Hi There :)
Dinaga
Sep 20 2011, 10:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi everybody!
I joined GMC about a month ago, but it took a little while to get used to all features of the site and I just started using the forums, so this is my first formal introduction I guess. smile.gif

My name is Dino and I'm from Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. I started playing guitar at the age of 17 but back then my "practice routine" was pretty much worthless and I lost a lot of precious time learning most guitar techniques the wrong way. I listened to a lot of Deep Purple records when I was a child thanks to my dad, and Metallica in my elementary school. When I discovered Iron Maiden in my high school the world of heavy metal opened to me, which remains my favourite music genre today. My favourite bands and artists, besides those already mentioned are Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, Rainbow, Dream Theater, Helloween, Dio, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Whitesnake, Paul Gilbert...

I took some classical lessons back then, other than that I'm self-taught, which is why I learned a lot of stuff the wrong way, especially alternate picking, which was a disaster. I got the habit of not alternating the whole way, but only "when it was easy", combining economy with alternate picking which made serious playing impossible. That's why I tried to hide my flaws with a lot of legato (which wasn't much better anyway biggrin.gif). When I realized I had to change my way of playing if I wanted to become successful, I started to improve. It took a lot of time to re-learn all those solos and licks the right way, but it definitely paid off!

But everything changed about a year ago, when I went with the singer of my former band to watch Muris Varajić live for the first time in my life, in a cafe called "Marquee" in my town. When I heard him perform Mojo Oro, Technical Difficulties, An Old Modern Time, For The Love of God and other "impossible" stuff I was mindblown. So mindblown in fact that I promised myself to be able to play at least half good as that biggrin.gif

And when I found out about GMC, I subscribed just to download Muris' lessons. I didn't plan to stay subscribed, just to take 1 month, download some stuff and learn that stuff. But when I saw this exceptional community, with guitarists being so experienced and good at their instrument and yet so generous, humble and willing to help while trying to learn more, admitting their own mistakes, I couldn't help but stay. biggrin.gif Everything is easier when you are in a community of people who understand you. I'm so glad I'm here bevause this made wonders to my practice routine, and now I'm not only improving the skills I knew I needed to improve, but I'm also discovering the skills I've never heard of before, and most importantly, I'm learning how other guitarists think, not only hearing how they play.

I guess that's all for now, sorry for the long intro! rolleyes.gif
Cheers! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
JD_
Sep 20 2011, 10:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Mate, That's a cool story... This place is awesome and it will provide you with the tools you need to progress quickly....Regardless of Musical Genre

Good Luck and I'll see you round cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Sep 20 2011, 12:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Dino, welcome to GMC!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Sep 20 2011, 01:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi, welcome!
You're right - this place is great!

Everyone I have spoken to here has been really motivated and helpful smile.gif

--------------------
be excellent to each other

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 20 2011, 01:49 PM
GMC:er
Welcome biggrin.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 20 2011, 06:46 PM
Instructor
welcome dude! enjoy the site and don't forget to shot PM if you need to!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 21 2011, 09:50 AM
Instructor
Dobrodosao Dino! smile.gif

Welcome aboard Dino, that is a very nice story! smile.gif If you need any help at all, you let us know. What are you working on at the moment?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 21 2011, 09:56 AM
GMC Founder
Welcome Dinaga and thanks for an awesome introduction!

Many of us have been blown away by Muris, and the GMC community. So you are among likeminded here =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Sep 21 2011, 03:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. smile.gif Hvala biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 21 2011, 08:50 AM) *
What are you working on at the moment?

At the moment I'm trying to learn Ben Higgins' solo for the song Defining Armageddon, but I'm trying to really pay attention to the vibrato and bends, not just the notes, so it might take some time until I get pleased with it. Besides that, I practice various alternate picking lessons, just to build up my speed. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 21 2011, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Dino! Great introduction! Welcome to the GMC community! It would be great if you can post takes in the Rec Program! This will allow us to give you some feedback about your playing. Check how the REC works: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=40697

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Sep 21 2011, 03:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 21 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Hi Dino! Great introduction! Welcome to the GMC community! It would be great if you can post takes in the Rec Program! This will allow us to give you some feedback about your playing. Check how the REC works: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=40697

Hehe thanks, I already did post one take (Neoclassical etude), and I will definitely continue as I move on wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Sep 21 2011, 04:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey man,
Welcome to GMC. Great introduction !

I just saw your REC take. Super !!!

Don't leave GMC (as you first intended to) but stay. You are an inspiration for other students.

Good luck

Nico wink.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 21 2011, 10:12 PM
Instructor
Dobrodosao druze smile.gif ! Anything you trebas - we will be srecni to help you !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 17 2011, 03:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Sep 20 2011, 09:29 AM) *
Hi everybody!
I joined GMC about a month ago, but it took a little while to get used to all features of the site and I just started using the forums, so this is my first formal introduction I guess. smile.gif

My name is Dino and I'm from Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. I started playing guitar at the age of 17 but back then my "practice routine" was pretty much worthless and I lost a lot of precious time learning most guitar techniques the wrong way. I listened to a lot of Deep Purple records when I was a child thanks to my dad, and Metallica in my elementary school. When I discovered Iron Maiden in my high school the world of heavy metal opened to me, which remains my favourite music genre today. My favourite bands and artists, besides those already mentioned are Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, Rainbow, Dream Theater, Helloween, Dio, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Whitesnake, Paul Gilbert...

I took some classical lessons back then, other than that I'm self-taught, which is why I learned a lot of stuff the wrong way, especially alternate picking, which was a disaster. I got the habit of not alternating the whole way, but only "when it was easy", combining economy with alternate picking which made serious playing impossible. That's why I tried to hide my flaws with a lot of legato (which wasn't much better anyway biggrin.gif). When I realized I had to change my way of playing if I wanted to become successful, I started to improve. It took a lot of time to re-learn all those solos and licks the right way, but it definitely paid off!

But everything changed about a year ago, when I went with the singer of my former band to watch Muris Varajić live for the first time in my life, in a cafe called "Marquee" in my town. When I heard him perform Mojo Oro, Technical Difficulties, An Old Modern Time, For The Love of God and other "impossible" stuff I was mindblown. So mindblown in fact that I promised myself to be able to play at least half good as that biggrin.gif

And when I found out about GMC, I subscribed just to download Muris' lessons. I didn't plan to stay subscribed, just to take 1 month, download some stuff and learn that stuff. But when I saw this exceptional community, with guitarists being so experienced and good at their instrument and yet so generous, humble and willing to help while trying to learn more, admitting their own mistakes, I couldn't help but stay. biggrin.gif Everything is easier when you are in a community of people who understand you. I'm so glad I'm here bevause this made wonders to my practice routine, and now I'm not only improving the skills I knew I needed to improve, but I'm also discovering the skills I've never heard of before, and most importantly, I'm learning how other guitarists think, not only hearing how they play.

I guess that's all for now, sorry for the long intro! rolleyes.gif
Cheers! laugh.gif

Hello mate!!! It's nice to meet you! GMC is a great website to learn music! It will take you some time to get use to the forum because there is so much information and you can find a lot of great information!!! Good luck and have fun!!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:30 PM