Why did you start to play guitar??
RIP Dime
Oct 5 2006, 04:21 PM
GMC:er
I'm curious to the reason why you guys play guitar, and I thought this would be a cool thread :wink:

Personally, I love music, mostly Heavy Metal, but I love lots of different types of music; Rock and Roll, Blues, Jazz, even stuff like Hogaku(Japanese music), classical, opera, and all types of ethnic music. But don't get me wrong I'm a die-hard Metal fan.
But I was always scared to play guitar, I had played Ukulele before, and I sucked at it( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele ). It just looked so hard... :shock then I went to my first concert, with a legendary guitar players....Lynyrd Skynyrd!!! Gary Rossington and Rickey Medlocke were amazing. It was so surreal when they played Free Bird, I couldn't believe it, I just stood there like an idiot smiling biggrin.gif I got a strong feeling I had to play guitar. And after that and the death of Dimebag Darrel, I was almost forced to play guitar(by who? I do not know...God? :wink: ), I didn't want to at the time though(again, I was scared), so I bought a bass. It didn't work out, I wanted to be able to just pick up an instrument and play a song for someone. The guitar was perfect for that...so I picked up the guitar with the hope of one day being able to play in front of an audience and give them the feeling I got at the Skynyrd concert.
So there it is, kinda cheesy, but it's the truth.

So what about you guys?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Red Tie
Oct 5 2006, 06:41 PM
To put it simple, my dad has been a musician for about fourty years, i'm under the influence you could say.
And i'm not one of them, like you, who just you know, experienced some kickass guitarist and felt like "wow, i wanna be just like him".
I don't know whetever that's something good or the opposite, 'cuz maybe you'll need a kickstart to feel peckish for playing all days.

My goal is to, with my guitar, entertain people, and i'll hold on to that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Oct 6 2006, 01:36 AM
I wouldn't say that I saw Skynyrd and wanted to be just like them. That concert made me realise how awesome it would be to actually be a musicain. It was a series of things that gradually made me want to buy a guitar. It was mostly my love of music that ultimately made me play guitar.
And I don't think there is a "better" reason to play guitar, everybody has thier own reason, and none is better than the other. I just don't like it when kids play just because everbody else is doing it >:< alot of people do that at my school, and they all buy the same guitar!! laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
psychoguitarist_...
Oct 6 2006, 07:05 AM
From: Bangalore, Karnataka, India, Asia (in case u don't know where India is)
I never liked music until about 2003 (I should kick myself for that). Then, my brother introduced me to the world of Metallica, and I watched a metallica concert on t.v!!!! When I saw Kirk Hammett play, and the fans cheerin....... I had a feeling that I should learn to play the guitar and MELT SOME FACES!!!!!
And after that, every night I still dream of becomin a role model for thriving guitarists all around the world......... if Kirk can do it...... why can't I ?????? Then I read some history about Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Eddy Van Halen, Kirk Hammett and Cliff Burton and that inspired me to become a great guitarist. I wanna do it not b'coz of the money, or the fame........ i wanna do it coz it's all about the music!!!!!!!! Music is life.........

--------------------
R.I.P (RoCk In PeAcE) \m/

IPB Image

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Oct 6 2006, 07:13 AM
QUOTE (psychoguitarist_619)
I wanna do it not b'coz of the money, or the fame........ i wanna do it coz it's all about the music!!!!!!!! Music is life.........

I couldn't agree with that more.
m/

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
dendavid
Oct 6 2006, 09:49 AM
yes,i think music is a life style for me
ever since i was a little boy i had to be busy with music
been in a few bands as lead-singer but felt i wanted more
then a bit later i met some new friends and one off them played the guitar
thought it sounded so cool and something i wanted also to learn
ever since i wanted to learn to play too and started to listen to bands like metallica,zz-top,jimi hendrix,clapton,bb-king,srv...etc they're all great influences to me i guess
and i play couse i enjoy it so much,not for the money or fame..

+Quote Post
redsoxfan92490
Oct 6 2006, 10:35 PM
when i was about 10 i saw an Eric Clapton doin his thing, Jammin away to Layla. now that i rememer, that concert was on PBS. ha. that inspired me to become a guitarist, and eventually to try to become a real blues guitarist.

+Quote Post
Luciferi
Oct 16 2006, 01:22 PM

This post has been edited by Luciferi: Apr 6 2010, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Oct 16 2006, 01:40 PM
I was interested in music very young, I had a transister radio and kept song lists by age 10.
I started guitar at age 13, with a brand new electric beginner guitar that was $35.00 new. I had to save my own money to pay for it. I made about $5.00 a week on my paper route back then.
...I just wanted to be like my idols, -all the guys in the bands that were popular at the time! :>
Now, it's a hobby for me. laugh.gif
I still play regularly with the same bass player from over 30 years, we were about 14 when we formed our first band. :smoke

+Quote Post
Cheep
Oct 17 2006, 10:41 AM
Played flute at school when I was young, like a lot of children.

