Don't Understand Why Guitarist Does This, Please Help
shellshock1911
Nov 25 2007, 05:08 PM
GMC:er
Ok, everytime I listen to a song I try to analyze the soloes a lot and understand why a certain artist plays a certain lick over a certain chord and whatnot, well anyway I was listening to Hangar 18 today and the fourth solo dumbfounded me.

He does this arpeggio over a B minor chord.

|--19p16-------------------------------16------|
|----------18-----------------------18----------|
|--------------19-16------16-19---------------|
|----------------------18------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------|

So first of all I couldn't figure out what you would call this...the notes in it are B, Ab, F, D. Well that kinda looks like G7b9, but there is no G in that arpeggio. So, what would this be called, and why is it over B minor chord (which by the way isn't even in the key of D minor, which is the key of this song.)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 25 2007, 05:45 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
While im no theory expert, often times, especially in metal, guitarists will venture outside the key of the song to create a different sound, add a little tension, i think David did a lesson on this actually. Thats probably Friedman's solo, Ive seen him leave the key of a song before, temporarily though, in his solo stuff, and on a few Megadeth tunes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 25 2007, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Nov 25 2007, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 25 2007, 05:45 PM) *
While im no theory expert, often times, especially in metal, guitarists will venture outside the key of the song to create a different sound, add a little tension, i think David did a lesson on this actually. Thats probably Friedman's solo, Ive seen him leave the key of a song before, temporarily though, in his solo stuff, and on a few Megadeth tunes.

Yea, simply going out of key in a legato, alternate picking run or something is common, but I doubt anyone would play an out of key arpeggio over and out of key chord, it would sound really dissonant. But in this song it doesn't sound dissonant, thats why I'm trying to figure out how G7b9, or whatever it is called is related to B minor in the key of D minor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 25 2007, 05:56 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Thats a B diminished arpeggio/chord wink.gif which would sound pretty cool over a B minor chord-

I havent looked at this song in detail but i remember there being an extended solo section which is likely to have a key modulation in it somewhere- Perhaps that is why there is a B minor chord? Let us know if you crack it!

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Nov 25 2007, 05:56 PM

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Nov 25 2007, 06:14 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Nov 25 2007, 05:56 PM) *
Thats a B diminished arpeggio/chord wink.gif which would sound pretty cool over a B minor chord-

I havent looked at this song in detail but i remember there being an extended solo section which is likely to have a key modulation in it somewhere- Perhaps that is why there is a B minor chord? Let us know if you crack it!

Ah, I see now, thx! But, I think it is just him going out of key. It is like a chromatic riff which sounds good usually when out of key, the root notes are like like A-Bb-B-Bb-A-Bb-B-C-A-Bb-B, and then instead of playing A again, he just does a sixteenth note Amaj scale run or somethjing.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Nov 25 2007, 06:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 25 2007, 06:28 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Nov 25 2007, 05:14 PM) *
Ah, I see now, thx! But, I think it is just him going out of key. It is like a chromatic riff which sounds good usually when out of key, the root notes are like like A-Bb-B-Bb-A-Bb-B-C-A-Bb-B, and then instead of playing A again, he just does a sixteenth note Amaj scale run or somethjing.

I had a quick look at a tab on UG...

Yeh you can throw in a riff that assends/descends chromatically wherever in metal for a bit of flavour to the song. I wouldnt really call this out of key as it implies theyve messed up or something but it definitely doesnt belong to just one scale. For that section of the solo- he actually starts each bar/measure of the mini solo with the same note as the note in the bass of the chord/riff being played below it. When he starts that B diminshed arpeggio, the section of the riff being played below it contains a B and a D (and the second B an octave higher) so playing a B diminshed over it which like you said contains the notes B, Ab, F, D, there are no conflicting notes.

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Nov 26 2007, 05:31 PM
Also, the scales are basically guidelines for what can sound good - but not always absolute. I believe that notes outside of the scale are usually called "passing tones" - and are typically used to add tension or a little spice. The ears are always the final judgement on what works and what doesn't - regardless of the "scales" being used. =)

( Someone correct me if I'm wrong! )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 27 2007, 12:34 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Nov 26 2007, 11:31 AM) *
Also, the scales are basically guidelines for what can sound good - but not always absolute. I believe that notes outside of the scale are usually called "passing tones" - and are typically used to add tension or a little spice. The ears are always the final judgement on what works and what doesn't - regardless of the "scales" being used. =)

( Someone correct me if I'm wrong! )

You're wrong! (Only joking), I couldn't agree more - theory and scales are great to explain what you played after you played it and can even guide you, but the final truth is whether or not you think it sounds good.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 27 2007, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Nov 26 2007, 05:31 PM) *
The ears are always the final judgement on what works and what doesn't - regardless of the "scales" being used. =)

+1 smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:00 AM