3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Fast Fret Or Olive Oil? You Make The Choice.
fkalich
Dec 9 2007, 01:18 AM
GMC:er
Yesterday some advised using GHS Fast Fret. Stores were closed, by my highly refined instincts told me "why not use Olive Oil". And it seemed to work wonderfully. I went to the guitar store today and bought some Fast Fret for $6.60. What a rip off! This tiny amount in the much bigger container. GHS saw me coming.

Now on researching this, I find that my instincts were correct, here is a fellow talking about using Olive Oil.

http://www.fingerpicking-guitarist.com/Art...Guitar_Neck/31/

From now on, I listen to my instincts. I can also assure you, the Olive Oil is much slicker than fast fret. Fast fret uses mineral oil, but don't try that, you can't be sure what is added to mineral oil that you buy, play it safe, and do as those in the know do, only use Virgin Olive Oil, both on your guitar, and also in Salads.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Dec 9 2007, 01:22 AM
Get to da Chopper!
I dont think Fast Fret does what it implies, but definatley brings a new life to the strings without having to restring.

Helps bends and vibrato a bit also i find.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2007, 01:27 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I haven't tried Olive Oil , and I use fast fret mainly for cleaning the strings..And the price for it is double here in my country..I don't think its a rip off because it lasts a long time...Easily for 1-2 months...Fast fret saved a lot of money for me not buying new strings all the time.. wink.gif But there are more strings cleaners out there, if here would come someone who tried them..I think dunlop makes one in tube - you put it on cloth and wrap it around the string and clean it that way..

@deep roots :

Well it makes strings much more greasy so there is less friction with your fingers..I see a big difference between regular strings and ones with applied fast fret(in some theory I can play easier with the the thing on - my fingers don't stick to the strings)..But personally I don't like to have it on all the time (greasy feeling) and use it mainly to clean the strings...

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 9 2007, 01:32 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2007, 01:54 AM
Instructor
For me 1 Fastfret lasts for 5-6 months now and it definately saves me at least 2 string sets in that time. Not to mention the strings have better sound and are cleaner all the time. It is not a rip off.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 9 2007, 02:18 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 8 2007, 06:54 PM) *
For me 1 Fastfret lasts for 5-6 months now and it definately saves me at least 2 string sets in that time. Not to mention the strings have better sound and are cleaner all the time. It is not a rip off.

I have tried both, Olive Oil works as well That one guy I referenced is not the only one to say that. All fast fret is, is mineral oil. Nothing whatever special about it. Just not necessary, that is my point. For those reading, if you research, you will find you have something that works just as well or better in your kitchen. Olive oil is unique among oils, has the properties that make it work perfectly for this purpose. Pay for official mineral oil, or use unofficial olive oil (I think is works better, easier to apply, and have tired both). I'm done.

edit: almost done. just to be careful, in case anyone out there is as wacky as me and you are convinced. don't use mineral oil. true, that is what fast fret is. but the mineral oil you buy in a grocery store may have something else added to it. now I am done.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 9 2007, 02:24 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 9 2007, 02:34 AM
Instructor
I use Fast Fret and find it really cool,gives longer life to strings indeed.
And if you look what it contains,parafine oil is main thing,maybe I spelled this wrong wink.gif

So you can use oil with or without Fast Fret,
nut oil,olive oil,even lemon oil,good choices.

Then you can put some oil into Fast Fret when it dries,
save few bucks wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Dec 9 2007, 02:40 AM
I actually use fast fret at the moment.I havent ever tryed olive oil though.I think fast fret works well and definatly saves you some money going through new strings less quick

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2007, 02:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 9 2007, 02:34 AM) *
Then you can put some oil into Fast Fret when it dries,
save few bucks wink.gif

THats some interesting advice. I`ll try it to see if it works smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2007, 03:19 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
It says it contains white mineral oil..But also there is no official ingredients list on it..I think there is more stuff in it surly...Thats the manufactures secret (Like Coca Cola) smile.gif wink.gif

But also I respect your discovery and I'm sure it works like you stated, Fkalich...SO its now up to the taste and adventures spirit of the consumer itself wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 9 2007, 03:19 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 9 2007, 03:37 PM
Instructor
I went to a music shop for fast fret recently, but they didn't have it on stock so I bought D'Andrea String Cleaner and Lubricant, so far so good smile.gif

And HERE you can find various stuff for guitar care wink.gif

This post has been edited by Dejan: Dec 9 2007, 03:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 9 2007, 03:58 PM
Lets go fishing!
I have never heard of "fast fret" or putting anything on your strings before! ohmy.gif I may try the Olive Oil trick! wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Understudy
Dec 9 2007, 04:01 PM
I would be inclined to use lemon oil or tung oil. I use both of these for regular oiling and cleaning of my koa guitar body and neck, also use lemon oil on the fretboard. I would be curious to know if the acid in olive oil would damage the fretboard ? If not good find for sure, lemon oil is fairly cheap and the bottle lasts for years, tung oil is a little pricey and it does go bad. If not used in a brief amount of time , tung oil will coagulate and get very thick and unusable.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2007, 06:17 PM
Instructor
Theres acid in the olive oil? I though there is acid only in lemon oil..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 9 2007, 06:32 PM
I never used anything to clean my strings. Are you sure Olive Oil works? I don't want to have to restring my whole guitar...

