very unmotivating especially when you are 10 years old.

I'll try to convince my parents to have her signed up for GMC though wink.gif

Any advice is welcome as this is giving me quite the headache blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 3 2008, 12:01 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Sep 3 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Oh no, you're on your own!! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif Try open chords, major and minor for starters. That should keep her busy for some time, then why not play childrens song? I think that would be fun for her.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 3 2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah for somebody who is ten it is important to teach them something that will keep them interested and make sure the lessons are fun. So teach them things like the Pink Panther theme song and other kids TV and fun songs to play. Don't go over the top on theory with a 10 year old as they will see it as more of a chore than a fun thing to do. They can learn more theory when they choose to learn it.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 3 2008, 01:34 PM
IF she already read notation then she's playing another instrument. Teach her how to apply her knowledge from that instrument to the guitar, let's say that it's violin. Do similes; the guitar has 6 strings as you can see, as opposed to the violas 4. They're tuned to EBGDAE. You see the frets? they decide what note the string will play! This one per example is G and this one, is B this one is an open one, which means that you do not have to push it down and that's D then we have G on the next string, B on the one right there and you push down the third fret on that one to get back to G, do you know what we have? That's right! G major biggrin.gif

do the same with D major and A major and you can teach her Twinkle Twinkle little star. Find out if there's a song that she like, no matter how complicated, you learn it and then you play it for her, make her join in and sing and you can say this is awesome!!! We'll let this be our goal for this term ok?

Then you get the melody by ear, teach her how to pick simple things first and then teach her to pick the melody! Then you can jam a little with her biggrin.gif

This is how I would do it biggrin.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 3 2008, 06:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Learn her to play open chords, but start with some very simple, recognizable songs like mary had a little lamb. Chords is hard when you realy start playing, because your fingers heart and you'll just mute all the strings. A chord is a combination of fretted notes, so wouldn't it be logical to learn her how to fret notes before how to combine them?

Good luck Jeroen, you'll be fine smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Sep 3 2008, 06:49 PM
I am sure you will enjoy it - and learn twice as much as she will! Teaching is an excellent way to learn. laugh.gif

You don't need to legal copies of GP5 - when you can get all the copies you want of TuxGuitar.
I does read gp5 files, so you should be all set with it. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 3 2008, 07:07 PM
Instructor
First check out what music she prefer, and teach her some very easy songs using open chords. This should be enough for first 2-3 classes, depending how she's progressing. Then start learning her some nice licks - don't start with theory at once, unless she is very interested to learn it. Theory is the beginning can be very demotivating sometimes. So keep it interesting, and don't flash your knowledge too much. Be down to earth and very patient. No need to push her to the limits, just try to slowly show her a couple of tricks. Remember, you are not teaching yet - you are slowly trying to increase students wish to play the guitar. Student in the end practice everything alone, so you are there just to show what to practice during certain period of time, in order to get things going.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Sep 3 2008, 09:10 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Right first of all start with open chords,

and then the caged system:- once this is all ok then....

Get a diagram of all frets from 1-12 with all the notes named and make her take it away and learn it.

Then get her to play random variations of caged chords i.e

An "C" shaped "G" chord

"A" shaped "D" chord etc this will teach her the notes on the neck much more quickly!.

Then try teaching her about the circle of 5ths and "power" chords

Then some simple songs to keep her interested personally i start with Nirvana cos everyone knows and loves them and also its very easy to play Polly was the first song I learned

hows that for starters...

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 15 2008, 02:59 PM
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Sep 3 2008, 12:49 PM) *
first off, I have to apologize for the misleading title of this post.

my stepmum called me today and asked me if I would like teach my 10 year old half-sister for a little extra pocket money. Of course I'm interested. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little extra money and helping anyone gives me a good feeling.

I have to teach her acoustic although she might be interested in electric later. And I have to teach her similar stuff they teach at music school.

Things I realized I will need myself to teach her:
An Acoustic guitar, I will go next week to a music shop to get one.
An working computer with internet acces at my dad's home.
Two legal working versions of GP5
A gig bag for the acoustic.

She still needs:
A Tuner to keep her guitar in tune (nothing as annoying as a guitar that is out of tune and you aren't experienced enough to tune by ear)
Picks (I'll give her some of mine for the time being.)
A gig bag (This is a perhaps though)

Things I am quite certain I have to teach her:
Fingerpicking (have to learn this myself first in order to teach her)
Chords (My Current Limited knowledge of the Chords isn't enough unfortunately)
Reading notes and apply it to guitar (unlike me she can read them already, but applying it to guitar is quite a challenge)

Things I believe I need to teach her:
Reading Tabs
Using a Pick
Start with scales and theory in general
Certain philosophy behind the musical instrument.
Taking care of your fingers ^^

I am quite strict when I'm teaching anything. I expect from anyone I teach to give their best. And I have a lot of trouble with tolerating "I can't do it". This attitude can be both motivating and demotivating for a 10 year old.

At the moment I have a lot of trouble figuring out how to start though, as she has zero guitar experience and only learning chords can be very unmotivating especially when you are 10 years old.

I'll try to convince my parents to have her signed up for GMC though wink.gif

Check what music she likes, and teach her why it works like it does. You obviously gotta know some theory to explain everything.

Also I believe in teaching scales before chords, because when you know the scale, you can easily spot the chord progression.
If you don't, learning chords will be quite blindly because you won't understand why the progression is like it is.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Sep 15 2008, 03:00 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 07:15 AM