8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Onetabmat's Bootcamp, You have chosen the path of the Warrior!
Todd Simpson
Jun 12 2019, 06:45 AM
GMC:er
Bingo! It just needed a bit more focus on the muting. I can tell that your fingers are more than able to play it. I'm guessing you were just burning through missions and may not have even noticed a bit of string noise. I grade these a bit picky. Quick Licks is more about just trying the lick. Bootcamp is more about precision. Let's debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR
PINKY POWER Nice work there! You've got great reach and pinky control!

TRAVERSE THE UNIVERSE string traverse without any unwanted notes/noise. With open string licks, string noise is always something that comes up at some point.

RETRO ACTIVE Back and forth on the strings without missing the strike or finger. Nice! The back and forth can get confusing. Not so here!

You ticked every box I was looking for! Congrats!! you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2019, 03:49 AM
You have a good roll going Soldier!! One thing I'd say to look at is using your pinky on fret 7 and lower. You start with the pinky but switch to the third finger in some cases. The more you can use the pinky, especially on the lower frets, the better! Once you get up past 12th fret work, the first 3 fingers can make more sense in some cases. But on the low frets, always try to use the pinky! Lets Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*SYNCHING AND SWIMMING: You have good hand synch here which is great. Without good synch, this lick, and most of these licks, will fall apart.

*PACE STEADY AS A CLOCK: Being able to play at a steady pace is something many folks struggle with. It's easy to play certain bits quick, then tricky bits slow.

*CLEAN AS A WHISTLE: This is a tricky pattern and requires string traverse and muting and synch. You may not realize it, but you are now using a HUGE amount of technique all at once.

You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Jun 18 2019, 08:37 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2019, 12:02 AM
MISSION 36 DEBRIEF!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*AGRESSIVE STYLE: Not only did you play the piece, you played your bits as well. You play with confidence which is what I'm hoping to see in this one. No timidity or reticence. Score!

*PICKING: Solid pick articulation is the second thing I"m looking for on this one. Your picking technique is quite good. Double Score!

*TECHNIQUE: Solid palm mute, precise picking, not rushing or lagging, all of your technique is on display. Triple Score!
You ticked every check box that I"m looking for on this mission. You are on a Roll!!
In short you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 17 2019, 04:54 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 17 2019, 05:10 AM
MISSION 37 DEBRIEF!!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*AGRESSIVE STYLE: This Mission is just begging for some aggression and you had it!!

*PICKING: You articulated the pick quite well with thumb and first finger. Score!

*TECHNIQUE: Solid palm mute, precise picking, not rushing or lagging, BAM!

HALF THE SQUAD GOT KILLED

I did notice that you were not using your third finger in some of the fast runs. Instead you were using your first, second and pinky. This is a habit that I"d like to see you overcome. Try to use your third finger and pinky when you play notes that are close together instead of u sing your third finger and pinky. It's an issue, but not enough to stop you badging up!

In short you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 18 2019, 04:11 AM
MEDALS OF HONOR
PICKING FROM HELL!: Solid Picking on this. One Shot one Kill!
HANDY SYNCHY! These bits require synch. You got it!
MUTE OR SHOOT! Just enough to control any errant string noise, but not so much it kills all the fun.

HALF YOUR SQUAD GOT KILLED
FINGER FAILURE: I notice (time index 47 seconds.) You are still letting your third finger do the worth that your fourth finger should be doing. You make it work, but I would really like to see you try to break this habbit if at all possible. It will open up your playing to new possibilities! It's not enough to keep you from badging up as you still make it work!

In short you just ....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Jun 18 2019, 08:38 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2019, 02:32 AM
Well Fought Soldier I noticed you made good use of the Pinky which is what I was looking for. You ahve a bad habit of letting your second finger stand in for your third finger in some scale shapes. Also you sometimes let your first three fingers to the work even at the 5th fret where the pinky and third finger shoudl be involved. These are not good habits to have and will keep you from being able to play to your full potential which I think is very high! On to the debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

CLEAN AS GLASS: No glitches or misses. Each strike meets it's note.

SO TIGHT YOU COULD BOUNCE A QUARTER OFF OF IT: Right/Left hand Synch is very tight.

STILL STRONG Palm Muting continues to be a strength.

You have a couple of issues to work on soldier, I hope that we can work through them as we go! For now.

You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2019, 06:03 AM
MEDALS OF HONOR
LEFT HAND SKILLS THAT KILL This drill uses all the strings to make you traverse every single string. It's to see if you can keep a mute while traversing all of them.

RIGHT HAND SKILLS THAT KILLL These licks are designed to get you to strike then hammer without striking. Some folks get their strikes and non strikes mixed up and it's easy to hear when it happens. Not you! Spot on.

THAT SYNCHING FEELING This drill is also designed to show any gaps in right/left hand synch. The good news is, you don't have any!! If there are gaps it's easy to spot. You have really good right left synch.
HALF YOUR SQUAD GOT KILLED:

FINGERING: I'm still noticing that your using your first, second, and pinky, instead of first, third, and pinky, on many of the patterns. This is a hard habit to break. Try to see if you can break it in your next set of vids. It will open up your playing and speed like you can't imagine.

