7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Nuc Pc, Anyone got any thoughts?
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2019, 01:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
Maaan, I'm envious! My PC still runs great, but it's 3 years old. I'm hoping it can last another 3 years. That seems to be the span for my PC's. Each one has lasted about 6 years so far. Maybe in 3 years I'll have money for a new one!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 19 2019, 08:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
As far as I can see,you can't switch off auto updates now, you can pause them for up to thirty days, "Ahaaaaa", I hear you say, "Just keep pausing for thirty days", once you've paused and got to the end of how ever many days you paused for, you can'r pause again until you've updated.

I will dig deeper though.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 18 2019, 10:51 PM) *
Typically, for any audio production rig, one turns off auto updates for the simple reason that one random system update can cause various parts of your computer to no longer function properly in terms of software/hardware that you use for audio productions. E.G. Windows runs and update, you sit down and turn on your daw and all of the suddent you get a few pop up warnings that your existing libraries are no longer compatible. Or one of your fave plugins will no longer load. Etc.

When a system update is released, it's a good idea to google it to see if people are having issues rleated to audio production. In pro studios updates are often done on schedule a few months behind release to allow for bug fixes and to allow time to find out what the release might break.
Then again, in pro studios the main production computer is often set as a 'stand alone"(no active connection to the internet) so that it can't get infected from the internet/web, and can't accidently update itself and break itself right before a session. A machine can still be connected to another machine via ethernet for the purpose of backup/restore, without being on the web.

However, in most home studios, the main production rig is also the main rig in genearl for games/email/brosing etc.

I don't run my main rig "Stand Alone" as I am online too often with GMC etc. So I'm very careful about updates. I have updates set to download but not install. I research each update carefully before I install it.

Todd

I'm hoping this one lasts a loooong time. I don't think audio software is getting much more demanding at the moment, it seems to have plateaued a little.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 19 2019, 12:40 PM) *
Maaan, I'm envious! My PC still runs great, but it's 3 years old. I'm hoping it can last another 3 years. That seems to be the span for my PC's. Each one has lasted about 6 years so far. Maybe in 3 years I'll have money for a new one!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 19 2019, 08:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 19 2019, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
Yup. Windows stopped letting you just click a check box a while back. They sorta force you risk wrecking the stability of your rig. However, you can do what lots off folks who use windows for audio are doing which is to dig under the hood a bit and put a stop to the windows force fed updates.
You can stop windows 10 from force fed updates. Just takes a bit of doing.
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource...lly-update.html

quote name='Phil66' date='Sep 19 2019, 03:15 PM' post='771346']As far as I can see,you can't switch off auto updates now, you can pause them for up to thirty days, "Ahaaaaa", I hear you say, "Just keep pausing for thirty days", once you've paused and got to the end of how ever many days you paused for, you can'r pause again until you've updated.

I will dig deeper though.

I'm hoping this one lasts a loooong time. I don't think audio software is getting much more demanding at the moment, it seems to have plateaued a little.

[/quote]

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 19 2019, 09:32 PM
Cheers buddy, I'll check that out smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2019, 02:02 AM
Enjoy your new rig!!!

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 19 2019, 04:32 PM) *
Cheers buddy, I'll check that out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 22 2019, 08:27 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 19 2019, 08:41 PM) *
Yup. Windows stopped letting you just click a check box a while back. They sorta force you risk wrecking the stability of your rig. However, you can do what lots off folks who use windows for audio are doing which is to dig under the hood a bit and put a stop to the windows force fed updates.
You can stop windows 10 from force fed updates. Just takes a bit of doing.
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource...lly-update.html

I'm a little worried about this, I would like to just install the security updates. I'm going to have to dig around unless anyone here knows how to do that?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 22 2019, 08:36 PM
Some links I found;

https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 23 2019, 04:41 AM
It's a pickle to be sure. Without virus/security updates, your rig is vulnerable. For most folks at home who use their primary computer for everything from audio production to email, it's not practical to turn of updates. Which is sorta why I use a mac. Macs are not immune to everything, they are just such a small part of the market, less than %10 that hackers don't create for the platoform the same way they do for windows. some mac folks don't even run virus software as the operating system itself stops anything malicious from installing typically. I run AVAST on both my macs just as a precaution. I've turned off auto updates on my mac as I've had this very issue cause problems.
There was an update os x that caused firewire support for audio interfaces to just stop working as apple was moving away from firewire. Another time, an os x update stopped my thunderbolt output from carrying video. This is a huge problem as my video out runs to my big HD monitors. Without that, I have to use the laptop screens which are quite small.
You'll probably be fine with auto updates turned on now that windows pretty much requires it in order to function and you have to really hack in to the system to stop it and then you don't get security patches. I probably should have just not mentioned the auto update thing to be honest. If you are using this new rig as your "everything" rig, then you don't have a lot of choice, sorta need updates to keep the rig secure if it's on the web.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 22 2019, 03:27 PM) *
I'm a little worried about this, I would like to just install the security updates. I'm going to have to dig around unless anyone here knows how to do that?

