2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Advice On Amps Needed
Skewlbuzz
Mar 23 2010, 02:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I need an amp for home, band practice and small gigs. Money isn't my biggest concern, value for them however is. A decent budget around 1600euros, so no Mesa Boogie for me tongue.gif

I play mostly covers, so versatility is a must. That being said, many of my favourite guitarists use Marshall and I simply love that trademark crunchy and screaming distortion.
What I've been looking at is 2x12 combos below 50W, since more seems like overkill to me. I know these "big" combos are a pain to carry, but a half stack would still be worse wink.gif

Models I've been looking at:

Blackstar HT Stage 60
Marshall JVM205C
Blackstar Series One 45

When the Stage 60 was unveiled at NAMM I was almost certain I would buy this one, but now that it's out I'm a bit more sceptical. This is the cheaper choice, so do you think it can even compete with others? I generally don't like spending on second best options that will eventually get replaced.

About the Marshall, is the tonal variation between same models really becoming that much of a problem today? Don't wanna get my hands on a crappy one huh.gif

The Series One 45 is at the moment on the top of my list. It has great versatility and the ability to set power to any value in the 4.5-45W range is something I could definately use. And the Blackstar guys being Marshall "dropouts" I expect them to be able to create a similar distortion. Only problem is it's a bit more expensive too, for only 200euros more I could get myself a JVM410H with a 1960A cab..

Well, as the topic states, I need some help to decide.

Here's a few guitarists to give you an idea of what kinda tones I'm looking for: Tom Morello, Matthew Bellamy, Joe Satriani, David Gillmour, Buckethead, Randy Rhoads, Slash etc... You get the idea.

Which amps would you guys recommend for me?

I will of course try out as many amps I can, but most likely won't be able to test the Blackstars (Local shop only has the Artisan range).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Skewlbuzz: Mar 23 2010, 02:20 PM

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 23 2010, 02:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
I vote for the Marshall JVM 410 obviously, there is almost any tone in there and certainly the ones you want!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 23 2010, 02:44 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd get two amps. One for home and one for pratice and gigs.
Why not go Blackstar all the way? a HT 5 for home and one of the HT Venue's for practice + gigs?

That's what I would treat myself with if I were on the hunt for now gear today. cool.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 23 2010, 02:45 PM
Learning Roadie
I also would get the Marshall. I've heard plenty of good about those Blackstars, but IMO if you want a marshall sound, get a marshall. Doesn't get much better than a Vintage Modern to me though, you may want to check that out too.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 23 2010, 03:15 PM
Instructor
nothing sounds like a marshall, if you like the marshall tone like me wink.gif.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Mar 23 2010, 03:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 23 2010, 02:44 PM) *
I'd get two amps. One for home and one for pratice and gigs.
Why not go Blackstar all the way? a HT 5 for home and one of the HT Venue's for practice + gigs?

That's what I would treat myself with if I were on the hunt for now gear today. cool.gif

Yeah, I've considered that too, but the price of these 2 amps together is nearly that of the Series One 45. So I don't think I will gain anything from it (apart from having 2 cool amps happy.gif).

I vote for the Marshall JVM 410 obviously, there is almost any tone in there and certainly the ones you want!

How is it a low volumes? 100W and 4x12 might be too much for me smile.gif

Forgot to mention I live in a small-ish apartment.

I also would get the Marshall. I've heard plenty of good about those Blackstars, but IMO if you want a marshall sound, get a marshall. Doesn't get much better than a Vintage Modern to me though, you may want to check that out too.

I'll check it out. Looks simple, and that's usaully good, but might lack some versatility becasue of it.

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 23 2010, 03:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
Too loud for an apartement but so is the 50 watt JVM... No tube amp sounds to it's full potential at low volumes and it wears out the tubes faster too!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 23 2010, 03:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Mar 23 2010, 02:18 PM) *
I need an amp for home, band practice and small gigs. Money isn't my biggest concern, value for them however is. A decent budget around 1600euros, so no Mesa Boogie for me tongue.gif

I play mostly covers, so versatility is a must. That being said, many of my favourite guitarists use Marshall and I simply love that trademark crunchy and screaming distortion.
What I've been looking at is 2x12 combos below 50W, since more seems like overkill to me. I know these "big" combos are a pain to carry, but a half stack would still be worse wink.gif

Models I've been looking at:

Blackstar HT Stage 60
Marshall JVM205C
Blackstar Series One 45

When the Stage 60 was unveiled at NAMM I was almost certain I would buy this one, but now that it's out I'm a bit more sceptical. This is the cheaper choice, so do you think it can even compete with others? I generally don't like spending on second best options that will eventually get replaced.

About the Marshall, is the tonal variation between same models really becoming that much of a problem today? Don't wanna get my hands on a crappy one huh.gif

The Series One 45 is at the moment on the top of my list. It has great versatility and the ability to set power to any value in the 4.5-45W range is something I could definately use. And the Blackstar guys being Marshall "dropouts" I expect them to be able to create a similar distortion. Only problem is it's a bit more expensive too, for only 200euros more I could get myself a JVM410H with a 1960A cab..

Well, as the topic states, I need some help to decide.

Here's a few guitarists to give you an idea of what kinda tones I'm looking for: Tom Morello, Matthew Bellamy, Joe Satriani, David Gillmour, Buckethead, Randy Rhoads, Slash etc... You get the idea.

Which amps would you guys recommend for me?