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
lefty01
Dec 9 2007, 06:55 PM
Hi.
I think your idea is great, I'm going to try it myself. Ok, how much, and how do I apply the olive oil?
Thanks.
ps: Ernie Ball makes a wipe for the body ,the strings, and the fretboard. I have used the body and fretboard polish. Both seem to work fine. They come in a little container...they are like baby wipes, but pre-moistened to clean/polish. Anyone else use them?

This post has been edited by lefty01: Dec 9 2007, 06:58 PM

+Quote Post
Tmas
Dec 9 2007, 07:22 PM
I got this stuff called Lizard Spit from a local music store. Works pretty well as a string cleaner/lube but it also has Orange oil. This is the only stuff I have ever tried but it seems to work well for me.

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?

+Quote Post
Rodnator
Dec 13 2007, 12:15 AM
I guess I'm an old dog that has lived under a rock, because up until my relationship with GMC began, I had not been aware of this product called fast fret or olive oil for this purpose. I can see the benefits, but am afraid of doing damage to my precious axes. How is this applied, how much do you use, can it damage the fret board. does it leave a greasy feeling on your fingers?

--------------------
Electric Guitars : Gibson Les Paul Standard "Raw Power", Fender American Deluxe HSS QMT Stratocaster
Acoustic Guitars : Ovation 1771 LX Balladeer
Effects : Digitech Jammer Looper, Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory, Boss DD-3 delay, Keeley Modded Boss DS-1, Keeley Modded TS-808 Tube Screamer, Keeley compressor, Dunlop CryBaby Wah.
Amps : 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 50 watt Head (all original unmodified Electronics, Complete cosmetic restoration) It is the "Tone of the Gods" 1982 Marshall 1960a JCM 800 4x12 Slant Cabinet

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 13 2007, 12:29 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Rodnator @ Dec 12 2007, 11:15 PM) *
I guess I'm an old dog that has lived under a rock, because up until my relationship with GMC began, I had not been aware of this product called fast fret or olive oil for this purpose. I can see the benefits, but am afraid of doing damage to my precious axes. How is this applied, how much do you use, can it damage the fret board. does it leave a greasy feeling on your fingers?

Well I read this thread previously, I`d heard of fast fret but thought it was a gimik type of thing, a friend of mine had some but never really used it so I never bothered from there.

After a different thread saying about fast fret and how many people used it and recomended it I decided I ought to give it a go, however it was quite late and obviously no shops open so I thought I`d give the olive oil thing a go, I just used a peice of kitchen paper and poured a very tiny amount of olive oil onto it, gave it a little sniff (like ya do laugh.gif ) coz I wondered if it would make my hands stink, but no real smell to it in fairness, then I gently rubbed the cloth down the strings, just very lightly, then with a clean cloth wiped off any excess (there wasnt much) too my suprise it really did work rather well, certainly made sliding up and down the strings a hell of a lot easier, it took me a bit of getting used to at first, a totally different feel, but once i got used to it it was ok. I`m not sure that I`ll carry on with olive oil I`m not sure I`ll want to be rubbing it all over my new guitars fretboard (when t comes), I think I`ll invest in the fast fret, just seemed odd putting olive oil onto the strings laugh.gif

I would however add that everything I touched after playing had an olive oil fingerprint on it lol!!

This post has been edited by Smells: Dec 13 2007, 12:30 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 13 2007, 12:40 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 9 2007, 11:17 AM) *
Theres acid in the olive oil? I though there is acid only in lemon oil..

correct. don't just lemon oil, or anything normally used to polish furniture. olive oil is safe. always be careful with stuff like this. for example I mentioned that fast fret is made from mineral oil. and if you buy actual mineral oil, you will see that it says 99.9% mineral oil as active ingredient. however, they are less overt about the inactive ingredients, and those might be there is high concentration, and damagine.

but olive oil is safe. you can read on internet and find how many guys have used it for decades. it has qualities that keep it from getting yucky, other cooking oils might get. I just rubbed it into the strings. it is pretty slick. I think I like it better than fast fret. but both are fine.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 13 2007, 01:11 AM
Instructor
Just read my mind,I have small bottle of lemon oil
which I use to refill Fast Fret here and there. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:41 AM