It's a small issue so for now you just....

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 22 2019, 08:46 PM
Good use of the Pinky! Well fought Soldier!
FINGER TRAVERSE: This has non stop string traverse to get you used to traversing every single string.

PALM MUTE: Keeping your hand planted while playing is a skill. Most folks just can't do it. You can do it quite well!!!

PICK ONCE HAMMER MANY: Your use of pick once, hammer many is very good and tightly controlled. It's a very powerful technique.
In short Solder, you just...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 24 2019, 08:02 AM
MISSION 42 DEBRIEF!!!
Nice! This is what I"m looking for on this one. This one is more of a conversation than a bullet list. I want to see if you can put notes in places where they make sense musically. For some folks, this is the Mission they just never get past. It's a bit step to be able to put it all to good use. You do it quite well! The only thing that bothers me is that i still see you useing your third finger instead of your pinky even when you are around the 7th fret. It's a bad habit that is very hard to break. Some folks never break the habit and it limits their playing for the rest of their lives. I see great potential in your playing so I'd urge you to try to use the pinky near the 7th fret and below, and to use the pinky and third finger instead of pinky and second finger when playing adjacent frets. Also a bad habit that is very hard to break. Still, this is a very fine solo and you just

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 25 2019, 05:53 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2019, 06:00 AM
MISSION 43 DEBRIEF!!!!
Soldier I"m impressed that you can play this finger twisting lick. It's a complex pattern that many folks find quite difficult. Not you! You rip right through it. The bad news is..

Soldier this is a prime example of a lick that really is meant to be played using the first finger, third finger, and pinky. It's really a pinky workout. It's to prepare your hand for playing this same pattern as Major and Minor Scales. Speed is not an issue here as you can clearly play plenty fast. The issue seems to be finger control. Give this one a shot using the first third and pinky for the entire thing. No matter how slow you have to play. Breaking these types of habits before they become unbreakable is crucial. Once more in to the breach!!!!
Sarge

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jun 29 2019, 02:55 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2019, 01:47 AM
I GOT YOUR SQUAD KILLED

This is my fault Soldier. When something like this happens, it's not the fault of the Student. it's the fault of the instructor. I have not been clear on what I am looking for. Also I just noticed that the tablature is NOT available for download. You can see the image, but you can't download the guitar pro file so you cant hit play and hear what it should sound like. As a result, I think you are sort of guessing as to what I'm wanting and going with that. Yo are very close just based on the guess so kudos there!! However, neither lick is actually correct.Bootcamp is a bit more structured and disciplined and regimented and frankly more difficult than Quick Licks. I need to see each drill played as written at least one start to finish with a pause in between so that I know you have finished the lick. If you keep playing and run the licks together, it makes it much harder for me to tell if you have completed the lick or not. IN Quick licks, this is less of an issue.
I"m going to rebuild the GUITAR PRO FILE from Scratch so that you can download it and hear it played. At that point I think You'll get a better idea of what each drill is about. I hate to have you go back for a third one on this but I really want you to be able to play these pieces as subsquent pieces are based on things you will learn here. I"ll recreate the tablature and let you know when I"m ready.
Apologies Soldier. We will work through this!
Sarge

Here are the new Guitar Pro Files. They are in GP5 format. The BPM is set to 240 but drop it to 120 and it will be more recognizable. 240 is just to show you what it will sound like with practice. I"ll link these files to the MISSION 43 page as well so that future Soldiers can download them.

Attached File  43a.gp5 ( 2.25K ) Number of downloads: 807
Attached File  43b.gp5 ( 2.23K ) Number of downloads: 883

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jun 29 2019, 09:55 AM) *
d

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 30 2019, 06:03 AM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jul 7 2019, 08:03 AM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2019, 03:57 AM
Now your talking!!!! Well fought Soldier!! I know this is NOT an easy piece. It's got serious pinky twisting going on. Both of these make great warm up drills. They will let you focus on your pinky and give you a good way to work the crap out of your pinky!!
LET'S DEBRIEF!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

TRICKY PICKING: You nailed it Soldier. The picking on this is very very tricky indeed. Picking is the first thing I look for on this.

SPIFF SYNCH: One slip on hand synch and you get to start over, good news is, you never miss! Every strike is paired up with a note. Nice!!

TRAVERSE GALORE: This entire mission is one big String Traverse Drill. It gives your hand a chance to work through every string up and down. Well played!

In short, you FREAKING KRUSHED IT!!!!!!! and..

LEVLED UP!!!!

Attached Image

You are officially over the humb Soldier!!!
Sarge

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jul 7 2019, 03:03 AM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2019, 08:41 AM
MISSION 44 DEBRIEF!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
PICKED CLEAN: You have a solid hand synch with your picking, HOWEVER, I still see you using First/Third/Pinky for shapes that really call for First/Fourth/Pinky. I have noticed this in several videos and it seems to be a habit that is somewhat ingrained in your playing. It's not enough to keep you from leveling up, but it's worth trying to fight it Soldier!!

