> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Take 2: Alternate Picking Workout #4, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Ken Slocum
Feb 26 2016, 09:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #4 by Darius Wave

Hi Guys, this is my second recorded take submission. Thanks for the great feedback. I tried to take it to heart on this second submission. I have small hands, so that stretch from the third fret to the seventh fret is difficult for me. I will continue to work on the placement of my fingers so I am in the right position. I use REAPER to mix my audio and video. I also used a different tone with less reverb on this take. Thanks for the lesson and the feedback.

Links to previous attempts at this lesson:
http://guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=56663

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ken (a.k.a. starman4) sends...............................keep making music.

Ken Slocum
Fender Strat
Variax JTV-59
Line 6 AMPLIFITT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 27 2016, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Great to know you're working hard to get things done.

I have an additional advice before going to further analysis. Your pick grip. You rest your pick on the flat/print side of the index finger this way it requires more strength to efficiently hold the pick - with this grip index finger is more flexible and needs more strength to hold it tight. Most of players hold the pick on the side of index finger. It feels weird at the beginning but it becomes natural quite fast smile.gif again this will be more important once you'll skip to another levels of playing. It's very important to fix things like this at the beginning because later it's much harder to replace some bad habbits with good ones

Timming is still not perfect but day to night better then previous take.

As for small hands. It doesn't work that way. That's why there are so many exercises for stretching and similar. At the begining we all had our hand not prepared for such a stretching. It has been practised like anything else smile.gif

Look at Jazzy Lewis. Now she can tell she has small hands yet her playing skilsl are awesome smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVYAxDwzq80

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 28 2016, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Ken, I wasn't around to give feedback / grade your previous REC take and you've already uploaded another one so I'll just do this one rather than critique an old one smile.gif

Timing is a massive improvement to what you were doing previously. The only time the flow is broken is when you cut the last note of every shape short in order to prepare for the next shape. I know that we all did this whilst our hands were developing the memory to play such shapes so it's a common issue. But see if you can reduce that audible pause that you leave at the end of each phrase. This will help things sound seamless. However, it's not as big a priority as the picking itself..

As Darius said, you'll have a much easier time of it if you grip the pick between the thumb and side of your index finger, not the back of your index finger. Please check out my Beginner course where I have a whole section devoted to using the pick

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Using-a-Guitar-Pick/

Combined with Darius's lessons, we'll sort you out cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 6 2016, 06:43 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Good job with this new take! I can notice that your timing is better on this one so it means that you are on the right track with your practice. The notes are sounding clear and your hands are in sync.

I think that putting your left hand thumb a bit downer will help for bigger stretches so I recommend you to check the original lesson and pay attention to how Darius uses his left hand thumb. This finger is fundamental to have more strength but also to be able to play bigger stretches even when having smaller hands.

Besides this, it also a good moment to try to make your left hand movements the smaller possible, and keep fingers closer to the fret board when quitting them. This is not an issue now but it can be a problem if you want to play faster licks.

That's all by now, keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 8 2016, 12:17 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:04 PM