Pictures Brotherman Todd Simpson Requested, Marshall Cab
Mudbone
Oct 18 2010, 04:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
These are pictures of a Marshall JCM 800 1960a cab I just picked up the other day. Todd, you wanted to see 'em, and here they are smile.gif

Notice in one picture there is a baffle that runs down the middle of the cab. That is not original, I removed it and replaced it with a 2x4 that acts as a reinforcement post. The cab was also wired in stereo, that was also reversed, and now it runs at 16ohms mono.

I couldn't date the cab by Marshalls serial number, so I did it by the markings on the Celestion speakers. According to the chart on the Celestion website, the speakers were manufactured February, 1985, so I think its safe to assume the cab was made sometime around then.The marking that indicates the speaker manufacture date is stamped on the speaker chassis, which is visible in one of the pictures below.

Other than the fact that the tolex is a little rough and it smells like cigarettes and cheap air freshener, its a great cab that sounds amazing. I was quite fortunate to stumble across this cab for only $250.

Now that I know that this cab was made in the 80's, I'm just curious how many cheesy 80's hairy metal songs have been played through it tongue.gif

Baffle that was installed by previous owner

2x4 I installed

Marking indicating date of manufacture

Some kitty I found around my complex and put up for adoption on craigslist smile.gif Somebody claimed it within a matter of hours.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Oct 18 2010, 04:06 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 18 2010, 11:17 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Cab looks great man! And yes - its a very good prize for it.

That is a really interesting question. Imagine how many songs/players played through that cab in the past 25 years. I never though that way about "old" second gear I get and it makes a lot of sense actually. It would make a great documentary to follow one piece of music equipment through owners over time smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 18 2010, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 18 2010, 06:17 AM) *
Cab looks great man! And yes - its a very good prize for it.

That is a really interesting question. Imagine how many songs/players played through that cab in the past 25 years. I never though that way about "old" second gear I get and it makes a lot of sense actually. It would make a great documentary to follow one piece of music equipment through owners over time smile.gif

It would be great if we could track one piece of gear over the decades, not just to document all the songs that were played through it, but also to see everything that piece of gear has seen. Band fights, tours, after-hour parties, weddings, and the lead guitarist having extramarital affairs in the band room tongue.gif

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 18 2010, 05:41 PM
Instructor
awesome pics man!
I used the VK for a long time, pretty good head!!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 19 2010, 07:04 PM
Instructor
Niiice box! smile.gif

I don't like G12T75s that much, I have 2 myself, and they can have a bit harsh top end in general. But that box should be nicely built, looks very good. It's definitely a better box than today's Marshall boxes.

Great deal, may it serve you well! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 20 2010, 12:19 AM
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Oct 18 2010, 12:41 PM) *
awesome pics man!
I used the VK for a long time, pretty good head!!! wink.gif

Thanks dude, and yes the Valveking is a pretty good head, especially for pulling off 80's thrash metal, like early Metallica stuff.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 19 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Niiice box! smile.gif

I don't like G12T75s that much, I have 2 myself, and they can have a bit harsh top end in general. But that box should be nicely built, looks very good. It's definitely a better box than today's Marshall boxes.

Great deal, may it serve you well! smile.gif

Thanks man, I can see why you're not to fond of the G12T-75, its not the most versatile speaker out there, plus its very finicky about what housing its put in. It seems like it works best in these Marshall 412 cabs. I have tried new T-75's at Guitar Center, and they are a little harsh, these however have aged for 25 years, so they mellowed out a bit. However, they suit the Valveking very well, because the Valveking is very midrangey and a little dark.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2010, 01:01 AM
GMC:er
That's just killer! You can't beat that price too! Don't ever sell it. It's an heirloom! Looks to be in pretty good shape too! Really nice aquisition, congrats!

Todd

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 20 2010, 02:23 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 19 2010, 08:01 PM) *
That's just killer! You can't beat that price too! Don't ever sell it. It's an heirloom! Looks to be in pretty good shape too! Really nice aquisition, congrats!

Todd

Thanks dude, this one is definitely sticking around. I remember when I was kid I watched a Twisted Sister video and they had a stack of Marshalls behind them, and ever since then I wanted to have a Marshall stack. The fact that this is a JCM 800 cab from the 80's is just icing on the cake smile.gif

By the way, I just found a 5150 cab for $125 bucks, the cosmetics are really rough but the dude selling it says it sounds great. If I can talk him down to a $100 bucks or less I might go for it, even though I don't really need it tongue.gif (at least I'll have a full stack) What do you think?

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:57 PM