Theory!
Braer
May 14 2009, 08:23 PM
GMC:er
Hello all!

I have just been started practing speedruns and stuff on the guitar. When i play i just create random stuff and play, (mostly for fun) people say i have to learn scales. I only know 1 scale and that is Am penatonic. What scales should i learn? how should i learn them? how do i learn a scale horizontaly(bad english)? what is the difference between minor and major? how do i create licks from the scale?

Thanks to all who answers me! I wounder how i could learn guitar without gmc wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 14 2009, 08:36 PM
Instructor
Oh man you said you need pretty much everything smile.gif But don't worry everything takes time but you can get there. You should make some serious practicing plan. First I suggest that you see Andrew's theory board on this forum. Then when you understand the basics you should learn how to play Major and Minor scales. Also you need to understand the chords that you can make out of those scales. After that you can move to modes and explore the whole new world of playing. Even with the Am pentatonic that you said you already know, there is probably more you can discover about minor pentatonic - for example you can play it in 5 positions on the guitar. There is also Major pentatonic which you should learn. All this will help you improve your improvising and composing skills.

Check this lesson for Minor pentatonic
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/pentat...five-positions/

Of course you can ask anything at anytime and we will direct you to the right track if you think you lost it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Braer
May 14 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks!

you see the minor penatonic shapes pictures in your lesson? is that what guitarist call "the box" ? cool.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 14 2009, 08:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ May 14 2009, 08:41 PM) *
Thanks!

you see the minor penatonic shapes pictures in your lesson? is that what guitarist call "the box" ? cool.gif

yes, those are 5 boxes smile.gif I call them positions

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Braer
May 14 2009, 08:46 PM
thanks again

can i just move those boxes around or? at
what frets do they start?

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 14 2009, 08:50 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Braer @ May 14 2009, 08:23 PM) *
Hello all!

I have just been started practing speedruns and stuff on the guitar. When i play i just create random stuff and play, (mostly for fun) people say i have to learn scales. I only know 1 scale and that is Am penatonic. What scales should i learn? how should i learn them? how do i learn a scale horizontaly(bad english)? what is the difference between minor and major? how do i create licks from the scale?

Thanks to all who answers me! I wounder how i could learn guitar without gmc wink.gif

Hey Braer

Theory can seem a little daunting to start with but you can soon find yourself understanding how everything works together between chords and scales and most importantly how to use them to make music! Luckily Andrew has put together a great set of articles here which really helped me grasp everything- i advise you sit down with a cup of coffee and do a little bit of reading everyday smile.gif

What scales should i learn?

You know the Am pentatonic scale- which is a cool choice of scale for alot of applications but it is mostly use for phrasing. I reccomend for speed runs you learn the Minor scale, and more specifically you should learn these in a 3 note per string layout (3nps). You'll find a couple of articles in that theory list that go over the advantages of learning them this way and how to construct them.

how should i learn them?

You should learn what intervals are (check that theory list!) and learn the intervals in the minor scale, also learn what a root note is (this would be the "A" in Am pentatonic or A minor scale). You can learn them in a CAGED format- which is great for playing it in 5 different positions and be able to visually compare the scale to the relevant chord. However, learning the 7 3nps shapes will allow you to see every note on the neck that belongs to that scale and also help with those speed runs (as you'll be playing the same amount of notes on each string, which is a miracle for the picking hand!)

what is the difference between minor and major?

You can have major and minor chords- and also major and minor scales, you'll eventually learn how chords are derived from scales but i'll be brief in explaining the difference here

major chord: 1 3 5
minor chord: 1 b3 5

when applied to the key of A (A being the root note here) you get:

A chord: A C# E
Am chord: A C E

So where chords are concerned there is only one note different between major and minor!

with scales:

major scale: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
minor scale: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

in A:

A major: A B C# D E F# G#
A minor: A B C D E F G

As you can see there are three notes that differ between the major and minor scales (after working through andrew's lessons you'll learn how the major and minor scales are related not only with each other but with 5 other scales with funny names wink.gif )

how do i create licks from the scale?

I find the best way for this is to
1) know the patterns that make up the scale in various places on the neck
2) listen to alot of music you like and learn the licks your favourite players use

the combination of these two things will get your creative juices going and also give you the framework that you can operate in to make the lick sound good.

Hope that helps a little

edit: i see Emir is faster with his fingers on the keyboard than i am - but i should have guessed that with the speed i've seen them move around the fretboard tongue.gif

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: May 14 2009, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 14 2009, 08:51 PM
Instructor
Start with Andrew's theory board and in the meanwhile connect that with lessons at the site. If you have any questions feel free to ask them on forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
May 14 2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks ALOT!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 14 2009, 09:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ May 14 2009, 08:46 PM) *
thanks again

can i just move those boxes around or? at
what frets do they start?

Watch the lesson and see how I play it. The first slow video is showing all those 5 boxes exactly as they are written on that map with A root note. This lesson is all A minor pentatonic.

They can start at any fret. For example if you set your root to be G note then the 1st position will start from the 3rd fret 6th string. From there you can get the others. In this case you would be playing G minor pentatonic.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: May 14 2009, 09:04 PM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Braer
May 14 2009, 09:05 PM
does anny scale always have 5 boxes?

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 14 2009, 09:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ May 14 2009, 09:05 PM) *
does anny scale always have 5 boxes?

You can play any scale in 5 positions if you use this system. There is also 7 position system and 3 notes per string (horizontal system). You will figure that out later. For now I suggest you learn all this and the rest will come along.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
-Zion-
May 14 2009, 10:09 PM
Learning Roadie
just wanted to jump in here and say that these are amazing suggestions and explanations.. kudos to you guys..

I am just going to say that you should take it easy.. i think you should start with a little theory, and learn the minor pentatonic.. when you have that, then continue with another scale and more theory..

taking too much in can be quite overwhelming..

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 14 2009, 10:30 PM
Instructor
As Pedja said the Andrew board it's a great place to begin smile.gif

Here I leave you the link wink.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hp?showforum=25

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 14 2009, 10:33 PM
Learning Tone Guru
We would be able to help you more, if you told us what do you know about notes and degrees of scale. Thats the most basic theory, you need to have. On this you can build anything you want. But you need these basics learnt VERY WELL.

There is no such thing as hard theory - there are just times, when its too early:) If you dont udnerstand something, go back one step and read again smile.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 15 2009, 12:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 14 2009, 11:33 PM) *
We would be able to help you more, if you told us what do you know about notes and degrees of scale. Thats the most basic theory, you need to have. On this you can build anything you want. But you need these basics learnt VERY WELL.

There is no such thing as hard theory - there are just times, when its too early:) If you dont udnerstand something, go back one step and read again smile.gif

I agree, you just need to spend some time on theory studying and it will be OK. Don't worry if you don't understand it right away, just focus on learning the theory and in time it will become much clearer. Use every available source for learning theory that you can find. If you learn from more sources, chances are you will better understand things, cause you read them in different kind of ways.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:52 AM