Then I played "Tambourine" (I dont no if it's the right word for it) in a "brass band" (I doesn't no the right word again..).

(In the front of the picture, if you have the right word for it ! ^^)

Master Tambourine (It means just "soloing tambourine"..)

I tryied other instruments like Saxophone, Drums and played also Tri Tom.

One day, in a big television, Cd's (and stuff like that) shop I saw a concert, on a TV. A man, playing guitar like the devil, and his band playing blues, in Dallas. I remained in front of it until the concert finishes. Amazing.

A few days later I take my money and buy my first guitar, thanks to Mister Stevie Ray Vaughan.

That's it :wink:

(My father listened to Toto, Led Zep, Pink F. & Co, always the same names which are coming back, strange.. ^^)

Flo

+Quote Post
adam1302
Nov 7 2006, 06:49 AM
I got my guitar about 5 years ago but just sat in my room and never got played untill i heard jimi hendrix at my friends house. The song was crosstown trafic i hendrix so much because he could make the guitar talk and the the sound is hard to explain. Then i started playing guitar agian and bought all jimi hendrix albums and have learnt most of his songs. Hey joe being the song i like to play the most i learnt it off freelicks.

adam/

This post has been edited by adam1302: Nov 7 2006, 06:56 AM

+Quote Post
Ries
Nov 7 2006, 06:25 PM
After being exposed to Guitar driven music for my entire Youth I started to grow an interest for Electric guitar playing.
But the moment I decided to really pick up the instrument and try to be a guitarist came when I was introduced to Guns N' Roses, After seeing and hearing Slash play in numerous songs and live videos I was hooked.

+Quote Post
DranoMax
Nov 7 2006, 10:58 PM
From: I'm not telling! But it is in the US. In Utah. Near Cedar City.
QUOTE (Ries @ Nov 7 2006, 06:25 PM) *
After seeing and hearing Slash play in numerous songs and live videos I was hooked.

I have to agree with Ries, Slash is definatley my main influence hearing how different his sound was from everyone. Same thing with Beck, he greatly inspired me to songrwrite. And that's why I started to play guitar, well that and to meet girls.

--------------------
People make mistakes, that's why guns have bullets.

+Quote Post
paperclip
Nov 14 2006, 08:50 AM
For myself, music expresses emotions that I am unable to express--It gives me an emotional level of expression. It also reminds me often that nothing in life is easy and you can always make yourself better, by invention and reinvention. Music for me is the process of creation and recreation.

You could be thinking that this is a load of crap; but I work with computers for a living and it is nice after a long stressfull day of pretending that all is right with the world to be able to crank up the amp and blast out a few obnoxious chords. I can express anger, distress, sadness, and excitement with a few strums of the strings.

I know I will never be a "rock star" and I don't want to be. I started playing because of all the above reasons, and I did so because I needed some sort of expression. I love reading all the different reasons people do things, and all so very different. wink.gif

-R

+Quote Post
aenemated
Dec 2 2006, 06:32 AM
my story's kinda interesting.

my oldest brother (11 years my senior) is an amazing guitar player. when i was a little kid - like 6 years old - his room was in the basement of our house. when i was supposed to be going to bed; i could hear him in the basement playing through the air vents in the house. my mom tells me she used to come in my room and find me asleep on the floor by the air vent; listening to him play. so i got hooked on music early.

fast forward to when i was about 15 or 16, a friend of mine sold me his crappy acoustic guitar for like 20 bucks and i started noodling around with what was cool at the time (pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden, etc). about a month after i started, another buddy of mine - who had started playing maybe 6 months earlier - told me he was starting a band and that he had everything except a drummer. so he was like "dude, you should learn to play drums and be in the band!"

at the time, being in a band was like the coolest thing in the world to me; so i totally jumped on it. i had saved some money working my summer job and went out and bought a super crappy drumkit and learned to play.

i progressed pretty quickly and became a pretty decent drummer (if i do say so myself smile.gif) and basically that's all i did for about the next 12 or 13 years (i'm 29 now) through god knows how many bands and styles. but i always kept a guitar around to play around with - particularly after i graduated high school and moved out of my parent's house and into dorms/apartments where playing drums just wasn't an option. so i had a basic understanding, knew some songs and some chords, etc. just never put the real time in to "get good."

after i quit my last band (as a drummer) ... i kinda realized i was burnt out on drums for the time being and that i'd start to focus more seriously on guitar. that was about a year and a half ago ... and here i am now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:40 PM