Article About "direct Mounting" Your Pickups
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2012, 10:34 PM
GMC:er
Not to say that this is the "Best" approach, or that it's right for everyone/thing. Whew, disclaimer over! smile.gif This is a really good article on direct mounting your pickups (straight in to the wood instead of using a mounting system/pick guard approach)
I'm partial to this method but that's just me. I'm sure some folks would find it doesn't work for them for whatever reason.

As I read this I noticed the same tone improvements vs guitars I've played that were not direct mounted. I play a lot of fairly high gain/loads of picking stuff which works well with direct mounting. Both of my Ibanez as well as my Fretlight are direct mounted.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/setups/why-direct-mount/

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 13 2012, 11:40 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I have mine direct mounted, simply because it requires less height to keep the same output and clarity. At least thats what I hear with my specific guitar. The difference is pretty subtle, so in the end you probably wouldn't notice the difference, actually Ill say that you cant notice the difference, from a good mix from say, a favorite band or something. Its just something to make you more at east I guess.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2012, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 13 2012, 06:40 PM) *
I have mine direct mounted, simply because it requires less height to keep the same output and clarity. At least thats what I hear with my specific guitar. The difference is pretty subtle, so in the end you probably wouldn't notice the difference, actually Ill say that you cant notice the difference, from a good mix from say, a favorite band or something. Its just something to make you more at east I guess.

I gotta say It seems to have more of an impact than just being cosmetic or putting one at ease, or so it seems to my ears smile.gif Notes seem more resonant, plucky, etc. As the guy says in the article. He really articulates it well.

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 14 2012, 12:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
I was just about to modify my Parker Nitefly, currently S-S-H, to H-H (thus replacing the neck and middle single coil, with just a neck Gibson 335 paf pickup) and I sent that article to my guitar guy to see what he thinks.

I mainly play funk, but I also have to get shreddy mc'freddy with EMULATOR. But I'm very interested to give it a try! Anything that gets my tone closer to the true resonance of the strings, and potentially adds sustain...and I LOVE it!

Thanks Todd! Saw this on FB earlier today.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2012, 02:26 AM
QUOTE (derper @ Aug 13 2012, 07:45 PM) *
I was just about to modify my Parker Nitefly, currently S-S-H, to H-H (thus replacing the neck and middle single coil, with just a neck Gibson 335 paf pickup) and I sent that article to my guitar guy to see what he thinks.

I mainly play funk, but I also have to get shreddy mc'freddy with EMULATOR. But I'm very interested to give it a try! Anything that gets my tone closer to the true resonance of the strings, and potentially adds sustain...and I LOVE it!

Thanks Todd! Saw this on FB earlier today.

Thanks for checking it out smile.gif Best of luck on your Parker Mods! The PAF is a great choice imho due to the Alnico magnets. Seymour duncan makes an updated version of the paf you might check out.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/elec...9_model_sh1_an/

and they make a hot rodded version that looks spiff which uses Alnico 8 instead of Alnico 5 magnets.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/elec...lternative_8_s/

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 14 2012, 04:41 AM
In my first failed attempt to learn to play guitar (out of high school years ago) I got a guitar with direct mounted pickups. Actually at that time I owned many guitars, top brands, I would keep buying them and trading them in for something different. Anyway direct mounting is nothing new. And if it was something of great advantage and importance to direct mount, I am pretty sure that people would have figured that out long before now.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 13 2012, 06:05 PM) *
I gotta say It seems to have more of an impact than just being cosmetic or putting one at ease, or so it seems to my ears smile.gif Notes seem more resonant, plucky, etc. As the guy says in the article. He really articulates it well.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 14 2012, 04:42 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2012, 07:51 PM
It's as old as electric guitars themselves actually smile.gif So yeah, it's been around since they started mounting pickups. The point of the article was just to share perspective on direct vs non direct mounting. The stuff the guy is saying is stuff that folks (yours truly included) did in fact "figure out way before now" smile.gif The author is simply articulating it in a simple and direct way which is why I shared it. I've noticed the same things in playing that he is describing for years.

But the differences are subtle. So for most students, starting out, to direct mount or not is almost a moot point. Just something to consider as you grow in your tone journey.

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 13 2012, 11:41 PM) *
In my first failed attempt to learn to play guitar (out of high school years ago) I got a guitar with direct mounted pickups. Actually at that time I owned many guitars, top brands, I would keep buying them and trading them in for something different. Anyway direct mounting is nothing new. And if it was something of great advantage and importance to direct mount, I am pretty sure that people would have figured that out long before now.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 15 2012, 12:14 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think by the end of your guitar signal, after its gone through the amp, pedals, effects, EQ, and is sitting in a full mix, the difference is completely negligible. Its one of those things people do thinking it will be more impacting than it is, and trick themselves into hearing more out of it. And by the time its in a mix, they find they are still having the same issues.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2012, 12:19 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 14 2012, 07:14 PM) *
I think by the end of your guitar signal, after its gone through the amp, pedals, effects, EQ, and is sitting in a full mix, the difference is completely negligible. Its one of those things people do thinking it will be more impacting than it is, and trick themselves into hearing more out of it. And by the time its in a mix, they find they are still having the same issues.

I'm sure that's possible. But having tested it myself, with someone else playing the bits, I can hear a real difference especially on picking. But just because I can hear it doensn't mean everyone can or would care either way. Then again, my ears are really tuned on pick strikes. Again, as I said, for most folks, it's just abstract. But for some it's (like me and the guy that wrote the article) It's important link in the chain.

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Aug 15 2012, 04:15 AM
Instructor
Yes, imo, this difference itn't a myth, I like direct mount too!
Also it looks really cool! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Max Sokolov: Aug 15 2012, 04:16 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2012, 04:29 PM
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Aug 14 2012, 11:15 PM) *
Yes, imo, this difference itn't a myth, I like direct mount too!
Also it looks really cool! smile.gif

It really does depend on ones ears as some folks honestly can tell no perceptible difference. But then again, I"ve been recording guitars for quite a while and listening very closely with decent studio monitors and head phones so I"m really picky. For most folks it's probably a non issue. But for me, yeah, mounting the pickup to the wood just enhances the tone. I'm not sure if it's acoustic coupling, or what, but the resonance is audible vs non direct. I do like non direct mounted for jazzy / clean stuff as they sound a bit less woody. But for higher gain stuff, mounted is for me smile.gif

But like I always say there isn't a best way, STEVE VAI doesn't direct mount and he gets killer tone. But for me, I really prefer direct mount. Here is a fine example smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 15 2012, 05:12 PM
Instructor
Very nice article! I use to do it with my guitars! And it changed sound so much more sustain and the wood was just sounding amazing!!!! Thank you ver much for sharing!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:57 AM