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 23 2019, 07:36 AM
Thanks Todd, It's not my "do everything" rig but I do need it connected to the internet to upload my videos and soundcloud etc.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 23 2019, 11:53 PM
I hear ya smile.gif Yeah, microsoft have sorta made it impossible not to do it their way.
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 23 2019, 02:36 AM) *
Thanks Todd, It's not my "do everything" rig but I do need it connected to the internet to upload my videos and soundcloud etc.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 24 2019, 06:16 AM
I can't believe how quickly this thing installs programs and renders audio /video.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 24 2019, 09:42 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 24 2019, 05:16 AM) *
I can't believe how quickly this thing installs programs and renders audio /video.

Awesome smile.gif

After installing everything needed, give it 4-5 days of use to really show its speed. Windows adjusts program opening speeds by priority system which takes a little time to figure out for the pc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2019, 06:01 AM
Getting a new rig is a wonderful thing!! That has plenty of beef for audio/video work. The SSD drive is the best upgrade I ever put in a machine. Wish I'd done it before!
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 24 2019, 01:16 AM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 3 2019, 08:25 PM
SSD is, in some cases, a better upgrade than ram.

Back to "latency". Not sure it is latency that I am sensitive to. I took it a trial of Helix Native before I came away, had to contact support because I tried it in my old rig and nothing but crackles and pops but my time limited was logged. Explained to line six and they gave me an extension.

Anyway, I just couldn't handle it, really messing with my head. Used my Helix LT on the same settings and that was the same. With Native, unless you can advise otherwise, I have to switch Reaper to "record monitor". I can't handle that slight delay, I put my LT on the same setting and it was the same. I usually use "direct monitoring" and that is pure real time, is there a way to do this with native?

I guess it would be good to have for working with a dry signal but for me that's about it I think. Maybe I didn't need this new rig.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 4 2019, 07:06 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 3 2019, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 3 2019, 07:25 PM) *

Can you try this?

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 3 2019, 08:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 3 2019, 08:25 PM) *
SSD is, in some cases, a better upgrade than ram.

Back to "latency". Not sure it is latency that I am sensitive to. I took it a trial of Helix Native before I came away, had to contact support because I tried it in my old rig and nothing but crackles and pops but my time limited was logged. Explained to line six and they gave me an extension.

Anyway, I just couldn't handle it, really messing with my head. Used my Helix LT on the same settings and that was the same. With Native, unless you can advise otherwise, I have to switch Reaper to "record monitor". I can't handle that slight delay, I put my LT on the same setting and it was the same. I usually use "direct monitoring" and that is pure real time, is there a way to do this with native?

I guess it works be good to have for working with a dry signal but for me that's about it I think. Maybe I didn't need this new rig.

Cheers

Phil

hence , back to why I am sorry I did not get mine with thunderbolt

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 3 2019, 08:57 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Oct 3 2019, 08:54 PM) *
hence , back to why I am sorry I did not get mine with thunderbolt

Do you really think it would make a huge difference?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 3 2019, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 3 2019, 07:57 PM) *

what is your reported latency wiith helix plug-in??

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 3 2019, 10:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 4 2019, 01:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 3 2019, 08:57 PM) *
I don't Know , since I don't know where your problem lies , I just know latency would not be the issue .
With Your comp specs its hard to think your computer can't handle it ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2019, 02:41 AM
Do any of your devices support thunderbolt? I see from a reply you are getting some lag on your helix plugin? What is your block/buffer/samples setting in reaper? If you can get it down to 32 samples or you should not hear any lag when playing through a plugin. Getting that setting as low as posssible is key. I don't see the original post though, so I don't get what the overall issues are. What's going wrong when you use the helix plugin? It ran perfectly on my laptop which is just a quad i7 16gb ram ssd drive.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 3 2019, 03:57 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 4 2019, 02:41 AM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:48 AM