2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Help Me Choose A Les Paul, Just cant decide..
Spreedmaster
Oct 20 2007, 02:15 AM
GMC:er
I want to invest in a les paul because, well, its a les paul! laugh.gif But I'm stuck between too different epiphone models so I was just looking for a few opinions to help me make my decision. These are the two:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epi...stom?sku=519391

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epi...itar?sku=517233

I really like how both of them look but has anyone tried either of these and can give me an opinion? (I cant as the music stores around here really suck dry.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 02:21 AM
Well i have played a Les Paul custom (like the silverburst before) and i loved it.
I suggest getting a real Les Paul though (Gibson not Epi).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gib...itar?sku=511976

This is the one was planning on getting, i dont know if i will or when though. rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 20 2007, 02:26 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
You can get the real deal, a faded Gibson LP with 490/498 pu's for less than $800.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 20 2007, 02:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
Or a Zakk Wylde custom from epiphone ...^^

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 02:31 AM
Or even the BFG LP

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gib...itar?sku=512579

its got a funky look to it and it also has a killswitch.

+Quote Post
superjudge
Oct 20 2007, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 20 2007, 03:21 AM) *
I suggest getting a real Les Paul though (Gibson not Epi).

Just out of curiosity (and not actually directed specifically to this post, but just in general): I see a lot of people saying Epiphones are no good, and that you should get a real Gibson instead. I have had an Epiphone Les Paul for quite some time, and I am really happy with it. It has beautiful finnish, is very playable, and sounds pretty good, I think (if I would do anything, I would replace the pups, but it is still OK the way it is now); I am actually more of a strat-man myself, so I am not the best guy at reviewing Les Pauls, that's why I am asking.

So, what's generally the problem with Epiphones? Are they inconsistent in quality? Did I luck out and get the only good one made that year? Or am I just deceived in believing that my Epi actually sounds somewhat like a Les Paul? Or is there something else?

(Sorry if I am highjacking the thread, but it is at least somewhat related, I guess, as the original poster was considering an Epi. :-)

Cheers,

johan

+Quote Post
javari
Oct 20 2007, 02:48 AM
QUOTE (superjudge @ Oct 20 2007, 03:39 AM) *
Just out of curiosity (and not actually directed specifically to this post, but just in general): I see a lot of people saying Epiphones are no good, and that you should get a real Gibson instead. I have had an Epiphone Les Paul for quite some time, and I am really happy with it. It has beautiful finnish, is very playable, and sounds pretty good, I think (if I would do anything, I would replace the pups, but it is still OK the way it is now); I am actually more of a strat-man myself, so I am not the best guy at reviewing Les Pauls, that's why I am asking.

So, what's generally the problem with Epiphones? Are they inconsistent in quality? Did I luck out and get the only good one made that year? Or am I just deceived in believing that my Epi actually sounds somewhat like a Les Paul? Or is there something else?

(Sorry if I am highjacking the thread, but it is at least somewhat related, I guess, as the original poster was considering an Epi. :-)
Cheers,

johan

I agree, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra.
Great guitar, flawless finish. I think its better tha the cheaper Gibson Les Pauls.
Obviuos not as good as the more expensive Gibsons, but then, these are at least 3 or 4 times more expensive.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 02:52 AM
QUOTE (superjudge @ Oct 19 2007, 09:39 PM) *

Cheers,

johan

Well its pretty much like buying a mexican made strat over an american made strat. Gibson owns Epi, but its like the cheaper brand of guitars, so in other words if you buy a Gibson LP over an Epi LP you will get a better quality guitar (some of the parts are different too depending on what model of Les Paul you get).

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Oct 20 2007, 02:56 AM
Learning Roadie
ive got a epiphone lespaul standard with EMG 81's in and i love it!

out of the 2 youve got there ive only played the "gothic" one and i wasnt impressed at all, it felt horrible and the sound wasnt much better.

i cant comment on the silverburst though.

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
superjudge
Oct 20 2007, 03:04 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 20 2007, 03:52 AM) *
Well its pretty much like buying a mexican made strat over an american made strat. Gibson owns Epi, but its like the cheaper brand of guitars, so in other words if you buy a Gibson LP over an Epi LP you will get a better quality guitar (some of the parts are different too depending on what model of Les Paul you get).

OK, but then it essentially boils down to comparing a $300 guitar to $3000 guitar, right?

Sure, I know there are cheaper Gibsons, but if the relation between Gibson and Epi is anything like that between American Fender and Mexican Fender, then I would assume that the more expensive Epis would be comparable to the cheaper Gibsons, is that correct?

