2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Drums
Trond Vold
Dec 19 2008, 06:46 PM
Instructor
I dont think it matters much what the software is. To me the most important thing is what sound you can get out of them by using external filters, like compressors and eq's.

And if you ask me, then i would say that all the major drum vsti's sound boring and flat right out of the box. What i mean by this is that the whole drum-programming session becomes alot easier with good sound, and maybe the patterns you allready have will sound 100 times better, if that makes sense.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Dec 19 2008, 06:47 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Dec 19 2008, 07:26 PM
Singing Instructor
Well,you need to learn the basic patterns.You will do that by listening a lot of music.First you need to set the tempo up and start with the basic:Kick,Snare,Hi hat.
But if you are out of idea,some of the VST drums has there own patterns,that you can use or rearrange.I use Addictive drums.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Dec 19 2008, 07:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I agree with needing a good sound. My Double Bass Mania Samples by Beta Monkey have some killer double bass sounds and samples and plenty of patterns. And I have a good understanding of many of the stock patterns that are out there. I think where I run into problems is that I normally create my riffs etc just playing to a basic 4/4 metronome with no accent. So when I start throwing in the drum samples they seem to either go a little short or long before they repeat compared to my riff. So I either need to try to delete a beat or two or add a beat or two. And this is where I have been running into trouble. But I am starting to feel more confident about getting it done now after reading some of the comments so far.
Sometimes when I hear a great lesson or a great song that is posted on this site I am just as impressed with the drums and other instruments in the arrangement as I am with the guitar. There is so much more to learn when one starts to try and record a decent song. Its a confusing world of Audio input devices, DAW's, Mastering, EQ etc etc. Once I started trying to create songs I realized that knowing a bunch of riffs and solos is very different than putting down and recording good guitar tracks and creating great drum tracks keyboards etc etc. I recently downloaded Trons songs that he has posted on the site and I am very impressed with the arrangements and how great he makes his guitar sound by complimenting it with the other instruments. I have not looked yet to see if any of the other instructors have any songs that are available for download but I plan on checking that out soon.

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 19 2008, 07:54 PM
Instructor
I agree with Trond as well. I use Superiour Drummer 2.0 with expansions for all my work and even that sounds a bit flat straight from the box. A well compressed and EQ-ed drum is essential in the end.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 21 2008, 06:47 AM
GMC:er
Can I use any of these drum programs with audacity?

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 21 2008, 07:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
This is really some great advice smile.gif

I will try and work on this because I would love to be able to create a awesome drum track.

My bro is the drummer (go figure). I love him what can I say.

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 19 2008, 12:38 PM) *
I have EZDrums and Addictive Drums. They are both very good and full of samples.
I would usually write a riff chord progression and then search in the database of groves to find the most appropriate one for my riff. If none fit, I would edit the one thats closest to my riff by adding hits on right spots etc
Also you can search the internet for more free drum midis , but in my opinion thats a never ending story ! You can have thousands of drum midis and still not know how to use them.
So my best advice is to learn about drums. What happens with bass (kick) drum, hi hat , snare , tom toms - on which beat are these commonly used and which styles. The best practice is to transcribe drum beats of various kinds of music , and I do mean transcribe just like you transcribe guitar or any other instrument solos. You will learn a lot about drums by doing that.
Hope that helps smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:28 PM