Loudness War, good to know!!!
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 10:31 PM
Singing Instructor
The phrase loudness war (or loudness race) refers to the music industry's tendency to record, produce and broadcast music at progressively increasing levels of loudness to create a sound that stands out from others. This phenomenon can be observed in many areas of the music industry, particularly broadcasting and albums released on CD and DVD. In the case of CDs, the war stems from artists' and producers' desires to create CDs that sound as loud as possible or louder than CDs from competing artists or recording labels.[1]

However, as the maximum amplitude of a CD is at a fixed level, the overall loudness can only be increased by reducing the dynamic range. This is done by pushing the lower level program material higher while the loudest peak sounds are either destroyed or severely diminished. Certain extreme uses of compression can cause distorting or clipping the waveform of the recording.

please look at the whole text....very interesting subject : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

as the text above say....phenomenon...that seams to apere by it self and is at the moment unstoppable...
I was not trying to tell in my own words becouse here(wikipedia) has done a great job....and grafix are great and realy helpfull...
......hope it give you some insites on the subject....smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
DeepRoots
Feb 9 2008, 10:39 PM
Get to da Chopper!
wow- opened my eyes, thanks Nemanja i had no idea this was happening ohmy.gif huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 10:44 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Feb 9 2008, 10:39 PM) *
wow- opened my eyes, thanks Nemanja i had no idea this was happening ohmy.gif huh.gif

yeh my friend my too..when I foud out I gived my full etention to the subject...very interesting stuff...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 10 2008, 12:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very interesting subject...people here think - the louder the better ! wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 10 2008, 02:10 PM
GMC:er
We play ear blasting loud lol. Loud is better. Nobody ever told Manowar to turn down biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 10 2008, 02:41 PM
Instructor
the easiest way to achieve this is to make a series of 'normalize', 'wave hammer' in sound forge , normalize would increase the overall level, while wave hammer will cut the outstanding peaks, and if repeat it you would get pretty loud mix, but it doesn't mean it will sound better wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:46 PM
Instructor
It doesn't sound better, that is the problem, the more the sound is louder, the more is dynamic-free.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 10 2008, 08:52 PM
Singing Instructor
@Dejan....yeah you are wright...I use Soundforge as well for mastering interventions...but not troug normalize option...I take EQ paragrafic option and cut or bus what I need...and then go troug Dinamics- Multiband...and bus up the whole singnall...to 1.8....and + I have Wawes L2 multimaximizer on master chanal in Nuendo.....only then when I compare the loudness with World productions songs(but it is allways Vlado Georgiev:)he is my parameter for loudness)...I am setisfied.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 10 2008, 08:56 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 10 2008, 05:46 PM) *
It doesn't sound better, that is the problem, the more the sound is louder, the more is dynamic-free.

I didn't mean Loudness sounds better I just meant it is better for a gig. I don't like being loud in recordings but when we are on stage we like it loud because people get more involved I find the louder you are. If you are of a decent level everybody is laid back and not doing anything. Up the loud factor and they are loving it and going crazy.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 10 2008, 09:24 PM
Instructor
Yeah, this is a very interesting subject. It's so annoying when you try to raise the volume on your stereo on a recording that is compressod so much that there's only a little bit of headroom and the whole thing just starts to distort. These kinds of recordings that are very much compressed may sound ok on your ipod and little headphones, but when you try to listen to it on a really good stereo system, the powerfulness and the "umph" and just isn't there. There's so little headroom that there's no place for the audio to go, and it just starts to distort when you raise the volume on your stereo system.

In a noisy enviroment, such as a mall or a workplace, a compressed and loud track can be heard better because there's really no volume differences in the track.

I read somewhere that around 70's-80's the standard amount of headroom was something like 12-10db and today it's just around 6-4db.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 10 2008, 11:27 PM
Singing Instructor
as they say...before the people needed to rise up their volume to here...now thay need tu cut down their volume to hear..smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 10 2008, 11:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Feb 11 2008, 12:27 AM) *
as they say...before the people needed to rise up their volume to here...now thay need tu cut down their volume to hear..smile.gif

+1 smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 10 2008, 08:56 PM) *
I didn't mean Loudness sounds better I just meant it is better for a gig. I don't like being loud in recordings but when we are on stage we like it loud because people get more involved I find the louder you are. If you are of a decent level everybody is laid back and not doing anything. Up the loud factor and they are loving it and going crazy.

Hey man, I didn't reply in that post before to you, I was just stating out the general fact. I agree with you. But now that you mentioned gigs, I must note something. Often gigs are too loud. Well it is all relative, but vast majority of gigs that I've listened too and played on to was too loud, practically overloaded and clipped. This is not the way it should go wouldn't you agree? The sound can be loud to a point, but then, even on gigs when too compressed it looses the dynamics. Often it is better too play with rolled off volume, and go to max only sometimes when leads and all. It is not good when a drummer beats the hell of drums and the sound comes out compressed. There always must be some headroom left for the dynamic dimension.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 09:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Sometimes when the gig is too loud you can get opposite effect - people tend to back off the stage instead being close to the band...That too should be avoided..So somewhere in between should do the trick.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 11 2008, 10:12 PM
Singing Instructor
The term "Loudness War".....is explicitly implied in music recording industry.....
Playing on satge(loudness) I think is diferent from case to case(diferend kind of music)...so if go tho the Pantera concert(if I coud only have time machine smile.gif )...I woud like to be loud as possible....but Pantera's (stiking with examplle)volume on their CD is so much under today's metall songs....and steel they hav the best metall production in the world:)..just my opinion...

This post has been edited by Nemanja: Feb 11 2008, 10:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 11 2008, 10:34 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I may well be wrong - usually am laugh.gif - but I think the term came from the rise in the recorded levels of demos and dj mixes for clubs. Basically clubbers pay more attention to 'loud' mixes - hence engineers were pushed in to increasing levels to get and keep a club's attention.

Sadly the area I do most of my work - radio production - has been sucked in to this to the extent where we now use ways of peaking and broadcasting material that is recorded loud, distorted and is over compressed and then we compress it even more.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 11 2008, 10:45 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 11 2008, 10:34 PM) *
Sadly the area I do most of my work - radio production - has been sucked in to this to

I think that every thing is suked by it smile.gif
and thanks for complete answer for the term...good knowe... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 12 2008, 01:54 AM
Instructor
laugh.gif
Very good topic Nemanja!!

When I had my first record done I gave it too a friend(good one) to do mastering.
When he was done I took it from him,played it and my ears exploded! blink.gif
I was like ..."man,it's tooo loud,why did you do it like that??"
and he said .."ohh,I thought you want it like rest of them" laugh.gif laugh.gif

So he had to make new master with bit lower power. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Muris: Feb 12 2008, 01:55 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 12 2008, 01:58 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 12 2008, 01:54 AM) *
.."ohh,I thought you want it like rest of them" laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
but he did not know that Muris was not like the others.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:24 PM