Cheers,

johan

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 03:08 AM
Exactly...it all depends on the buyers price range, and im going to yes to your question. For example the Tony Iommi model Epi is awesome and probably worth the money.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 20 2007, 03:12 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (superjudge @ Oct 20 2007, 03:39 AM) *

Cheers,

johan

Nothing wrong with Epi's really. I belive the quality can differ between guitars, I've tried a few in the store when I bought mine and managed to pick out one that I thought sounded much better than the others.
I also tried a Gibson, that sounded better than my Epi, but just a little better definietentlously not worh to pay three times the money so I got the Epi instead. Can't say there's anything i'm not pleased with (I changed pu's though but even the stock pu's sounded good to me), possibly I will change the machine heads in the future but they are still good so I will keep them for a while longer.

+Quote Post
superjudge
Oct 20 2007, 03:20 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Oct 20 2007, 03:28 AM) *
Or a Zakk Wylde custom from epiphone ...^^

What about this one: http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_lp_custom_emg_eb_ltd.htm

Anyone tried it? Seems almost more like a Zakk Wylde Les Paul than the actual Epi Zakk Les Paul (except for the graphics, and probably the "unfinished" neck, which obviously would be sweet)...

Yeah, I know, the original poster did *not* ask for a Zakk-axe... sorry for highjacking again... it's just, it seems so nice, and I have secretly started to fantasize about an axe with active EMGs... :-)

Cheers,

johan

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 20 2007, 03:27 AM
QUOTE (superjudge @ Oct 19 2007, 09:04 PM) *
OK, but then it essentially boils down to comparing a $300 guitar to $3000 guitar, right?

Sure, I know there are cheaper Gibsons, but if the relation between Gibson and Epi is anything like that between American Fender and Mexican Fender, then I would assume that the more expensive Epis would be comparable to the cheaper Gibsons, is that correct?
Cheers,

johan

No. They leave some stuff out on the cheaper Les Pauls, some frills. For example on a Studio you will in all probability have a two piece back. It means nothing acoustically. The Studios will never have a see through back because of that.

Now it is different with the Custom Shop Les Pauls. The Standards have the one piece backs, but they have weight relief holes. The Custom Shop Les Pauls don't have weight relief holes, they take the time to select Mahogany that is lighter weight.

edit: also, don't assume the profit margins are identical on the different Gibson lines. I suspect (highly) that the Studios have a lower profit margin. It is a bit of a loss leader, to hook you in I think. The Studios are a good deal. Like the one Gabriel has. Ok, now somebody tell me you can get an XXX guitar, a YYY amp and 50 Six packs of premium beer for what you pay for a Gibson.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 20 2007, 03:49 AM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 03:30 AM
EMG's are awesome though, i have them on my Kirk Hammett signature ESP.

QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 19 2007, 10:27 PM) *
No. They leave some stuff out on the cheaper Les Pauls, some frills. For example on a Studio you will in all probability have a two piece back. It means nothing acoustically. The Studios will never have a see through back because of that.

Now it is different with the Custom Shop Les Pauls. The Standards have the one piece backs, but they have weight relief holes. The Custom Shop Les Pauls don't have weight relief holes, they take the time to select Mahogany that is lighter weight.

Thats correct.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 20 2007, 03:32 AM
save up and get a BFG!
but i like the Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom (Silverburst) better, because it is more sexy. black one is just childish, immature etc. me thinks unless someone like satch uses a plain black les paul, the comment will remain the same

This post has been edited by kevin-riff-after-riff: Oct 20 2007, 03:34 AM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 20 2007, 03:36 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 19 2007, 08:26 PM) *
You can get the real deal, a faded Gibson LP with 490/498 pu's for less than $800.

I don't think you are talking abou the Standard Faded. If I could get them for $800, I would buy a ton of them, and sell them the next day on Ebay for a substantial profit. I think you are talking about the Mahogany. Which is a nice guitar. And the pickup combination is great. But it does sound different from the standard, as it has a Mahogany top, not a Maple top. I have one. When I took up guitar some little internet place had them for $600 just for a few days. I got a price match from Guitar Center. You can sell them for that much used, so I figured when have I got to lose? And quite honestly, at this time, I play this guitar more than any other. I really like it.

I would not look down on Epi. They are fine, to be honest. However, people who play are serious, and generally at some point are willing to pay more for the real McCoy. If you really play a lot, and think about it, and can convince your wife, is it really that much money considering that?

In the States, go to the lespaulforum.com, and buy from a sponsor. You will get it cheaper, from a very reputable dealer. Also you can find out all you ever wanted to know about Les Pauls there.

edit: typo and redundant statement removed

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 20 2007, 03:40 AM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 03:38 AM
id still get the BFG over the epi silverburst but the Gibson silverburst over all, except a jimmy page signature les paul if you can afford it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 20 2007, 03:41 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 19 2007, 09:38 PM) *
id still get the BFG over the epi silverburst but the Gibson silverburst over all, except a jimmy page signature les paul if you can afford it laugh.gif

I have heard good things about them. Although I expect a lot of people would not want one that looks like that for their first les paul.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 20 2007, 03:42 AM
i would haha.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:32 PM