2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Sweep Pick And Tap Style Lick, #29 Sweep Picking Arpeggio With Tapping "ish"
onetabmat
Nov 11 2018, 12:06 PM
Learning Roadie

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2018, 06:45 AM
GMC:er
Nailed it!!!!! You have this one down for sure. The pinky stretch required on this is extreme and you stick the landing! You play it smooth and evenly which is what I always look for. You can probably play this about 20 times faster, but I"m glad you kept is a pinch slower for the vid just to keep it clean. Add this bit to your warm up/practice routine and it can be a really killer lick. Works great in solos too!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 11 2018, 07:06 AM) *

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 2 2020, 09:05 PM
Learning Roadie

Will that work?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 3 2020, 01:05 AM
This is your FIRST Sweep picking lick! It's an honest to goodness arp/sweep. You've got the notes! All that remains is to play it as one pick rake up and down. Your still playing it one note at a time like the drills that built up to this one. Notice in the video that I'm playing it almost like a strummed chord. This is NOT easy. It's the difference between playing a sweep lick and just playing one note at a time. Your almost there, just a pinch smoother, a pinch faster so that it sounds like a sweep lick. Your practice has been building to this! Take one more shot at this!

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 2 2020, 04:05 PM) *

Will that work?

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 3 2020, 11:59 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 3 2020, 02:05 AM) *
This is your FIRST Sweep picking lick! It's an honest to goodness arp/sweep. You've got the notes! All that remains is to play it as one pick rake up and down. Your still playing it one note at a time like the drills that built up to this one. Notice in the video that I'm playing it almost like a strummed chord. This is NOT easy. It's the difference between playing a sweep lick and just playing one note at a time. Your almost there, just a pinch smoother, a pinch faster so that it sounds like a sweep lick. Your practice has been building to this! Take one more shot at this!

Todd

I've read TONS of articles and tutorials on Sweep picking when I first encountered the technique and most of them said it's about starting really slow and focus on the right picking movements + muting the strings with both hands. That's why I didn't want to rush a higher tempo on this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 3 2020, 11:53 PM
That's perfect! I just wanted you to play it in one rake motion more like a sweep lick than a note lick and that's what you did here wink.gif SCORE!!! This is a great arp to practice on. It requires a bit pinky leap as well. Some folks would use the right hand to tap that high note, which is fine, but I wanted to build one that sounded like that but used only the left hand. Keep this one in your practice routine!

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 3 2020, 06:59 AM) *
I've read TONS of articles and tutorials on Sweep picking when I first encountered the technique and most of them said it's about starting really slow and focus on the right picking movements + muting the strings with both hands. That's why I didn't want to rush a higher tempo on this one.

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 4 2020, 10:36 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 4 2020, 12:53 AM) *
That's perfect! I just wanted you to play it in one rake motion more like a sweep lick than a note lick and that's what you did here wink.gif SCORE!!! This is a great arp to practice on. It requires a bit pinky leap as well. Some folks would use the right hand to tap that high note, which is fine, but I wanted to build one that sounded like that but used only the left hand. Keep this one in your practice routine!

Sarge

Thank you. I don't think I can go much faster than that, though. Not without sacrificing precision and cleanliness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2020, 07:13 PM
Precision is the name of the game. Push the speed to feel what it is going to feel like as you go faster. It's ok to make mistakes when pushing the boundary. Eventually your fingers will adapt. Also keep pushing at slower speed to keep precision. Try it in bursts, try it in a loop. All of these things come together and result in performance as a result of repetition.

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 4 2020, 05:36 AM) *
Thank you. I don't think I can go much faster than that, though. Not without sacrificing precision and cleanliness.

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 5 2020, 09:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 5 2020, 08:13 PM) *
Precision is the name of the game. Push the speed to feel what it is going to feel like as you go faster. It's ok to make mistakes when pushing the boundary. Eventually your fingers will adapt. Also keep pushing at slower speed to keep precision. Try it in bursts, try it in a loop. All of these things come together and result in performance as a result of repetition.

I can't play it at YJM speed and I won't get even close to it for a while, I think. Pushing the speed in this one only hurts my precision and cleanliness so bad, I just put down the guitar and do other stuff. I can play it well at slow and moderate pace but speeding up too much has never worked for me in any activity ever.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2020, 07:35 PM
WELL PLAYED! Nice and smooth and under control. If burst speed doesn't help you progress then don't do it. Every player is a bit different in what works for them. Some folks use burst play to adapt to speed, others just work up slowly. I never got much out of burst play either, but it does work for some folks. I always just used the metronome, kept it under control and bumped up one beat per minute at a time. It took a lot of repetition, but when I did get fast I wasn't sloppy and I had enough stamina to play brisk as long as I liked. Some players burn out their hands after one quick shred. The good news here is your are playing smoothly and with precision. Congrats!
You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 5 2020, 04:57 PM) *
I can't play it at YJM speed and I won't get even close to it for a while, I think. Pushing the speed in this one only hurts my precision and cleanliness so bad, I just put down the guitar and do other stuff. I can play it well at slow and moderate pace but speeding up too much has never worked for me in any activity ever.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 6 2020, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 6 2020, 08:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 6 2020, 08:35 PM) *
WELL PLAYED! Nice and smooth and under control. If burst speed doesn't help you progress then don't do it. Every player is a bit different in what works for them. Some folks use burst play to adapt to speed, others just work up slowly. I never got much out of burst play either, but it does work for some folks. I always just used the metronome, kept it under control and bumped up one beat per minute at a time. It took a lot of repetition, but when I did get fast I wasn't sloppy and I had enough stamina to play brisk as long as I liked. Some players burn out their hands after one quick shred. The good news here is your are playing smoothly and with precision. Congrats!
You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Todd

Wow, I didn't expect that to work. Thank you!

Please, don't get me wrong. Bursting is a decent tool for learning. It's true, I don't get benefits from it, as far as learning itself is concerned, but it's great thing to let me assess my progress since the previous bursting check-up. Recording that helps me pick up the biggest flaws in my playing and from there, it's easier to isolate them and practice to improve.

For sweeps practice, I found out that the metronome is the best option for me. Gradual and small increments aren't noticeable until I look at the final tempo counter. It's a slow process but it's a good one and guaranteed to work smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 7 2020, 02:25 PM
We have that in common Soldier! I always used the metronome and pushed up one or two bpm at a time to keep my fingers under control. Otherwise it just felt sloppy to me and I didn't like it. Some folks get great benefit from burst play and metronome play, others use one or the other. In guitar anything that helps one's progress is a good thing imho smile.gif Keep it up!!

Your arp/sweep play is coming along well ! That lick was smooth and flowing.

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 6 2020, 03:52 PM) *
Wow, I didn't expect that to work. Thank you!

Please, don't get me wrong. Bursting is a decent tool for learning. It's true, I don't get benefits from it, as far as learning itself is concerned, but it's great thing to let me assess my progress since the previous bursting check-up. Recording that helps me pick up the biggest flaws in my playing and from there, it's easier to isolate them and practice to improve.

For sweeps practice, I found out that the metronome is the best option for me. Gradual and small increments aren't noticeable until I look at the final tempo counter. It's a slow process but it's a good one and guaranteed to work smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:13 PM