Anyone Else Feel This Way?, college and music
matt r
Jan 4 2010, 07:21 AM
GMC:er
Hey everyone!

This semester i barely had any time to play guitar and by finals week had almost forgot that i enjoyed playing! Anyway this winter break I've been enjoying leisure time rivaled only by times in high school. I have literally everyday to do whatever i want but what is there to do? OH YEAH i play guitar and have upwards to 5 grand invested in instruments, amps, recording equipment, and pedals.

In High School I had plenty of time to do whatever i wanted (public school) and i tried to learn music theory but just didn't have the dedication or attention span. You really never learn HOW to learn until you go to college, at least that is how i feel I'm sure its different for everyone. But, in High School everything if spoon fed to you, everything is repeated numerous times almost to the point where you have to be sound asleep not to learn in class.

Contrasting this, college is exponentially more difficult as things are said once and you are responsible for remembering it (which in my opinion is ridiculous as i have terrible memory). So where does that leave college students? I think it leaves them with either with the desire to succeed or give up entirely. AND if you chose to try and succeed you need to learn to learn form reading text books and making sense of it.

How does this all relate to music? Well, I could never understand why i wasn't getting better in High School and it had to do with the motivation and skill set related to continuing to learn about music. I would just play the same pentatonic scale over and over again and expect to get better. Since I've been home I've studied Andrews Theory Lessons like i would study for Geology or say, French and it has broadened my understanding of music more than any other time i can remember.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:16 AM