SMOOTH AS SILK: Not rushing or lagging, smooth and in the zone!!

PICKING WHILE MUTED: This is one of the hardest things both to teach and to learn. Super Congrats, you have managed it. It's at the heart of my very own style and you show a great deal of promise using it here!
You have this one down Soldier. I remain concerned about your use of First/Third/Pinky finger playing. It's a bad habit that I hope you can work through here in Bootcamp. For now, you just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

I saw your question about SWEEPING. What you did was sort of like sweeping. One can play an arpeggio without it being a sweep picking lick. Sweep picking is typically done using a series of down and up strokes. E.G. Sweep Picking. Dragging the pick along in one direction. There are some sweep picking drills in our upcoming missions. It's a technique worth learning to be sure.
In short you just ....

LEVELED UP!!!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 9 2019, 08:43 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2019, 03:51 AM
MISSION 46 DEBRIEF!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
PRECISION: Precision is key. You play with more precision each time. It's the first thing I'm looking for on this Mission. The speed will happen by itself if you just stay focused on precision! You do have to push it though as progress happens at the edge of ones ability. Not in the comfort zone.

NOISE CONTROL: Open string licks require good palm muting. It's a delicate balance between too much and too little mute. You strike a vey solid balance. Despite using some distortion, I don't hear any unwanted string noise. Very well done on that. Adding gain makes any extra string noise show up and requires muting to be on point!

DEXTERITY: You play both licks with precision and dexterity making fine use of the weakest finger, THE PINKY! Developing PINKY POWER is just critical. Great to see you playing with the pinky on lower frets instead of trying to stretch the third finger! Also, You are avoiding using the first/second/pinky combo of fingers in places where first/second/pinky is better suited. Score!

In short you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jul 14 2019, 03:30 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 15 2019, 12:10 AM
You have come a long way in a short time Soldier!! You had obvious talent from the start and now you've forged it in to a weapon!!! Let's Debrief!!
TIMING TIMING: The first thing I look for in this Mission is TIMING. Are you playing spot on the beat and keeping solid count of time. No rushing, no lagging. Any mis steps in timing gets you sent back to the woodshed. The good news is your timing is solid as a ROCK!! Make that solid as a RAWWWWWWWWWKK!!!!!

[b]PRECISION PRECISION:[/b] As the old saying goes, speed is just a byproduct of precision. The second thing I"m looking for here in this Mission is to see how precisely you play. Is it sloppy? String noise? Unbalanced? Nope! Solid as two huge RAAAAWWWWWWKKS!!!

PICKING AND OR TAPPING: The last thing I'm looking for is your ability to pick and tap. These are two very very very different skills. One needs both. A fluency in picking and tapping is key to able to transition between these elements in a lead. More good news, your picking and tapping are TOIGHT as a drum.

I want to congratulate you Soldier! Your discipline and skill have served you well. Very few people ever make it this far. You are in the deep end of the pool and you are killing it!!!! Also, bonus points for dat saweeeeet Ibby!!!
In other words you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jul 14 2019, 10:30 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 15 2019, 01:26 AM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 11 2019, 12:19 PM
Learning Roadie
45, was missing

47 was missing

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Aug 11 2019, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 11 2019, 10:57 PM
Great to see you back in the Fight Soldier!!!! This Mission is designed to really stress the importance of the pinky. I went back and looked at the lesson and I just now added some text above each drill saying to use THE FIRST FINGER AND PINKY ONLY on the hammer on drill, and FIRST FINGER, THIRD FINGER AND PINKY ONLY On the scale type drill. I apologize that this was not more clear. For any work below the 12th fret, always try to use the pinky if possible.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*SOLID PINKY WORK ON THE WARMUP: You play the warm up drill very well and had a strong showing for the pinky!
*SOLID TIMING ON THE WARMUP: No rushing or lagging on the warm up drill. Nice!!

*ABANDONED THE PINKY: Right after the warmup drill, you switched to trying to stretch the third finger out to the job meant for the pinky. On the Second and Third drills, Try to use the pinky for the hammer section and the First, Third and Pinky for the scale type drill.
*MIND THE GAP: 45A is written with no gap or pause between the ascending and descending bits. It's written that way because it's very very hard for the brain to reverse gears and not lose track of which fingers are going to what frets. The brain wants to stop and reset. This is something that this drill is designed to help you work through. Once you have it, you will be able to to do descending and ascending runs back to back with zero pause/gap. I think you can handle this. It may take a few repetitions.

In short, you start strong Soldier!! A few old habits creep in and should be addressed before moving on. I had badged you up through this Mission after you had pointed out the badging had become out of order. I'm glad you found this one was missing though as it's got some crucial elements that your hand needs in order to play what's coming!
ONCE MORE IN TO THE BREACH SOLDIER!!!

Give me one more vid. The first part you don't need to play again, it's great. The next two parts, just play with pinky and then first/third/pinky, and no gap.

Sarge

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 11 2019, 07:19 AM) *
45, was missing

47 was missing

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 11 2019, 11:03 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:20 PM