> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Take 2: Dio Style, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

IceThrone
Feb 10 2017, 08:23 AM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: Dio Style by Ben Higgins

Attempt Number two at Dio Lesson! Still can't do the 1-3-5 but the timing and the small subtleties have been worked on. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=54746&p=716089&#entry716089

Links to previous attempts at this lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=54746

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 10 2017, 06:33 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Great to know you've been working to fix timing issues. It's not that bad at all, at this point, but still it doesn't fit with the expectem rhythm well enough to say it's "tight". The lick around 0:08 sound like it starts too early. It's a hard one because there are several fast rhythm values to be launched after a pause.

You seems to have some problems with control of unwanted strings noise. They cut through the mix, affecting sustain of the notes you play. IT makes faster runs sound blurried.

Around 0:47 you play powerchords for exchange with responses of high strings licks. Notice that Ben does hold those "responses" a little longer. You cut them pretty straight and fast, while Ben applies vibrato and than releases his left hand to go back to low strings.

Those are essential things I've noticed to need a fix. There's still a headroom to improve your performance, but this one is still pleasant to listen smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2017, 08:40 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

I can see important improvements comparing this one with the previous take, and I can also see that each of the elements that I've marked in my previous feedback are better in this take.

The next step is to polish details regarding dynamics, timing, articulation, improving harmonics, and adding vibrato. Each of these elements are expressing tools that will make your playing sounds more "professional" and obviously more "expressive".

By articulation I refer to notes / chord duration, and the silence between chords, notes or sections. This problem is more notorious when going from power chords to double stops in higher strings. This movement is not smooth.

Dynamics can be improved along the whole lesson, but I'd like to mark the galloping part, where I recommend to compare your right hand work with Ben's. Notice how his movement is bigger, to be able to attack strings with more aggression, and give the galloping the right accentuation.

You have added more harmonics work in this new take, but there is still more room in this direction. Keep on experimenting, and comparing, trying to emulate how Ben does it in this lesson.

The best would be to work again on smaller blocks, and compare your vid with the lesson thinking on these elements, and work on 1 element at a time.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 16 2017, 01:06 PM
GMC Founder
First: at times it is obvious you have found that sweet pocket and you're really grooving with the music - well done, you are unto something here!

There are however some quite problematic sections as pointed out by Darius. If you fix those, I will be headbanging to your next take - guaranteed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 17 2017, 11:04 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:14 AM