Like In Your "kirk Hammett Solo Tricks" Lesson, How to do looping and have drums
Rollos
Jul 16 2008, 09:59 AM
GMC:er
Hey Kris,

I am quite new to GMC and by taking a look around i found your great "Kirk Hammett Solo Tricks" lesson.

Although I am far from playing like that, I still am very interested in the method of creating a drum/rythm and solo part in a similar manner. That means:
a) having realistic drums in the background to get the groove,
b) record and loop a rythm part and finally
c) practice a solo/improvisation to that.

My related questions are:
- Could you please help me out and explain how recording and looping the rythm part in connection with drums is working? (e.g. from equipment point of view)
- The looping devices I know of have only a simple metromom click incorporated. Did you use an additional tool to have also drums for this lesson?
- Have the drums sounds also been looped or were they seperately running all the time?
- How did you practically start the drums before using the looping device? (e.g. using another foot switch?)

If I would be able to understand this I could use this method for my studies of rythm parts connected to real drum sounds and later on selfmade solos or improvisation to the loop at home. That would be great.

Thanks for your explanations in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 16 2008, 09:42 PM
GMC Founder
Well if I get you right - the process of creating the loop went like this.

* I did a little thinking of how I could create a metallica sounding riff

* I wrote the drum beat ( a basic 4/4 beat I think - meaing we count to four and then repeat) in the software Nuendo.

* I recorded the guitar in that software

* I did copy and paste a whole bunch of times with the whole section I created/recorded. That's how I did the loop.

There are various looping machines available, here is one reviewd at GMC:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=13873

Not sure if thas drums though. I think the Pandora (which is a cool unit) has drum beats, but I don't know if you can record with it.

I think best would be if you bought a digital recorder device (such as boss BR 600, but there are lots of smaller and probably cheaper units) or use your computer.

You can probably find freeware/shareware to do all this for you. Browse the GMC recording board! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rollos
Jul 17 2008, 09:07 PM
GMC:er
Huh, went a totally different way as I expected.

Thank you very much for your explanations. I will work my way through all the material posted and hopefully get a proper recoding to my PC done.

Cheers wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:56 PM