Apprentice Bushido Task 18
Ben Higgins
May 26 2012, 06:30 PM
Instructor
Apprentices of The Temple Of Guitar Bushido !! Many hails to you on this fine day. I bring you the gift of your next Task...

Task 18: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/When_the_Gutiar_Cries/

I've got a slow, heavy ballad for you this week. Plenty of controlled bends with meaty vibrato to get your teeth into. I hope you're not vegetarians !! wink.gif

Don't worry if you don't use a whammy bar.. just perform normal vibrato with your hand, ok ?

There's not much else to say apart from enjoy this one and I'll give y'all something different on the next Task.

Deadline is next Saturday 2nd June or I cut off your Internet access for a week. ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 27 2012, 06:10 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
That's a great lesson. It sounds really tasteful. And I'm finally to use that whammy bar, I'm just thrilled.
Thank you Sensei Ben, it will once again be a pleasure to work on this !
À ta santé ! smile.gif

PS : thanks for the nice comment on my previous take.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by GrindGuer: May 27 2012, 06:10 PM

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 27 2012, 06:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ May 27 2012, 06:10 PM) *
PS : thanks for the nice comment on my previous take.

That's ok, just send the Donuts to the usual address ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 29 2012, 04:24 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 27 2012, 07:25 PM) *
That's ok, just send the Donuts to the usual address ! wink.gif

Yes, but for that I've got to earn some more Donuts ! That's why I've been working hard on this Task. It sounds really great. And I'm so happy to finally use my whammy bar. Here is my first attempt at full speed. Well, at least, it's the first I submit, but I must have recorded a thousand takes...
I think the guitar is a bit too loud on this one. Maybe too much delay too. Tell me.

Donut time ! biggrin.gif
http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/when-the-guitar-cries/s-SqBtQ

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 30 2012, 09:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ May 29 2012, 04:24 PM) *
Yes, but for that I've got to earn some more Donuts ! That's why I've been working hard on this Task. It sounds really great. And I'm so happy to finally use my whammy bar. Here is my first attempt at full speed. Well, at least, it's the first I submit, but I must have recorded a thousand takes...
I think the guitar is a bit too loud on this one. Maybe too much delay too. Tell me.

Donut time ! biggrin.gif
http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/when-the-guitar-cries/s-SqBtQ

Oh man, that is some sexy guitar playing ! Love the tone, vibrato and whammy usage !

Gotta be careful of hitting unwanted strings, so you could maybe utilise your picking hand to cover the lower strings from the G string up so you don't get any of those unwanted 'plonk' sounds wink.gif

I can't see how you hold your hand when you play so can't make a judgement call on that - is there anywhere with video of you ?

Oh and I almost forgot..... a Donut biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 30 2012, 05:46 PM
Here is a video I made today. Not quite ready for the REC program, but you can see my hands (and my nose too ! biggrin.gif)
Thank you Sensei.

This post has been edited by GrindGuer: May 30 2012, 05:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 30 2012, 05:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ May 30 2012, 05:46 PM) *
Here is a video I made today. Not quite ready for the REC program, but you can see my hands (and my nose too ! biggrin.gif)
Thank you Sensei.

Cool, this makes it easier to see what's going on..

Those unwanted blips seem to be the G string sounding when you release a bend. It's annoying when things like that happen. You should be able to reduce this effect by covering the G with your palm smile.gif

I forgot to answer your earlier question.. the guitar is a bit loud compared to the backing but I thought the delay was fine.

+Quote Post
zoom
Jun 2 2012, 12:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Hm not able to make it again. I'll get it up just learn't it tonight and would love a few more days to get it up. Should have a bit more time this week. Sorry. sad.gif

Great Job Grind! Donut very deserved. Your playing is very inspiring.

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 2 2012, 03:01 PM
QUOTE (zoom @ Jun 2 2012, 01:01 PM) *
Hm not able to make it again. I'll get it up just learn't it tonight and would love a few more days to get it up. Should have a bit more time this week. Sorry. sad.gif

Great Job Grind! Donut very deserved. Your playing is very inspiring.

Wow, thank you so much Zoom. I really appreciate it. If you may find yourself starving, I may share some with you wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
zoom
Jun 7 2012, 01:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Ben
Back again. Just checking that these post don't have to be perfect? I spent about maybe 4 hours on this to get it this far and will need another year to pass a rec smile.gif .
One things I'm struggling with is getting enough sustain. I have everthing cranked. oops I just realised I didn't have my tube screamer on. hmm
Another issue was I had to set up my guitar because it was set for diving bombs only and I havn't raised it up enough to get the vibrato on the last note.
Did I mention how cool this lesson is. This is what I've been wanting to achieve and always thought it was to hard. So I'm pretty stoked to be getting this far.

Oh and I forgot about switching pickups opp's

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 7 2012, 04:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Jun 7 2012, 01:05 PM) *
Hi Ben
Back again. Just checking that these post don't have to be perfect? I spent about maybe 4 hours on this to get it this far and will need another year to pass a rec smile.gif .
One things I'm struggling with is getting enough sustain. I have everthing cranked. oops I just realised I didn't have my tube screamer on. hmm
Another issue was I had to set up my guitar because it was set for diving bombs only and I havn't raised it up enough to get the vibrato on the last note.
Did I mention how cool this lesson is. This is what I've been wanting to achieve and always thought it was to hard. So I'm pretty stoked to be getting this far.

Oh and I forgot about switching pickups opp's

Oh Man, Zoom this is fantastic ! I bet you never would have considered yourself playing stuff like this not that long ago ?

But now you are ! smile.gif

When you put the vid together I'm assuming you mixed the recorded audio too ? One thing that'll make your videos sound even nicer is if you mute the audio from the camera and just use the audio you've mixed in your software, then you won't get all that plinky string noise and plectrum plucks smile.gif

Really impressed.. I like your vibrato and your bending is getting there ! I'd say a most triumphant take ! Well done biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MossRoller
Jun 16 2012, 09:49 PM
GMC:er
Enjoyed both previous takes by Zoom and GrindGuer.
It was also nice (and helpful) to see the videos.

I made 4 takes and this is the one with the least amount of bad stuff in it. unsure.gif
I wanted to avoid having too much delay but it seems like I set it way too light.

I liked that lick in VChat today although I couldn't keep up for very long. blink.gif

I'm also really digging your Open String Solo lesson, but I believe it'll take a long time before it is REC ready though.
Have a good day.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 17 2012, 11:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MossRoller @ Jun 16 2012, 09:49 PM) *
Enjoyed both previous takes by Zoom and GrindGuer.
It was also nice (and helpful) to see the videos.

I made 4 takes and this is the one with the least amount of bad stuff in it. unsure.gif
I wanted to avoid having too much delay but it seems like I set it way too light.

I liked that lick in VChat today although I couldn't keep up for very long. blink.gif

I'm also really digging your Open String Solo lesson, but I believe it'll take a long time before it is REC ready though.
Have a good day.

Way to go, Moss ! I love the resourceful approach to the ending note wink.gif

Some great vibrato happening here, I've noticed an improvement with the classical vibrato already.

For the bending, it would be cool if you're able to get the ones that bend up, slightly release by a semitone / or whole tone then push back up again. If you can get them in one go without stopping the note it will be a good addition to your bending bag of tricks smile.gif

Great tone as always !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 PM