I will of course try out as many amps I can, but most likely won't be able to test the Blackstars (Local shop only has the Artisan range).

i have a laney, they say it is a poor mans marshall, but it has never dissapointed , only impressed
many threads people have been looking for combos and IMO if you buy a combo ,it needs to have a closed back to bring out the bass tones in metal. See if you can compare this and can hear the difference

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Mar 23 2010, 03:48 PM

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Mar 23 2010, 04:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
My Laney Vh100R is the most versatile amplifier I have ever tried, and I love the tone. Best amp ever smile.gif It's loud, but you can actually use a FX loop return level as an attentuator! So you can have great tone at bedroom levels, no problem smile.gif

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Mar 24 2010, 02:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for your replies. Will go to the store tomorrow and see if I can get them to order some amps for me to try. smile.gif

To be continued.. ohmy.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 24 2010, 03:09 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I can vouch for the Marshall Vintage Modern as well, as I used to own the 50W head and matching 4x12 Cab.
To be hones I'm thinking about buying the very same amp again, as I too need a bigger amp for practice smile.gif

It sounds AWESOME, but needs a distortion pedal if you're gonna play metal!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2010, 12:53 AM
Instructor
My recommendation for you is to get a decent head, and a good 212 cab with it. 212 combo is very heavy, and you cannot lift and carry it yourself. Even if you can, you risk serious injury. It's much better to go 2 turns from house-car carrying 15Kg load, then to go at once and lift and carry 30Kg load.
Also, with head, you get ability not to carry the cab if you have one on the playing place. One more important thing is that the separate cab is usually closed and has better bass response, while the combos usually feature an open backed cab, which is OK for some things, like sound dispersion, but the bass response usually suffers.
Also, pay special attention to the cab and the speakers, these are VERY important part of the tone. Good cab can mean a world difference, so first buy the head (any head you like, can be JVM for example), and then browse for cabs. I specially advise that you check out 1936 marshall cab, I have one, and I'm more than satisfied on it's size and tone. You can swap speakers if you don't like them, they come with G75T's by default, or with V30s in the 1936V cab. I personally dislike both of these speakers, since 75 has shrill top end, while the V30 is too honky and bright for my taste. Matching the head sound response with the cab one will be one of the smarter investments you have made as far as your tone goes.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 25 2010, 12:55 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 25 2010, 10:01 PM
Instructor
Is that ozzy in your avatar pic?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Mar 25 2010, 11:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Went to the store today. They didn't have any of the amps at the moment, but were getting some JVM's soon.

Also they most likely won't be ordering any Blackstars home since they've had no luck selling their Artisans sad.gif For the same reason I could get the 100W Artisan head for a steal, but the matching cab had just been sold 'cause they just wanted to get rid of it.

So I guess I'll have to put my amp search on a hold... Wanna test out all the options before I make my final dicision.

Hmm anyone know about nice Swedish/German stores close to Denmark? Wouldn't mind taking a little trip wink.gif

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Mar 25 2010, 10:01 PM) *
Is that ozzy in your avatar pic?

Yea.. Backstage after his latest Copenhagen show.

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 25 2010, 11:50 PM
Instructor
very cool man!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 26 2010, 11:11 PM
Instructor
Sorry to hear the news. I hope they will get some heads too. Did they have any other cabs in the store btw? Perhaps you could try different combinations, it can work.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 26 2010, 11:32 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Mar 25 2010, 11:01 PM) *
For the same reason I could get the 100W Artisan head for a steal

Get it! Put this amp in the octagon up against any other amp in the world and it will just crush all resistense! wink.gif

My local store doesn't sell the Artisan series a lot either, the simple explanation is that most people on the hunt for a new amp are looking for cheap Marshall MG'sm Vox's and such. Very seldom they get to see the expensive amps.
I think your stores reasoning doesn't hold up. HT series is a popular amp in a popular segment. Just saying that "Blackstar doesn't sell well because Artisan didn't" is just wrong.

Well, maybe they know more than me but I think they are jumping to conclusions. Artisan was first to hit the stores, can't base a brands popularity on their handwired and of course more expensive series.

So if you can get it at a steal, try to hassle some more, maybe have them throw a dist pedal in. I'd seriously concider it if I were you.

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Mar 27 2010, 09:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 26 2010, 11:32 PM) *
I think your stores reasoning doesn't hold up. HT series is a popular amp in a popular segment. Just saying that "Blackstar doesn't sell well because Artisan didn't" is just wrong.

Exactly my thought. They haven't even tried the HT series sad.gif

And yeah, I'm thinking of getting the Artisan. I might be able to get it a bit cheaper now that the cab is missing. And if I add one of the Blackstar distortion pedals it might even get the gain and versatility I need.

Still it's not that cheap. They've priced it at ~1100 euros at the moment (compared to the former overprice of 2000).

But I think I'll wait until they get more amps to put up against it smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 27 2010, 10:10 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I bet that You could resell it later, for more or same cash that You need to pay to get it:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 30 2010, 01:40 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 23 2010, 03:32 PM) *
Too loud for an apartement but so is the 50 watt JVM... No tube amp sounds to it's full potential at low volumes and it wears o[color="#0000FF"][/color]ut the tubes faster too!

Very well said Zakk. This is something to keep in mind when buying an amp. If you buy a nice tube head, it won't really shine on the dirty channel unless you push the tubes with good volume/gain. Getting that great "Marshal Tone" does involve a good bit of volume. A 50 watt Marshall will be quite loud in an apartment and might get you a visit from your neighbors when you turn it up to get tone.

If you plan to play at lower volume in the apartment, you can try to drive the signal with a pre-amp before it gets to the head but then you will get more of a "Hybrid" tone than straight marshall tone. You could also go for a pedal board / amp modeling device such as the gnx4 or line 6 pod. This would allow you to work at very low volumes using an emulation of the tone you are looking for. This is not the same thing as a marshall. But it's always good to take every factor, even volume in to consideration.

Todd
Todd's Instructor Profile

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 30 2010, 01:43 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:32 AM