Power Chords
J.E.
Dec 7 2008, 08:02 PM
GMC:er
Hi im wondering whats the secret behind the playing of bands like Black Sabbath and Motorhead(and alot of other bands) Do they only use power chords? Or do they use these advanced "super chords"?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Can you imagine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Canis
Dec 7 2008, 08:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
I know Sabbath uses a lot of powerchords.. The Iron Man riff for example, is entirely powerchords... Atleast the version I know tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Dec 7 2008, 08:25 PM
yah they use a lot of powerchords bt you do not want to stick to just powerchords. Yes sometimes simple is better but I do not think they were going for simple as much as powerful. I do not know if that makes any sense haha

--------------------

+Quote Post
J.E.
Dec 7 2008, 08:29 PM
Im actually finding it very hard to play standard, im trying to explore open tunings. I especially favour the open d tuning as a matter of fact open strings in general smile.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 11 2008, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by super chords, but if you want to learn what I would call advanced power chords, listen to Rush and Dream Theater. Petrucci and Lifeson both combine open strings with interesting voicings that are extremely full sounding. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 11 2008, 10:01 AM
QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Dec 7 2008, 08:02 PM) *
Hi im wondering whats the secret behind the playing of bands like Black Sabbath and Motorhead(and alot of other bands) Do they only use power chords? Or do they use these advanced "super chords"?

Lots of P5 and P4 intervals.
Black sabbath has alot of diminished progressions, which makes it sound weirder.

About your super chords, I'll give you a quick lesson.

Say Cmaj7add9

This may sound really hard, but look at it this way.

Cmaj (ionian) scale.

C D E F G A B C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

A basic triad is 1 3 5 note. + 7th, +9th, which is the octave of 2.

so when you look at the scale chart, a Cmaj7add9 is very easily made:

C (1) E (maj3) G (p5) B (maj7) D (maj9, or 2nd octave)

Hope this gave you some insight. it's really easy when you know to count higher than 10+know the scale. smile.gif

QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Dec 7 2008, 08:29 PM) *
Im actually finding it very hard to play standard, im trying to explore open tunings. I especially favour the open d tuning as a matter of fact open strings in general smile.gif

Learn your theory before venturing onto those seas. It'll make your research harder. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 11 2008, 04:22 PM
power chords can be as easy or complex you make them....i think power chords just refers to chords that are easy to strum...and hit hard of course

you can easily make diminished sounds, weird sounds, 7th sounds, minor sounds, major sounds....its just what you do with the 3 notes you play

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:06 PM