How To Get Good Pinch Harmonics
buttmonk
Sep 8 2007, 09:58 PM
GMC:er
Hi forum,

Not sure if this is a gear question or technique question but here goes. My main guitar at the moment is a Carvin Bolt+ which I built from a kit. It has SS frets, humbuckers in bridge and neck and Wilkinson trem. The strings (9s) are fairly close to the pups, the coils are about 4mm away from the strings on both pups which is toward the lower limit of what Carvin recommends. The pups are Carvin C22J (7.6 Kohm) and C22B (13.6Kohm) with Alnico magnets. I have a Orange Tiny Terror amp and also Roland Micro Cube

The issue is that I can't seem to get a decent screaming pinch harmonic type sound. What I can get just seems to be a bit weak and does not sustain for very long, and frankly just sounds a bit weird and is not really useable. I am looking for something like what u hear in the rock and metal lessons on the site which is a bit gnarly and sustains for a while. It does not seem to make much difference what amp I use and how much distortion it is dialed into.

Notes plucked normally also don't seem to sustain that long, about 4-5s which I think is not much.

So, what is the cause of the problem? Do I just need new pups? Should they be much closer to strings? Is it the neck pup which should be easier to get pinch harmonics on?

I am in process of building a new guitar based on USA Custom Guitars neck, it will have fixed bridge and BareKnuckle Warpigs. Any guesses if this setup would be better for harmonics?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Sep 9 2007, 12:02 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:00 AM